Electrical Loads

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Jeff_Barrett, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Ah crap.

I didn’t notice this was a 6th Gen thread. Also, I have the bike on the center stand. I can still lower the side stand of course.

Thank you for your help, despite my error.

2. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Well, since we are here. I found that orange connector under some black electrical tape. Would not have looked there if you hadn't pointed me too it!
    IMG_4695.JPG

Attached Files:

3. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    Ah ha, a 5th gen and glad you appear to have found the fault, good job.

Are you any good at soldering?
    Photo shows how a repair was done by completely removing the block and neatly soldering the whole bunch together, there's no need to solder in an extra or separate earth wire as this guy did. Place some heat shrink sleeving over it then tape it back onto the harness. From memory there might be two or three green wires that actually Go to Ground, they might be the slightly thicker gauge ones, the other wires are from various devices/sensors and the buss bar link joins them all together including the real grounds. Your burnt connector seems to be a thicker gauge wire, so it's probably one of the main real grounding wires.

Up to you how you go about fixing it, more than one way to skin a cat! but the important thing is to make sure all of those wires are well connected to each other, and once joined you can measure virtually Zero Ohms (continuity) from the bunch of wires back to the battery Negative terminal, not just to frame!

Good luck with the repair.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  4. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I did cut off the connector and I soldered each pair together. I see now that was unnecessary to do it that way! :p

5. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Well, I got no fuel pump prime from soldering the individual pairs for grounds. I cut each pair off the orange connector and then soldered them, so if I mixed the up I really don't know how I did it.

I did some checking and I had 0v at the fuel pump. The ESR and FCR were not coming on either.

On a lark, I decided to hold all the soldered ends together and see what happened. I got my fuel pump to prime! So, I cut all my soldered connections and wrapped the wires like in your photo and re-soldered them.

The bike fired right up and I have 13.9 to 14. 2 volts at anything just off idle with high beams on. At idle I have 13.7v with high beams on. I have 14.0v at idle with high beams on. Before I was only getting about 12.3 - 12.6 volts and the FI light was on. No more FI light. w00t!

Thanks a lot for your help with my 5th gen. I guess this is the same problem and solution for 6th gen?

6. Grum

Grum New Member

Australia
    That's great news BUT you are naughty! The wires are NOT "individual pairs". It's the plug in Buss Bar within the Ground block that does the job of joining ALL wires together as a bunch.
    I did mention that ALL of those wires needed to be joined together, if not, then ONLY the devices that you soldered to the real Ground wires will be active, the rest will be DEAD.

So provided you've managed to get them all soldered properly together you should have no further ground issues, would pay to sleeve your soldered wires with Heatshrink tubing then black tape it all back to the harness, job done.

Your Charging Volts look great - All systems go!

There are definetly some subtle differences with the 6gen grounding and the Ground block is not located in the same spot as the 5gen. Also there is No mention in any Service Manual regards these Ground Blocks, and without knowing they exist you could have a crazy time trying to figure out why you have multiple failures caused by ground issues!

Pleased you're up and running. Enjoy your Ride.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  7. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, I realized my error after the fact. The jumpers aren't individual wires, it is groups of wires.