First Oil Change

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by baker5, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Where do you find photos like that?! History amazes me.

2. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I agree BB should stay at his toll bridge and stop bugging People with useless drippings.

3. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Where that particular shot is from..Not a Clue. Orwell's "1984" maybe? Could be a still from one of the film versions. The source is Google Images. I was looking for a read on whether the First Amendment was congruent with the WWW. That's a tossup.. Here maybe but in places like China, nope. Google has taken to inserting limited images in text searches, one of which was on Thought Police. I just kept lookin until I found a pic that had both bikes and some form of the genre.

Clues: Pudding Bowl helmets-Gothic architectural spires and a "bombed out" square building shell in the background. Dark mood stuff in the toning. Bikes maybe Vincents..

Maybe SOW has some thoughts on this. Naaa!

Cheers..

A

Cheers..

4. Shinigami

Shinigami New Member

United States
    Map
    Top photo is in Park City, UT, and the second one is on the Energy Loop, also in Utah. Yes that's a cop in the second shot, group leader thought it made for a funny Facebook post, though he was just doing traffic control for a bicycle race nearby.

And now that i've accessed the site with a desktop instead of a phone, I see it's much easier to add people to the ignore list. Two gone. Ahhh.

5. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I have skied Park city but never have been there in the summer. Nice.

6. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I'll be right back after I get popcorn and a beer . . .

7. Badbilly

United States
    I guess the dude's argument in favor of censorship didn't quite work out. I was offended by the term attention- whoring. I never charge for the pro-bono stuff.. ;)

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Lol If you charged you might make some pesos.

9. Badbilly

United States
    Once a slut always a slut. ;)

10. G1200RS

G1200RS New Member

United States
    Does K&N have a filter that fits? They have a nut on the end and one just applies a socket to turn them.

I am on a BMW R1200GS now and use the KN164 filter, but am about to make a move to a 2016 VFR.

11. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Don't recommend K&N oil filters:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just ask Anne-Marie

12. G1200RS

G1200RS New Member

United States
    8 nM is what my wrench is set for when applying filters. Worked the whole 18 years I owned my ST1100, and has been just fine on the GS. Somebody musta done a Hulk Hogan on Ann Marie's.

I'll go over to Starbucks and see what the other guys and gals are saying about this.

13. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    The other problem with the K&Ns on VFR is the size of the rubber gasket, which can also leak. I will never take the chance.

14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Problems with K&N oil filters have been on several boards (at least 3 that I'm on) for years now. I personally have had 3 recent bad experiences with them and nearly crashed my CBR on the track from a K&N that leaked. Somewhere on here is a thread where a guy measured with calipers the K&N and a stock Honda filter that shows how they are making them a little larger than they should and the O rings are deforming upon install and sprouting leaks.Compete with close up photos. I had it happen to me on the CBR and on my VFR. And now the above problem with the welded on nut. I contacted and sent filters off to K&N and of the 3 letters I got a new filter, no other info from them. I threw it in the trash. Never again for me. Do what you want but there is a well documented problem going on with at least the K&N 204 filter.

15. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Also G1200rs, I have been wrenching on bikes for 40 years and never had an oil filter leak until the K&N. Beware.

16. VF1000Fe

VF1000Fe New Member

Canada
    The Hulk Hogan you refer to IS anne.marie
    She actually torque'd it to Spec, with a Torque Wrench herself, in my Garage.
    [​IMG]
    A day and 1000km later the End Cap blew open.
    Its a KN-204
    I may Guess on my bike, but not on someone else's.
    I've been doing this after lifetime of working on bikes & cars (over 45 years).
    You get a feeling for "good enough", but its still not Spec.
    The Drain Plug is also critical,,.. not enough and it spins out, too much and the Aluminum Casting Threads will Strip.
    A Torque Wrench is not that expensive, and you'll use it all over the bike.

The K&N is clearly a substandard product, and should be removed from shelves.
    No law says they can't Sell Junk, it just Consumer Pressure that should teach a business a lesson.

I showed her how to do it Right, then some Moron pipes up and says its a No-No (?!?!).
    Says it should be put ON by Guessing, by Hand,,.. after I'm trying to teach someone new, how to do it right.
    Maybe His arm is calibrated to 19ft/lbs.
    Sure, lets stop the wheel and turn it backwards.
    I'm gettin old, my Morals and Diligence don't seem to mean much today.

The K&N Filter has no Facets molded into the end cap, the proper filter Cap Wrench won't work.
    A Strap Wrench is Guessing.

Talking to some Crusty old racers, who've been working/racing for 50 years, they have a Rule of Thumb
    "Put Filter ON with only One Hand, cause it'll take Two Hands to get it OFF!"
    Filters will stick ON with time and take More Effort to remove, than it does to Screw ON.
    If this KN-204 has a "Removal Nut" then it will need 30 or even 40 ft/lbs for Removal after 5000km of use.
    So applying clean & oiled with the Nut to 19ft/lbs shouldn't be a problem (unless the Filter is defective to begin with).

I also love that idea of drilling a Hole in the Metal Strap Wrench and putting a matching screw into the Old Filter for a good lock. No removal slipping there.

I applaud the newbies who are asking "How to do it? and how to do it Right?".
    So I ask them, How do you want your bike worked on?

17. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Hey guys, their seems to a bunch of comments on this thread. My question is that I have decided to have the dealer do my first service because they are adding my center stand of a base model that is mine, But I bought Pro Honda HP4S 10/30 Full Synthetic at $6.00 less than dealer cost and a K&N oil filter. I called the dealer and asked if buying my own oil and filter was a problem and the said not a problem. I told them about the K&N oil filter and the tech told me that I should go with the OEM Honda filter instead. What are your thoughts on Oil Filters by K&N vs OEM? I definitely will be getting a K&N air filter in a few months and trust this dealer since they are the same that I had for 10 yrs with the 03 Suzuki sv1000s. What are your thoughts or experience with a K&N oil filter?

18. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Also I forgot to ask, If you go to a pure synthetic oil, do you or should you always use it instead of going back and to conventional oil or a blend a pinch. I have never used pure synthetic before on a bike. I have read the if you use pure synthetic, you need to continue to use it. What are the pros and cons of both types. I want long life and performance driven. But, in a financial bind or a location that does not have my oil, and have to use standard oil am I doing the right thing? This will probably be the last bike I own, so any non sarcastic (Non- newbie that does not wrench his own, which I do as long as I have the tools and don't loose parts:) and if needed financially) from experienced based help or comment would be appreciated . Thanks Mike D.

19. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    There is absolutely no problem switching between synthetic and conventional oil today. Rumors persist from the very birth of synthetic oils. They were formulated differently and at that time, mixing the two oils could result in foaming. However, these oils are all compatible today.

OEM filters seem to be highly rated among many here. Read the below about K&N. K&N seems to be universally hated due to its physical build, and several known failures (leaks) among forum members.

20. Badbilly

United States

This dude has never changed oil in a bike much less changed one type oil to another. If this is sarcasm then fuck it. So be it...