Feeling bad about the Viffer

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jayzonk, Feb 28, 2009.

1. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    You guys rule. :thumbsup:
    I love my bike.

2. H.C.D.

H.C.D. New Member

Tell your salesman that I've got his thick crankshaft right here....

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Crankshaft thickness? - yup- thats a great engineering term....he knows all about it. :eek:

Total BS.....

MD

4. Mainjet

Mainjet New Member

United States
    Map
    Ya, tell him he can thick crankshaft this.

5. jay956

jay956 New Member

dont forget their beady eyes

6. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Is this a South Park Terrance and Phillip reference ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    I said a REAL thick heavy crankshaft, not an imaginary one :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

8. MiddleAgeCrazy

MiddleAgeCrazy New Member

Map
    [​IMG]

Remind that tosser of a salesman that when Joey Dunlop was kicking ass and taking names on The Isle Of Mann TT, how many Italian bikes he had to pass to keep his lap times up.

I would argue that the VFR is one of the most reliable if not the most reliable sport bike made and has been for some time.

If it ain't HONDA it ain't SHIT!

9. NOLA VFR

NOLA VFR New Member

Map
    My neighbor put over 100k on his VFR. Sold it. Its still on the road. Just basic maintenance. Period.

10. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    So what is Joey Dunlop riding now? When was that?

11. Slothrop

Slothrop New Member

12. 300shooter

300shooter New Member

Kinda like "slick 50" ? There , I said it!

13. MiddleAgeCrazy

Map
    His achievements include three hat-tricks at the Isle of Man TT meeting (1985, 1988 and 2000), where he won 26 races in total. During his career he won the Ulster Grand Prix 24 times. In 1986 he won a fifth consecutive Formula One world title.

Dunlop died in Tallinn, Estonia, in 2000 while leading a 125cc race (he had already won the 750cc and 600cc events). He appeared to lose control of his bike in the wet conditions and was killed instantly on impact with trees. As a mark of respect, the Estonian government's official website was replaced with a tribute to Dunlop within hours of his death. Northern Irish television carried live coverage of his funeral. Fifty thousand mourners attended the funeral to Garryduff Presbyterian Church, and his burial in the adjoining graveyard. The funeral procession was attended by up to 50,000 people, along with bikers from across Ireland and the United Kingdom. He was 48 years when he was killed.

He is arguably the most famous rider ever associated with V-4 Honda's.

TT - Tourist Trophy races occur on actual road courses. The most famous is the Isle Of Mann. It's the most thrilling and demanding of forms of racing in my opinion. He had a younger brother Robert that was also killed racing in 2008.

[​IMG]

In 2005 he was voted the fifth greatest motorcycling icon in history by Motorcycle News.

14. jayzonk

jayzonk New Member

Canada
    Map
    So, was he on a VFR on all three Isle of Mann victories? T'would be cool if we could get little Joey Dunlop stickers for the fairing or the helmet. Sounds a little tacky, but I think that'd be a real good little secret message amongst VFR riders.
    How does the VFRWorld sticker look on the bike? Anyone apply it?

15. Rat

Rat New Member

Funny, I have lately been thinking of just how awesome my '94 VFR is, and thinking about posting a thread to that extent - thanks for this opportunity!

The RSV is a great bike, and I wouldn't mind having one (in ADDITION to my VFR!), but a lot of very experienced riders have never had anything but praise for these things - we can't all be wrong...
    As far as the 'crankshaft thickness' BS, I suppose that 'VFR' could stand for "Very F'ng Reliable".

I ride my VFR nearly every day, except when there's actual snow/ice on the ground, and I simply never get bored or tired of it, and every night upon closing my garage I still look back and admire her.
    I commute every day in all weather, and scratch with the SS bikes on weekends (giving fits to riders of "better" bikes!) - The VFR is willing and very able to do it all!

I don't so much admire her beauty, as mine is not as aesthetically pleasing as some; I admire her sheer function and all around wonderfulness.

I've owned bigger, "better", faster, more powerful, lighter, more nimble, fancier and much more expensive bikes, including a Harley and a Ducati, as well as a race-tuned R1, a ZX-10, a GSXR750 and an FJ1200, among others, but never have I had a bike that continues to impress me in any situation, does absolutely anything I ask of it willingly and capably, never lets me down, and simply seems to have no shortcomings of any consequence.

If you close your eyes, and forget just what's underneath you, and simply ride your ride, the VFR does everything you want a motorcycle to do!
    It is an amazingly capable motorized extension of yourself.

The more I ride my VFR, the more I realize that it is a mix of all of the best traits of every other motorcycle I've ever owned, with none of the bad.
    The VFR is everything I ever wanted in a motorcycle, that I never really realized I wanted!

I declare my VFR "Damned Near Perfect"! :thumbsup:
    I've come to the conclusion that if I ever win the Lotto, I would likely buy a number of new bikes, but I'd be very happy to keep my old-tech '94 VFR in my stable (restored to excellent condition), and it would probably remain my #1 mount.
    My VFR just may be the bike that I may never let go of.
    It's all the bike you'll ever need.

Funny, I bought the VFR due to price ($300-), and never expected to like it very much.
    I felt it needed rescuing and some TLC, and that it "would do", until I could afford something "better".
    Now listen to me - I positively gush over this thing!

I'm now more skeptical of every other bike out there; "How could it do everything as well as my 15 year old VFR?"...
    There is nothing on the market as all-around wonderful as a VFR!
    (4th Gen the best! FTW!) :biggrin:

16. Nailer45

Nailer45 New Member

If I ever won the lotto there would be one more bike in my garage the NR750

17. nessus

nessus New Member

Look my pictures.....i liket.:rolleyes:

18. deltazulu

deltazulu New Member

Shit man...I bought my Viffer without ever having ridden one and I knew I would love it like it was my own child! I now have 433 miles on it and it is purely tits man!! Moved over from the second best street bike ever made which is the 1986 CB700SC Nighthawk S. I wouldn't trade my VFR for any other bike.

I started riding HONDA's in 1976 and my first bike was an XR75. I used to ride with my Father and his brothers and there was one hill on the Broad River in North Carolina we used to ride all the time called widowmakers mountain. My dad and his brothers were riding HONDA thumpers (XL250s / XR 185s) and the only way I could get up the hill on my XR75 was to get about 200 ft away from the base, it was a short run, and go WFO in first gear (while sitting almost up on the gas cap) all the way up the hill and it would get to the top every time!! I'll bet you I put 5000 miles on that bad boy, running the shit out of it, before I sold it still running strong, to get my next XR75 in 1979. They were bullet proof...period!

YouTube - DG and Jeff Ward Vintage Honda XR75's

Think of some of the top notch HONDA riders:

Marty Smith
    Fast Freddie Spencer
    Jeremy McGrath
    Joey Dunlop
    Miguel Duhamel
    Jeff Ward (he started on a HONDA 50s and made XR75s famous)
    Valentino Rossi (once he stopped riding Aprilia scooters and moved into real bikes he dominated on a HONDA and a Yamamaha...Jap bikes!!)
    Mick Doohan
    Nicky Hayden

Just to name a few.

6 titles in the world enduro championships.

Automobiles known for top notch reliability and resale. How many Italian cars have you ever seen listed as low mileage with 150K miles? A civic is low miles at 150K.

If they decide to mass produce the HONDA Jet they are going to kick everybody's ass in the private jet market.

Bottom line, if HONDA decides to do it and they go all in, they will kick the shit out of all comers.

Ride RED!!

Italy does cheese, flashy sunglasses, and scooters very well.

19. someguy

someguy New Member

i've had both... 06 RSV, 04 VFR.
    whilst the RSV is an amazing and wonderful machine and i would love to have both,
    i still have the VFR... and i'm incredibly happy.
    nuff said.

20. MiddleAgeCrazy

Map
    I'D like to know too what bike Dunlop won Isle Of Mann on. I believe he had a VFR at some point but then also an RVF (?) which was what an RC45?

I remember reading an article about him losing some bikes in the ocean on or off a ferry and them immediately pulling them up.

My guess would be in 88 he had a works VFR. Comments please?