Electrical Smell and Headlight Lost

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by tb8mn, May 6, 2012.

1. tb8mn

tb8mn New Member

Hello All,

I have a 2007 RWB with just under 10K miles. Since the bike had less than 500 miles I've had HID lights and have had no problem.

The other day I started my bike and had it idling on the sidewalk before I took off. I smelt something which smelt electrical. As I was trying to locate the scent I watched my headlight go out.

The bike ran fine, started and idled completely normal. However, I had to leave for work so I parked it not sure what the problem could be.

Just wondering where I should start in my quest to fix the problem. I am down in Southern California and this beautiful weather is making me hate driving my truck (let alone gas prices).

I've spent some time looking through several forums and haven't found anything. I appreciate the help!

Travis

2. Apittslife

Apittslife New Member

Map
    Not being a smart a$$, But 1st. thing to look at would be your HID's & the wiring for the headlights. I would guess that is where the problem is. Since you smelled melted plastic, you can follow your nose as well!

Goodluck, & I hope it's a simple fix, so you can be on the road again.

3. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Did your HIDs use a ballast? or were they just replacement bulbs? I know that fluorescent ballast smell foul when they go out, very much like burning plastic. You might check the ballast first if they are the kind that use them.

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Where are you in So cal? I might be able to help

5. pjvtec

pjvtec New Member

Map
    I lost one of my headlight relays. I had no lo-beams, but hi-beams worked. There are 2 of them. One for each beam. Remove the windshield, and the black plastic piece under windshield. They're mounted to the cowl stay. Switch them. Do your lo-beams work. A lot of heat gets trapped in that front cowl area. It might have cooked 'em.