Faceshield fogging up

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Maliboost, Sep 5, 2008.

1. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I cam breath through my bum but everyone leaves when I do that! Especially when I exhale!

2. kd4ysi

kd4ysi New Member

United States
    Map
    i use rainx anti fog it works for me on my fulmore

3. cuttingedge

cuttingedge New Member

Pour 2 ounces of distilled white vinegar in a medium sized bowl.
    Add 1 quart hot water (Preferably Distilled)
    Dip a clean, lint-free cloth into mixture.
    Lightly wring out cloth.
    Wipe face shield with cloth.
    Allow to dry.
    Buff out any hazing with a soft microfiber cloth.

I would suggest testing on an inconspicuous corner of the shield first to make sure there are no problems.

Jason

4. Fizz

Fizz New Member

Map
    My HJC came with anti-fog shield, the coating's since worn off.

The only time it fogs is when I'm sitting still, so I just crack the lid open, after I'm up to a brisk pace, the fog is gone, just flip the shield down and ride on.

EDIT: Oh, but Pro Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish helps a LOT. And it makes the inside smell like pina colada

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  5. Scudrunr

Scudrunr New Member

Map
    I was wondering what I was going to do about fogging...

Then I bought a Nikon Riflescope that came with an antifog cloth. It WORKS! I can ride for an hour and never get any fog in 40* conditions. By the time I get to work there might be a little bit of moisture in the corners of the visor but not fog.

This is what I'm talking about: Nikon Fog Eliminator
    Every morning I give my visor a quick rub with the dry cloth from the inside and I'm good to go!

I would stay away from the rain-x stuff. A buddy claims that it crazed his visor, also who wants to ride around with a murky visor.

6. steven113

steven113 New Member

I am not sure if I would want to try it with a plastic visor because it is somewhat abrasive but divers have washed there goggles with toothpaste and water to stop this problem for years and years. If you do try it however use very little pressure on the lens to prevent hazing or cloudyness from fine scratches

7. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I know little about this Nikon product but reasoning would tell me that it is used for camera lenses that are far more finely ground than a plastic face shield. Our camera buffs on this site may shed more light on this. But you must consider that tooth paste had a polishing compound in them as well. Our dentist friends could shed some light on this as well. My thinking is that a product you use on a camera lense would be far less abrasive than tooth paste. So for the sake of running the risk of having to replace a relatively inexpensive face shield, and for the sake of the safety factor possibly gained in using the Nikon, product, I think I will give it a try.

8. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Lots of interesting ideas here.

I've always been a fan of this: Anti Fog Glass, Plastic, Windshield, and Jewelry Cleaners & Polish - The Purple Stuff

Its not perfect, although it does work pretty darn well, in my opinion. It does have a million and one other uses as well.

The little 2oz bottle is great to carry around for a quick clean as well. Although if you want to save a few bucks, just buy the a larger size, and then go to the local pharmacy and buy multiple 2oz spray bottles for a dollar each.

9. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

for those that care, Im doing a test of my own to evaluate different products. the initial down & dirty.................. shaving cream jell is kicking ass.

a more complete report & pictures to come in a couple of weeks, followed by another test with other shaving creams/soaps.

Bob

10. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    A couple of weeks??? C'mon, its started to get chilly out. We need results now! Just kidding - looking forward to your info.

11. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

"Chilly" is kinda subjective isent it?? My guess is that your "chilly" is my "down right cold". ..... LOL.

I did my time though. I spent a winter in Philly & on my little 500, that was like 3 years. LOL.

Bob

12. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Randy, I just have to tell you that you are a hoot! You have some keen observations and often make me laugh. I am amazed you can post as much as you do. Thanks for being on board.

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I hope my post about the tooth paste was not taken the wrong way by the author. I am planning on giving this a try as well. I wasn't suggesting the abrasive in the tooth past was like 80 grit or anything but it is a polish. I have tried the shaving cream (Foam) with poor results. I will also try the shaving gel. My bets lck thus far has been with dish washing liquid, but it does leave a film that I have learned to accept.

Being the Scottie I am, I will end up using the best overall considering the price of it.

Keep the suggestions coming people. Who know, one of you out there may find the "miracle" solution.

14. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Well, my Icon has a "fog-free" visor so I don't mess with other stuff but what about trying the goo that they sell at dive shops? I used it on my mask when snorkeling recently and it worked pretty well. BUT, it did seem to be a bit "smeary" so I can't vouch if it will be good for a MC visor application.

15. nsx2

nsx2 New Member

I have read on other forums and Motorcycle Consumer News that the Foggy is the most effective and you don't have to put anything on your shield. No responses here though.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  16. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    On my RF1000 I use the lower left locking tab in the reverse direction to crack open half a click when used in combination with breath guard, rear vents open and chin curtain out seems to work ok in preventing fog up.

17. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

On my old shoei the breath guard worked well, but on this new one it rubs on my nose & iritates me, which is why I took it back out again.

Ive not been able to finish up my little product test, because its been 85* here & no real fog to speak of. I dunno if thats good or bad. LOL.

Bob

18. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map

Dito.. been there to Jason. tried a lot of stuff. nothing really works but when you think of it why would they, they don't hinder the condition. also try breathing down wards if you can, not through thy nose. I will say Plexus visor cleaner seems to help keep it at bay a wee bit as it has a coating of sorts that doesn't let moisture adhere well, but the bottom line is nothing will really work, as it's a temperature thing with moisture in the air, put the wrong combo together and wa'la fog or in this case a visor you can't see through..

19. Killswitch0926

Killswitch0926 New Member

United States
    Map
    On my helmet I have a leather flap that you insert on the helmet that covers top of your nose and cheeks so your breathe doesn't reach up to the face shield. Therefore no fog!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

+1 - I got mine at a ski shop for $2 and it lasted two winters. Good cheeet man.

This thread, however, is going to end up like a oil or tire rant. :cheersaf: