Dunlop Qualifier Q2 review (euro Sportsmart)

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by betarace, Jun 20, 2010.

1. betarace

betarace New Member

just got back from a 300 mile scrub in ride on the new Dunlop Q2s with 2wheel'tone. We rode from Middleburg (va), Roundhill (va), Shepherdstown (wv), Sharpsburg/Antietam(md), accidentally wound up in PA (whoops) and back to Middleburg via Martinsburg(wv)

Anyway, mixed use riding we saw it all:
    twisties, wet/soggy leaves, superslab, grated asphalt, tar snake heaven you name it.

I ran with the $200 front rear 120/180 from a few weeks ago on my Gen3 and am coming off a pair of Pirelli Diablos (actually 4 pairs in a row). First of all, let me disavow this BS rumor that a 180 turns in slower than a 170. For these tires any way, the Q2 (due to profile) turns in MUCH faster than the Diablos, but requires slightly (maybe 5-10%) more effort on the initial countersteer (i.e., the first 1/4" of bar travel), but once over they have tons of grip for miles.

Due to the newness and the roads we were on, I was only able to get to about a 1/2" chicken strips left. The tires heated up very quickly (about 1/2 the time of the diablos) and felt very stable right out of the box. Due to a stiffer sidewall, feel is better than the diablos but not over the top bone jarring like a stiff carcass BT016 (rode a set on my 999, sucked). Any lean angle or turn radius is easily set and forgotten about as the tires hold their line, don't require any additional inputs and are happy at any lean angle.

One of the roads (harpers ferry to shepherdstown) has graded pavement in many of the turns (for drainage) and usually the bikes get nervous over that, the Q2s tracked well, provided a lot of reassuring feedback and didnt flinch.

After each of the 3-4 gas stops, the tire was hot and ready to go within a mile or two (it was a hot day, 93) but never got greasy or nervous. Linear to the edge once turned in, a really nice profile compromise between V (michelin) and U (pirelli/metzler/bridgestone).

My only fault with them is on the superslab section, when following 18wheelers the wind buffeting made the bike feel weedy (slow speed wander) at about 85mph. In clean air straight line stability wasnt an issue and I took the bike up to 115-120 several times to check this.

Overall, a new standard in Sporty/Trackish tires, for the money (can find them for $180 a set) they blow away my Diablos (usually pay about $225) and my Diablo Corse III on the 999 (usually pay about $320 for them). I am going to buy a few sets at these crazy low prices.

Lovem, A+

p.s., no idea about wear, but I still have the nipples on them... will update at the end of life, but I anticipated 4-5K miles based on other internet and mag reviews

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  2. 2wheel`tone

2wheel`tone New Member

Map
    I will second how great these tires hold their line over my previous Michelins. Going from the pilots to the Q2's it was a big difference in transfers. Pilots being V shaped would turn in with little to no effort. Now even though I have to put forth more effort for the q2's I feel the bike can reach new levels of cornering with these tires. The stabilty and comfort through the turns over the pilots, is just something I cant get over.

+1 on Dunlop Q2's .

3. MAKALUMA

MAKALUMA New Member

Dunlop Sportmax Q2 heats up quickly...very good in cornering, I applied 34 psi on front and 35 rear for my 07 VFR.

4. betarace

betarace New Member

just bought a set of 120/190 for the Duc - they are awesome

5. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the review, where did you get them? Cheapest I found was $310 for front/rear at ridedirect.com

6. betarace

betarace New Member

7. emon07

emon07 New Member

United States
    Map
    I have been waiting for the Dunlop SportSmart tires. I am running Dunlop RoadSmart tires on my VFR and I really love them. I have Dunlop D209s on my R1 and they are good quality tires but I hate them. If I cannot get the SportSmart tires for my R1 then I am gonna use Dunlop RoadSmart tires.

8. betarace

betarace New Member

sportsmarts and Q2s are the same thing... they are sold as sportsmarts in the UK and Q2s here

9. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    After coping an earful from a mate on the weekend about how much better these Sportmax/Q2s are than his previous 2 * BT16s on his GSXR1000K9 I have a set on order for tomorrow morning to replace my now shagged front & rear R2s.

10. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Just got back from 3 day 1100 mile ride to my favourite Alpine twisties and can now report the Q2s are really very good much better through the tight stuff than my previous set of R2s. The Q2s are not only quicker to turn in they give precise feedback making linking those sets of tight corners together a breeze and threading along the long distance winding Alpine range much easier and faster.

While already impressed by the Q2s for grip and feedback mileage wise it's still early days, the 2 sets of R2s lasted approx 10000m miles front and 8000 rear without a flat whereas the earlier 4 sets of Pilot Powers tended to last approx 5500 front and 3600 rear and suffered 2 wet weather rear flats due to wearing down paper thin so will be interesting to see how the Sportmaxs wear.

11. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map
    I love my Q2's so far. I have about 1.5k on them, lots of superslab and they show no sign of flat spotting. The dual compound makes a difference here as I am getting great mileage so far, with nice sticky cornering.

12. teethandnails

teethandnails New Member

I am running them now on my 2007 RWB. I find the slowness of turn in to be a little annoying. It may not matter as much on a lighter bike... but the VFR isn't exactly a lightweight. I think I may go bridgestone next time.

13. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Interesting, agree they are a little slower to turn in them my earlier triangular profiled quick wearing Michilen Powers were but they are quicker to turn in than my previous slow wearing R2s so if their mileage is inbetween the two for me that and the nice feel in corners makes them just right.

Have heard for a full Sports biased road tyre the Micheln Pures are the Duck guts at the moment. :cool:

14. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

I got a set of Q2s fitted today and took them for a burn through my local twisties. They feel verrrrrrry different to the Metzelers I had on previously. The Q2s feel incredibly planted, almost as if they don't want to move at all, but when you make the appropriate level of input they gently roll onto the line you've chosen and stay exactly where they are put. I am very impressed with these tyres. Sadly, the weather here is going to be shitty all weekend so I won't get to see how close to the edge I can get but I can honestly say that I was comfortably doing 15km/h more than I usually would have on my old tyres.

15. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Dunlops have always given me confidence so naturally it was my choice for track days and local riding. On the slab the rear wears fast so watch for the flat spot to appear as early as 1500 miles if your are touring with them. That doesn't mean that they are shagged at 1500, just that you can see the center develop a flat spot. By 3000 to 3500 of slab work, they probably won't pass a safety inspection here in Canada. So that confidence comes at a price but I'm willing to pay the extra keep my paint and riding gear nice. I think the most appropriate word to keep in ming when looking at tires is "compromise".

16. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    I am a fan of the Q2. I had to put on a new front and the Q2 tracks where I point it and feels rock solid. My Q2 is way better than the Pirelli that was on there. Of course the Pirelli was fully shagged when I got the bike, so it is NOT a fair comparison. Nonetheless, stellar feedback (like in this thread) from sport riders is why I went with the Q2 and I don't regret it one bit.

Jose

17. dogman

dogman New Member

Australia
    Map
    I am a fan also of the Q2s, I run them on my CBR1000RR and it feels like you can chuck it at any corner at almost any speed.
    The tradoff is the rear only last 5000Kms if you're lucky.