First Post/New Member - Planning to buy a 1992 VFR750F

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by GreginDenver, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    If you are not partial to the 3rd Gen VFR also keep your eye open for 4th Gen (1994-1997) as they are much more plentiful and only slightly more expensive. If you are not in a hurry to purchase now you should start seeing more bikes for sale over the next few months as many owners tend to wait until later in the Spring / early Summer to sell their bikes. Older VFRs are not in high demand so if you are patient I'm sure you'll find a great deal on a bike that you will love for many years to come.

2. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    Here's a question, What do you think about a 1996 with 60,000 miles on it? Original owner (purchased new).

The guy selling it is a true motorcycle guy, he does long touring rides on a Honda ST1300 and he used to race on an RC51. I've talked to him on the phone, he has taken really good care of this bike and most of its miles are from long road trips.

He knows motorcycle maintenance, he let me onto his facebook page where he has a whole photo album devoted to his trips with this VFR750. Also contains pictures of his shop where he does everything including tire changes.

All the plastics are original, no cracks, no damage beyond rock chips and a few scratches.

This bike has been loved throughout its life. He's asking $2,300. What do you think?

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    The price is reasonable but it's not what I would consider to be a super deal. The fact that it was well taken care by a knowledgeable owner certainly adds to the overall value and will give you some extra piece of mind but I've seen comparable 4th Gens with 20 to 30K less miles selling for only a few hundred dollars more. VFRs are not your typical "sport" bikes and VFR owners generally tend to be older and more mature riders who take better care of their bikes than the average younger sport bike riders. The 4th gen you mentioned seems like a good solid bike but I think if you keep looking you can find another VFR in the same general price range that spent most of its life in a garage only being ridden a few thousand miles a year. Is the bike completely original and what condition are the tires in? Is he negotiable on the price at all? I'd definately pull the trigger if he comes off by a few hundred bucks.

4. GreginDenver

GreginDenver New Member

United States
    Map
    You're absolutely right. I spent a few minutes and broadened my search on Craigslist, looking in states like Wisconsin, Iowa and Kansas. I see what you're talking about , there are some very clean, low mile VFRs for sale out there.

I'm going to have to reign myself in and slow down. Thanks for talking me down from my big hurry.

By the way, this new approach is the smart thing to do for another reason (that I was trying to ignore), I'm relocating in May. I chose the screen name "GreginDenver" because I'm about to relocate to the south side of Denver, in the Centennial area. Probably best to put the VFR thing aside until after the move.

Thanks again, this is a pretty friendly forum.

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    How bout if it's wrapped or Plasti Dipped?

Bad paint is an indicator. not a single issue determination.

A paintjob will many times sell a bike or a car that's a POS.

A paintjob can also be a reflection of the owners taste, or as simple a need to have any bike not looking like a stocker.

We can apply this same analogy to a house or a room.

6. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Build quality of the honda is amazing compared to others, little stuff like a silly urinal looking rubber under the gas tank to catch over flow and direct it to the floor still amaze me. I took them off mine btw :loco:

There is a funky looking piece of metal screwed into the swing arm, its sole purpose is to hold the chain guard. Its the little stuff that is the details, my Kawasaki is intelligently mhanufactured but is crude compared to the Honda. Love them bikes :vtr2: Listen to the "Ice-Hunchin!" :wave: