Doing my first track day

Discussion in 'Racing & Track Days' started by Chicky, May 3, 2009.

1. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    I should clarify... this is my first track day on MY bike. A couple weeks ago, I was able to get on the track on a Ducati Hypermotard for free. We were able to go pretty fast... over 100 on the straights. So, I've already experienced the nervous heart-pounding right before getting on the track, then then absolute calm as I navigate the turns... as well as a few minor pucker moments, that were easily corrected by head or body adjustments. This track day coming up will be in a class environment where it will most likely be more controlled than what we had on the Ducati's. I should also say that I have been riding for over 13 years, so yes, I definitely know how to ride within my limits. And, considering the VFR is the most expensive bike I've ever owned, I will most likely be taking it even easier on it than I did on the Ducati!!

Thanks for all who have expressed concern and warnings... I appreciate the thoughts and reminders to keep safety in the forefront of my mind.

2. betarace

betarace New Member

#1 rule of track days, dont push until you are comfortable and certain your tires are to temperature... be smooth

3. eddie cap

eddie cap New Member

VFR Chick; Well then it sounds like you have your head on pretty straight, the objective
    of any motor sporting event where you are a participant, is to leave the event with the same physical ability as you arrived with. It really only takes one small error to compound itself into 8-10 weeks of
    plaster and rehab. I didnt say the above to frighten you ,but I think you will have a much better prospective and more respect about racing/riding if you take it in small steps . eddie

4. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    Next question... fuses. I have found the fuses under my seat and have referred to my owners manual to understand which one(s) to remove to disable the lights. However, the owners manual is no help. Just Main Fuse A and Main Fuse B... so, anybody with a 6th gen able to help guide me to what to remove so I can disable the lights and be legal for the track? Or a way to do it without removing the fuse(s)?

Also an update: Got my used tires yesterday. Dunlop Qualifiers. Mounted, balanced, installed for $200.00. They are still in good shape with lots of rubber... although the DO have the bule streak on them!! :) My guy also drilled the holes and safety-wired everything for me, so I'm good there. Loved riding the Dunlops home. Just like any new set, they were nice and round and turns were so easy it was almost scary.

5. two4one

two4one New Member

United States
    Map
    Good deal Chick. Make sure you add some of the troll spray mentioned above so those used tires will stick :rolleyes: :biggrin:

6. indyvfr

indyvfr New Member

United States
    Map
    First, you'll remove the upper right cowl cover, to the right of the instrument cluster (by removing the 2-5mm hex bolts, one on top and one underneath, then removing the plastic retaining clip by pressing in the center of the clip, then pulling the whole thing out). The cowl cover will slide out and up. There should be 2 tabs in the side of the instrument cluster that the cowl slides into. The fusebox is located under the upper cowl and the fuses are all labeled on the top of the fusebox. I don't think you need to remove the plastic on the right side of the bike, but I already had mine off when I was looking for the fusebox. I hope this helps and good luck on the track!

7. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    You talking about the cover on the inside of the plastics? I had that off before I posted my question and didn't see anything that even slightly resembled fuses. Maybe the first time I do this, I need to take the plastics off too, so I can get a better view. BTW, for me to get it off, it was 1 hex bolt and 2 retaining clips. Guess I'm going to the shop for a lesson. I asked my guy on Saturday, but then both of us forgot about it.... sigh.

8. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    So, the service guys at the dealership had no clue where the fuses are... they referred to the manual and told me they are on the left side. So... last night, with the phone help of a very famous VFRW "expert" (who shall remain nameless, unless he chooses to name himself), I took off the RIGHT fairing and that little insert piece and voila... found the fuse box. Of course the whole operation took me over an hour. So, I'll be doing it again tonight and trying to see if I can do it without taking off the right fairing. Now that I know where it is, I'm looking for shortcuts. If I have to take off the right fairing, I need to do this multiple times before track day so I can do it quickly and efficiently.

Thank you so much for your help, oh nameless VFRW expert!! :)

9. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    K, so this worked. Once I had the plastics off and actually saw where the fuse box is, I put it back together and tried just taking that cover off. I had the wrong cover off before. Once I knew the right cover to take off, I found that with the plastics on, I could get that cover off with a little gentle tugging and shimmying. I can have that off, fuses out (or in) and cover back on in like 10 minutes... thanks for your help!!