First Oil Change

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by baker5, Oct 19, 2015.

1. ALAN553

ALAN553 New Member

United States
    Map
    AMSOIL also make their own filter for the bike.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    So does Harley-Davidson. Aftershave, TP ect.

3. Badbilly

United States
    No drippings from me Scotts filter. Speaking of drippings in general, what do you do with that cat shit you generate?

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    No problem having to switch back to conventional in a pinch. I'll never use another K&N oil filter, 2 failures on a VFR and 1 on a CBR 1000. (K&N 204). OEM or invest in a Scotts.

5. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

^^^^this that Gator says about K&N

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Have never used nor likely ever will use a K&N oil filter based on the negative experiences I have read here. Only in the instance of an emergency would I use one, then get rid of it as soon as I can.

I don't have personal knowledge of mixing the two oils on a bike but have done so on my Duramax without issue. I ran Semi Synthetic for several years and switched to full synth a couple years back and have had no issues.

Now about the K&N air filter. I have been using one of those almost since new. Maybe the bike was a year old when I switched. People here claim a performance advantage using one but I just don't notice it. When my present bottles of fluids for this filter run out, the filter will become part of the Chilliwack landfill. Simply put, I cannot be bothered cleaning and waiting for the element to dry before applying the oil and riding the bike. I want to be able to throw a new air filter on, then get on the bitch and ride. So. Back to OEM air filters soon.

7. Badbilly

United States
    I hope by bitch you mean the bike. Riding SOW would be not in good taste much less sanitary.

When the performance stories using a K&N air filter start quoting in horsepower, it's BS time.

8. Badbilly

United States
    I used to hear tales aboot seals (gaskets-orings ect) failing when changing over to synthetic oil. Ran Golden Spectro semi-synthetic for years then in the VFR switched to Rotella T. I run that in all my bikes. Never a problem and no leaks. Ran dino oil in the BMW and the SR500 before running Rotella, no problems there either. Anecdotal? Yep.. but I don't think I actually ever talked to anyone that had the "problem".

No clutch slippage either. OEM clutch in the VFR and the BMW and SR have been replaced because of engine mods and not signs of deterioration.

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I would never cheat on you Billy.

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    After using Dino oil in my 900SS and switching to synthetic, my rear cylinder started seeping at the gasket.
    Always stuck with the honda oil in the VFR.
    How many miles on the synthetic before changing?

11. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Just getting started as an Amsoil Dealer, hope to finish training soon, in the mean time this link should help you with the differences between dino and synthetic oils:

http://www.amsoil.com/about/synthetic-versus-conventional.aspx

I know a lot of guys are very happy with the oils they have been using, and that is fine, I needed to get into business again, make a little money, but I have to believe in the product. The more I learn, the more I respect their products.

12. Badbilly

United States

Thanks, that SOW dude always seemed flakey to me. Probably a skin disease.

13. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Badbilly, what are your thoughts on oil and K&N filters. I see that you gave Knight some shit about his response I think or it was directed to me. I know nothing about sythentic oil and I know nothing about using aftermarket filters. K&N has a rep. I have always used OEM oil and filters. I have changed my own oil on the previous bike. It was easy and I am sure the VFR is the same. I just want the dealer who will let me bring in my own oil at a savings and filter on the first service. After that, this is why I am on this site looking for advice or tweeks that I do not know of. Thanks for your response.

14. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Make your choice...

Compliments of Cadbury64
    72eac5888b7c1f91041089320000297d.jpg

15. Badbilly

United States
    Good Questions.. I have three bikes that run. The 1991 VFR has a Scott's filiter. The Yamaha SR500 I use OEM filters. Same with the BMW. All three bikes have run "dino" oil at one time. Semi-synthetic and full synthetic with zero problems. The VFR is stock.The BMW is a hotrod. The Yamaha is mildly modified. I do use K&N air filters on all three bikes.

There are of articles by motorcyclist/petroleum engineers as well as some by highly skilled mechanics on oil. What is needed on this is to compare and contrast. It's the net... Knight is BS.. he looks stuff up and changes his "advice" to suit. Next to zero experience. A paper tiger. A "woe is me" poster in chat.. He might even be Donald Trump...;)

By "dealer" I assume you are speaking of a Honda dealership. You might get away with bringing in your own filter and oil of choice. I have my doubts about how well that will be received. Factory dealers like to be in charge of all the aspects of mechanical work and services. IOW, the whole tran$action. They will likely tell you that you are using the "wrong" stuff. Of course this is a great way to determine an honest dealer or a dealer/stealer. I would suggest since you are a big city guy, to hit a gathering or two of motorcyclists and find yourself a skilled mechanic. Dealers do not pay these guys much and many times the private guys are fully certified on several marques. Anecdote: My guy on my bikes for most work, is a former tool and die maker, Certified on BMWs, Hondas, and Ferraris. He doesn't own a car..

The service manuals for the various bikes are great. Many are free to download. Some guys like the aftermarket manuals,

The OEM Honda filters are great. I used to buy them by the sixpack but not from a dealership.. Way too many horror stories aboot the K&N oil filters make me think they are flakey. A flakey oil filter suggests failure of ons sort or another which can lead to engine failure.. IOW, not worth the gamble..

16. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    OEM BROOOOOO.
    Been work in alot, thought I'd call the local Honda to see what they charge was for an oil change...since I buy my oil and OEM filter from them anyways, at just about $43....
    $150 clams....just like HD...hundred dollar.
    It was 99 in my garage and worth the sweat.
    Its very easy.....DIY

17. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Don't do it!!! LOLzzz!!!

I use Wix or Hi-Flo Filtro myself. Never had an issue with them.

18. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Have used Wix twice but O'Reilly was out, he go's...
    But I have K&N, think I blurted out loudly
    NOOOO.

19. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    You have been warned about K&N oil filters, with facts & actual failures. It's your ass. I have gone down because an oil slick in the road, not fun.

20. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    AM got lucky just outside of Bozeman, MT ... good thing she was looking in her mirrors when it happened. Her rear tire was soaked in oil.