Dropped.

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Patrycja, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
  2. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map

My guess is two of the pics are in Oregon, and one might be north to central Cal. Not SD though.

Sorry about your mishaps Patrycja. It happens to almost everyone at one time or another. Think of it as "battle wounds" from war. Gives character!

:vtr2:

3. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Great bike! (how could I help but not like it!) - And really smart with good gear too. :thumbsup:

4. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    What a bunch of BS this is. We all know there's no way jethro is EVER going to be in front of a bunch of super models! At least not if he has his helmet off.

Sucks that you dropped it, but look at the bright side - I bet a lot of people are STILL envious of your bike even if it does have a few character marks or scratches.

I'd follow the advice of always making sure you're on the bike when you move it around - even if its just a couple of feet (meters). I'm 6+ feet and 240 pounds, and I still won't mess around with trying to move it. Once it starts to go over, you'll be hard pressed to stop it.

I'm more of a curser than a cryer, but when its all said and done, you still got yourself a great machine.

Rock on with the gear!

5. AllBlackPearl

AllBlackPearl New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Cześć Patrycja! Dzień dobry i witamy!

Don't worry too much about your wee mishaps. Most bikes (and riders) will go through this at some point.
    All my bikes had scars. Me, too..
    Just to make you feel better: With my previous bike, the FZ-1, I topped you by far. One night I was trying to get her home through the snow. At some point the road turned into nothing but black ice with a slight cover of snow. So I had to drop her. Picked her up, tried to get going somehow, realised that 145 hp is too much for these conditions, dropped her again. To cut the story short, I dropped her five times within half an hour or so. Then I left her on the side of the road and walked home. :cool:
    I also crashed her at 120 km/h in a tunnel. Ran out of corners a few times and had to let her go in order not to hit the crash barrier. I always built her up, but man did she have scars. I personally think that scars are damn sexy. :cool:
    In the end she tried to fight it out with a car and lost. The scars she got there were too deep. R.I.P.

Oh and even better - back in the days, when I had my first bike I once forgot to remove the brake disc lock. With all my neighbours watching (and my parents) I went right over the bar and did a nice somersault onto the tarmac. Now THAT was embarrassing.

I hope reading about idiots like me makes you feel a bit better! Haha. :cool:
    In the end a bike, even such a beauty, is for riding in the first place not for looking at it all day. Y'know what I mean?

Oh, and looking at your pics I realised that I'm in love with three things (and I only dare to say that cos I'm so far away...):
    The bike! What a beauty. Almost as stunning as mine. Just kidding.
    The scenery! Breathtaking.
    The rider! Girl, you look gorgeous on this bike. And without it, I suppose. :hss:

So dry your tears, stop swearing and get on the bike for some ridin' !

Czymaj się!

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Go for after market for the mirrors. For about $35.00 you get a pair shipped. Losts on Ebay. OEM will cost you an arm and leg. Make sure the originating seller is USA not China. There are a few from California. You will get it in about a week. You can't tell the OEM from the after market unless you are really anal.

Like I said, I dropped mine in San Diego this spring and broke the right mirror. I do have a left one you can have. Brand new, not a scratch. You pay the shipping and it is yours. You will need a paypal account though. If you are interested, send me a PM. I will need an email address to send the request for funds via paypal. You can also send me you shipping address where I can send the mirror.

7. risgett

risgett New Member

Map
    Patrycja,
    I just bought a 2007 RWB Memorial day weekend and towed it home on a motorcycle trailer. Promptly after unloading it and in front of my wife, kids, friends and neighbors....I went to leave on it, stalled it leaving my yard and dropped it.(unlevel ground and by the time my foot touched mother earth, it was too far gone for me to stop it) It was so embarrasing that I didn't ride it for a week. But then I got up the next saturday and decided I didn't buy it to look at, so I jumped back in the saddle and never looked back. Then about a month later my neighbor dropped it while moving it around his shop(I had left it there while I was out of town) and broke the mirror and clutch handle off. It has a few scratches now, but I figure if I fix them I'll just drop it again.:rolleyes: Hope all of our stories help you to feel better.
    BTW, beautiful pics! (and the bike is pretty too:wink:)

8. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map
    Now you see I am the same way!!!! You know whos to blame and needs a good curseing out! Sir Frackin Isaac Newton! If that a-hole wouldnt have invented gravity we would never drop our bikes! That M.effer needed to stick with what he knows best....makeing delicious square cookies filled with figs.

A friend of mine bought a "new to him" 98 VFR. The day he got it I went over to his house to see his bike. He still hadnt showed up and a couple of buddies also showed up to see his great new purchase. We are at the front of his house when he pulls up on this very nice looking red VFR. He saw us admireing the bike. Revs it a few times in the driveway....kills the engine....then gets off the bike....forgetting to put the kickstand down. Man we had a good laugh but at the same time we felt just as bad as he did. He is in his 50s and has been rideing since he was a teenager. So dont be hard on yourself... it can happen to anyone.

9. Patrycja

Patrycja New Member

Map
    Done. I've sent you the PM. Let's make it happen :smile:

10. Patrycja

Patrycja New Member

Map
  11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Only moving a bike while you're sitting on it ???????? For me, never!

I feel in far more control standing next to a bike than paddling my feet and can turn tighter also.

12. Patrycja

Patrycja New Member

Map
    You know, I was a bit hesitant to post about dropping my bike as my first thread on this forum. I didn't want to be seen as some stupid brod who drops her bike left and right (on top of that being Polish!:rolleyes:). The ego, you know... However, after reading all your posts and stories, I'm so so glad I did it anyways. It might sound (well, read) cliche but having that support and hearing that other people have done that too, especially guys, makes me feel like it's normal and truly, it's not such a big deal. I really appreciate you taking the time to post your stories because it made a big difference for me. Now, I feel ready to fix it and stop worrying about it, and ever more importantly, stop beating myself up.

Also, thanks for all the advice. I figured that trying to move it without sitting on it might not be the best strategy for me after all. I also figured that, when I have to stop on the uphill and take my hands off the handlebars, it would be probably better to just kill the engine switch in first gear and then, turn it back on when I'm done f-ing around, instead on trying to put it in neutral, sitting with one foot on the rear break and hope that I can put it back in first gear without having Hercules strength to push it forward (painfully learned while trying to enter Laguna Seca races this year with a looooong line of bikes behind me). Finally, the lesson from my crash - always wear full gear and don't ride tired, angry and without caffeine in your system.

Now, to answer your questions about the location of the photos: 1) somewhere off of Hwy 1 on our way back from Alice's Restaurant to Santa Cruz, 2) Lake Tahoe loop in NV, 3) on friend's driveway in Portland, OR. Me and my friend took a road trip this summer ending in Laguna Seca to watch MotoGP.

Again, big THANK YOU to all of you. I feel so welcomed and can't wait to post about some good stuff now:cool:

p.s. Thanks for the compliments for both, me and my VFR.

13. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    My 600 F3 was the only bike I dropped, twice, and got hit once. My 900 was involved in a hit & run, along with two other bikes that night. Only time it was down :frown: This bike, well, where is that wood? (knock, knock) hasn't. There's been worse stores. Friend of mine, as a salesperson, while he was inside signing the papers the g/f was outside seeing if she could handle the bike. She couldn't. Less than 1/2 mile on the bike and it's on it's side. When I took my bike in for the 600 mile checkup, some other guy had just bought a shadow 1100 and in pulling away from the stop sign from the side street kept stalling it. Used to Hardly, he told me. Dumped it, twice, trying to get it going. No plastic, fell over in the dirt, but still. Twice within minutes of ownership?
    A buddy sold his bike and delivered it, as new owner didn't have a motorcycle license. He got off, took off his plates, jumped in the car, left, saw some buddies at the end of the alley, talked to them for a couple of minutes left. Couple of days later he runs into one says that he should of stuck around about another minutes. New owner got on it, started it up, revved it up (that's what they heard) and about 2 seconds later his bike comes shooting out of the alley, unmanned, hits the curb, bounces from left side to right side, just destroyed everything.

14. CBRent

CBRent New Member

United States
    We all do it. Some better. Some worse. Here is my garage tip over last year. Maybe my pain will ease yours.

I was *so* fricken mad...

The VF1000F was fine, but I wanted to swap the voltage regulator because a buddy was riding it with me that day. Boo!

We all understand because it happens to all of us.

Attached Files:

15. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map
    Goodness gracious another pretty lady on the site, what's this forum coming to............

Seriously tho, we've all done it, some of us will do it again. I'm more for the cursing personally, but I understand all forms of emotion when the dropping or one's baby is concerned. I ditched mine the first time trying to put her up on the centerstand on my smooth concrete shop floor :doh: RH saddlebag got the worst of it, and I got to test out my shiny new R&G sliders I had recently installed.........worth the money!!

FWIW, my girl calls em battle scars and she's proud of em!!!! Now go give your VFR a hug, say you're sorry, and ride the tires offa her :vtr2:

16. Metallican525

Metallican525 New Member

Map

That's a double awshit there, owwie!

17. Patrycja

Patrycja New Member

Map
    Big thanks to Randy for sending me a new left mirror. THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH :smile:

18. Marrib

Marrib Insider

United States
    Map
    Funny that you got that extra mirror from Randy, Patrycja. It was at my house on 40th and Ray for a while before Randy road down here from Canada. Good thing he brought it back to AZ.

It's pretty hot outside the last two weeks. Have you ridden in it? I was in Tempe on Sat and Sunday (Mill) on the bike. But it was relatively early. But I'm headed to Oregon on the bike on Thurs. Portland to ride with my brother for a few then south and west. I have to hit Bend at some point but mostly it will be roads like 43 out from Corvallis and 42 back out to Bandon. Since I'm from Astoria, I've ridden the Claskanie to Myst and out to Jewel numerous times. Fun when they are not covered in leaves or gravel.

Have you been up the North side of South Mtn (Central Ave)?

19. Patrycja

Patrycja New Member

Map
    What a coincidence - 40th&Ray - that's really close to where I live! Funny. Well, I'm glad it's coming back to AZ then =)
    I ride to work every day (no car), but I haven't gotten much anywhere else because I can't handle the heat very well and get overheated easily. So, waiting for cooler weather to go for a longer ride. And yes, I've been to South Mountain couple of times, but it's been a while.
    It sounds like tons of fun for you though going to Oregon. I've been there just couple of weeks ago and loved it. Nice, cool and green... We'll need to wait few more weeks for those temperatures around here. If you're passing through, I highly recommend going for a ride to Crater Lake - absolutely breathtaking view and such a fun ride (Beckie's Restaurant is a must too - awesome pie!).

20. diVeFR

diVeFR New Member

United States
    Map

NOOOO!!!!!! WAITTT!!!!!!!! DOOOONTTTTT!!!!!!! AWWWWW tooo late!

Your new here so I feel its my duty to warn you about Randy.... You see he is Canadian..... They have some strange cutoms up there. By him giving you the mirror you inadvertantly accepted his hand in a permanent union. It goes back to the olden days for him when he was living in a cave and dragging his knuckles. Not much has changed since then for him. Aw man this is not good. Well lucky for you I know how you can break this union... You must first announce that the "The USA has the Stanley Cup!" at the top of your lungs. Then you have to gather a whole bunch of leaves....any type of leaves and pour maple syrup over them then set fire to the pile. While the fire is going you must repeat these words...."the CFL really isnt football" at least 20 times. This should suffice in breaking off the union ..... If all this fails to keep him away...mace works pretty good

:biggrin:
    :chaingun: