Expensive days off....

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by alter ego, Aug 7, 2008.

1. alter ego

alter ego New Member

Map
    Last week I finally got the weekend (Saturday & Sunday) off. I went for a ride and met a friend over at my local dealership and we always check out the new stuff and then go for a ride. This was strange for me because I was surprised at how busy they are on Saturdays and the bikes that show up are incredible. Anyways we went inside and there were plenty of things to look at including a new yellow 1098 and a red 848. I've seen them before and I never wanted to sit on them except once when I thought they might be too extreme. Well this was different. I couldn't stop thinking about that 1098 and Monday I was on the phone scheduling a test ride for Tuesday. That bike is incredible!!! Handling is crisp, the steering is right there and the motor is so tractable and not intimidating but powerful. I bought it that day and my RWB is now on their showroom with the pipes, power commander, and lots of great memories from the last year and a half. I think we all go through this like I've said in the past. Sometimes it just takes the right set of circumstances and an unscheduled day off. I've been looking at other bikes since the time I got my VFR and I'm so happy I had it. That would have been a great bike to keep with the 1098 but $$$$ prevented that as well as room. I put 112 miles on it Tuesday and I had no issues with discomfort.... although traffic reminds you the pipe comes up awful close to the right thigh!!!! Probably gonna be sterile before long. If you havn't seen the 1098 in yellow I posted a pic since most are red. I'm trying to get my cel linked up so I can get some shots on the road.

Attached Files:

2. K1W1

K1W1 New Member

Map
    Congrats! I'm sure many are envious (most probably won't admit it!) I'm sure the Duc will serve you well!!

3. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    That bike is HOT! Not sure I would drop the VFR for it, but I don't think anyone could blame ya. Have fun with her.

4. VFRShorty

VFRShorty New Member

awesome bike!!! congrats on the purchase :smile:

5. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Take it to the track and spank that 1098!

6. ILVFR75

ILVFR75 New Member

very cool bike. love the Ducs. i've thought about one too, but the nearest dealer is 60 miles away. the maintenance expense concerns me as well. have fun with it and ride safe!

oh yeah, you gotta put some Termi's on there too. love that sound!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  7. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

sooooooooooo nice. Congrats.
    any more pics?

8. alter ego

alter ego New Member

Map
    I'll be out riding this weekend so I can post a few more pics. I'll try with my camera instead of the phone anyway. Better access for downloading. I'm not sure I want to go on a Ducati Forum, its different there and it feels like I'm leaving home or something. Hopefully you guys don't mind if I stay on the forum even if my bike speaks Italian now?.?.

9. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    Hang out. It's cool as long as you don't get snooty.
    Lot's of Duc fans here anyway.

10. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Awesome

Have fun with the bike, You will not regreted. I hope you well aware of the Maintenant fee......................:ncb::ncb::ncb:

11. Gui4J

Gui4J New Member

yo lucky so and so:tongue: just make sure you ride it like you stole it:ncb:

12. NeverlosT

NeverlosT New Member

oh man. Did you get that at Razees? I saw the red 848 in there on monday and drooled on it. I have thought before about making the trade... we will see....

Awesome choice, I love the color. Wow. Im in Narragansett, we should meet up to ride!

13. SLOVFR

SLOVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Just courious on how much more $$ the insurance went to??

14. Action

Action New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats, the 1098's are sex on wheels. Hope you have lots of great times on it. Glad you are sticking around, it will be intresting hearing your thoughts about it as you ride it more.

Action

15. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    That's one fine looking bike, Congrats!!! I've often thought about buying a Ducati but I was always worried about the reliability and maintenance cost. How about doubling or tripling that one day mileage and then tell us how you feel? :tongue:

You aren't gonna give us the "I'M BETTER THAN YOU" look that we get from most Ducati riders are ya?

Regards,
    Rollin

16. alter ego

alter ego New Member

Map
    Thanks everybody, This could be intiresting for some people to see what its like to live with this bike..... I think it will be good info for everyone. SLOVFR, Insurance went up $300 per year from my VFR. Not bad really, I have been with Geico for years so they took care of me pretty well. Neverlost, I did get it at Razees and we should ride sometime..... I have a hectic schedule but Sundays are my riding day. That 848 is just about perfect, talk to John he is the enabler over there that got me! The .9-2.9% financing is on 1098s though and the 848 is hot right now. So far its still setting in that that thing is in my garage. I thought about it a lot but I never thought it would happen. If you get a chance to ride one it isn't as crazy as we imagine. The riding position is definitely more aggressive but not in an inhuman way. The bars are right where they should be and the seat is sculpted well and the padding is gel like. The exhaust throws some heat in traffic, that is no joke. I thought the heat from the motor on my VFR was bad..... This gets pretty uncomfortable!!! Once you get some open road though that bike is magic. Everything makes perfect sense as soon as you lean it into a corner. That chassis is very responsive to body positioning and weight transfer, get it right and you have a huge grin in your helmet. All you guys that go to the track or really try to ride with good technique would LOVE this machine. I think it makes you want to be a better rider. I'm riding this weekend, I'll probably get a couple of hundred miles on it and break it in some more. The motor is strong but I havn't really gone over 5500 rpm yet. Its pretty fast though and it doesn't take much to get it going. Theres still some breaking in going on but I'm going by the book. Like I said I'll try to give some idea how it is on distance, gas mileage, and the maintenance. I did get the quotes for the services.... Valve adjustments are every 7500 miles and cost about $415. Not too bad. For what it is and its capabilities I can't really complain about that!!!

17. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Very, Very Nice! I'm a sucker and still holding out to see what's going to become of the vfr in september, if it goes 1k, and 5 cylinders, it will be knockin' on the door....i'm really hoping the vfr goes 990 in '08. i'm also waiting for the Aprilia V4 if the 1k VFR doesn't happen.....Congrats on your bike.

18. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    I would love to have black 1098S sitting beside my RWB. Need to go buy a lotto ticket, back in a bit. Well done Alter.

19. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Very nice! Congrats! I love those bikes! I didn't know that they offered the 1098 in yellow, but then again, but don't pay attention to Duc colors that much anyways. Enjoy boss!

20. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    Sweeet,good for you.When you ride a vfr ,it takes one to a higher level of the sport,beautiful machinery and design.The ducatis rock,just a dollar more.My bud races his cbr6 and saves the italian for his personal enjoyment.He suggested the vfr for my size.Enjoy the new bike,break that thing in like smart,then...rrrip it.Have fun,I'm jelous.sss