First time rider?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by Edag, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Edag

Edag New Member

Thanks to everyone -again =) I'm happy to report I completed my MSF course on that Buell Blast just a few hours ago. The training and examination have left me feeling confident about moving forward with a VFR purchase. AKmik raised some points that were brought up by my instructor earlier in the day. It's difficult to find a good "starter" bike because a lot of the 500s and 600s out there are geared to be on the track. I feel that 800cc's isn't going to be intimidating if handled with a lot of respect, and think that it fulfills all of my requirements:
    Long Term: My finances aren't in the best shape. If I buy a bike I have to make sure I can have fun with it for several years while I make my adjustments.
    Proper Riding Stance: I haven't found another bike which suits my riding position quite like the Interceptor. I do not want to be on a "different" style of motorcycle while I'm creating the muscle memory which I'll be using for the rest of my riding career.
    Proper Tuning: Anything which fits into my riding style is either a "Race" type of motorcycle, or a heavy (and usually expensive) full featured sport touring bike I.E. Honda ST, Yamaha FJR, etc.

2. bbwong

bbwong New Member

Congrats on passing the course! Interesting comments from your instructors about transferring what you learned in the course to your bike ASAP. I had a 6-7 week break between the MSF course and getting my VFR. It took a few minutes to remember all I learned, but it all came back. My first trip was to an empty parking lot to get a feel for the low speed handling and to see if I could do the figure 8 in a box.

It sounds like you are set on a VFR, as I was. Just remember and practice the riding habits you've learned and be respectful of the power of the bike beneath you. It sounds like you are well aware of both these things. "Ride your own ride and within your abilities and you should be ok." A quote from one of my instructors.

Good luck and keep us posted on your purchase.

3. Edag

Edag New Member

That figure 8 was where I lost my points. The Buell Blast that I was using at the time (it was the third one I used during my course - not a "low-maintenance" bike) didn't idle the way I wanted and ended up having to roll on the throttle more than I needed. I over-shot the second turn =(
    I too plan on practicing many of the maneuvers before I get out on the road. I'm particularly interested in seeing how touchy the front brake is. I know the Buell uses a unique braking system, and even with all of the people I've talked to, I was really surprised at how little play there was in lever. I will certainly keep posting. Hopefully I'll have a few pics after graduation tomorrow. =)

4. bbwong

bbwong New Member

That's where I lost points too. I am still having trouble. Good maybe 25% of the time. I can't shift my weight fast enough...

5. eros88

eros88 New Member

VFR as first bike

EDAG-

I was in your shoes not that long ago. I had taken and passed the MSF course, learning on a little Yamaha TW200.

I shopped around for bikes for what seemed to be ages, was set on getting a Ninja 500 or 650, or maybe a Suzuki GS500, which everyone told me were sensible bikes (and they are). To make a long story short, what did I bring home from the dealership? A used 2000 VFR. So much for a "beginner bike", right?

I completely agree with other posters and more experienced riders that a powerful bike can be deadly with the wrong kind of beginner. Knowing this, I took my time getting to know the viffer, took it very, very easy for the first few months, getting the feel of the throttle, the power band, adjusting to different traffic situations (emergency braking!). I obeyed the limits of both road, machine and rider, and I always, always wear full gear when I ride.

If you don't think you can restrain yourself, get another bike. But if you are an adult, responsible rider who isn't afraid to take it safe and slow for a while, you can learn on a VFR. They are a bit heavy compared to 250's, sure, but they are very "neutral" bikes- they do what they're told, no surprises.

Good luck!

6. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Well stated, Eros!
    The equipment between your ears is the most important equipment that should be discussed around here. Trouble and fun both begin and end there.

7. ewryly

ewryly New Member

Yes, I think Eros is on the mark.

8. barleymashers

barleymashers New Member

United States
    Map
    Lots of posts. My 2003 VFR is my first bike ever. I took the MSF course last year. Rode some friends/relatives bike a few times over the yeaar and decided to actually get a bike this year. I just lucked into the bike as a friend needed to sell and gave me a great deal. The bike just seem to fit me well, I am 6' and 205lbs.

With that said, I am still learning to ride so I take it very easy. My first few rides were to parking lots to do slow speed circles at first and then speeding them up when I got comfortable. I also did some of the drills from the MSF class over and over again to just get the feel of the bike and how I could make it respond. I have gone on a couple medium length rides, but only put about 800 miles on it since May - too much time at the beach. I try to avoid highways if I can, and I always ride with full gear (ok, only the jeans are non-specific to riding) even in the heat and humidity.

I don't know why some of the others are saying it is not a good starter. Maybe it is because I am still a newbie and I don't know what I should be afraid of yet. But I am sure their reasons are valid from their perspective, and I am just offering another view from mine. So far it has done everything I have asked it to do, which has been limited I will admit. But that is my whole point, take it slow, practice and stay within your limits and I think a beginner would be fine with a VFR.

9. V_to.the.fifth

V_to.the.fifth New Member

Map
    Got it. Indeed a VFR is heavy compared to a 600 class sport bike. For me the constant reference to it being heavy was more a reaction of concern for myself. It was not until I looked up all the weights that I realized it was only about 25 pounds heavier than what I'm riding now. So although it may be considered "heavy", it is not really heavier than what I'm used to so it's all good because I don't want something way heavier that what I have now, I'm just a little guy...

10. V_to.the.fifth

V_to.the.fifth New Member

Map
    Cool, thanks.
    You post was great, it made me go look up a bunch of weights.
    The VFR is so close to what I'm riding now, I guess I'm not only on antiquated technology, but I'm also on a heavy bike. :smile:

11. Y2Kviffer

Y2Kviffer Insider

United States
    Map
    Wow good post KC, not much else to say. I started on a '75 Yamaha RD350 (2 cyl - 2 stroke). Next was a '85 Honda Nighthawk S 700. The VFR is heavy compared to most sportbikes, but a flyweight compared to my old '87 Goldwing. If you have your heart set on a VFR to start out on, get used one. Dropping a $4-5k bike will hurt your feelings a lot less than an $11k bike. Good luck with your decision and keep us posted.

12. geronpg

geronpg New Member

Guys,
    A lot of good and valid perspectives here - thanks to everyone for the thoughtful responses. Something to consider: I've heard for years that something like half or 3/4's of all new riders go down in the first 6 months. And from my observation, that's probably accurate. I'm sure every one of those that went down thought it wouldn't be them. And in looking back, I'm sure most of them realized that they had misjudged, over-extended, taken an unnecessary chance or overestimated their capabilities. In a few cases, maybe they just had some bad luck or circumstances beyond their control.
    I am reminded of the final scene from "Magnum Force" where the crooked police supervisor (Hal Holbrook) is driving away in the car thinking he has bested Harry Callahan. But he doesn't know that the bomb in the back seat is ticking (that "Dirty Harry" - Clint Eastwood- put there). The car blows up, and Harry says to himself: "a man's got to know his limitations..."
    So true....

13. Edag

Edag New Member

Well an update for everyone. I got my endorsement, some good gear (HJC helm, Joe Rocket mesh jacket, Harley boots and some decent gloves) and I'm ready to ride. Now to find that all important first bike. I've been scouring northeast Ohio looking for some good VFR's for sale, and its been a challenge to find one at my price point (3,000 - 4,000) but I'm fighting the good fight! Craigslist and Cycletrader have given me more than one bike to consider. Hopefully within the next week I'll be able to proudly say I own a VFR. Here's to the thrill of the hunt!

14. ewryly

ewryly New Member

Excellent job, Edag. Good luck on the hunt. I'm sure something will turn up soon.

15. vfrredneckchic

vfrredneckchic New Member

Map
    Welcome aboard!

I started out on an 1985 VF500F in the spring of 2005. I love my little 500:)

I noticed your located in N.E. Ohio. Are you taking the rider safety course through the BMV? If so I took this course this past April & I recommed it to any new riders.

Remember All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT). :nod:

16. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

One goal a person can set for themselves is to be able to complete the MSF ERC skills eval with zero deductions. I can do this pretty much 95% of the time but I have the unfair advantage of teaching the course at least twice a month. It may seem like this is an unrealistic expectation but if you really work at it, it's very possible. Before I became a RiderCoach, I took an ERC every spring. Not because I needed too, I wanted too. If the course is offered for free in your area, go for it. If it's not free, try the exercises in a parking lot.

One of the basic cornerstones of the MSF is to never stop learning. The single wisest thing I've ever heard related to motorcycles was by the guy who taught us the USAF Sport Bike Coach course. He said the day he "knows everything" about bikes is the day he hangs up the keys permanently because he would kill himself the same day. Ironically, he was one of only two guys who laid their bike down during the week he taught us. It was a simple case of factors adding up. Cold tires, too much throttle & too fast on the entry to a low speed turn.

Never stop learing & never stop pushing yourself to ride better. Now matter what you think, you can ride better than you do now.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

17. Edag

Edag New Member

Well I've determined my bike. I found a 1990 VFR out in PA within my budget. The guy who's selling the bike is an aircraft mechanic, and not only did he know everything about the bike; he also had the paperwork to back up his claims. Its a lot of bike, as I imagined - however the throttle didn't scare me and the brakes were quite comfortable. I'm arranging to get it trailered back up to ohio, as I haven't been out on a freeway yet and route 76 isn't the place to learn. Should have some pics within the week.

The newest VFR owner,
    Edag =)

18. tgreene5

tgreene5 New Member

Congrats to you!!

I've been riding since I was 16, minus a 10 year break. Started on a Kawasaki 90, moved up to mid-size, and then Honda 750, Suzuki 750, my last was a 2-stroke Kawasaki 500. Fun! but had a bad shimmy. I sold it and decided I'd seen one wreck too many, and took a break from riding.

After a lot of research, I purchased a VFR in January, and love the bike. I have dropped it. I have a Sargent's seat on the way that is shaved down to give me another 1". That should do it. The bike is HEAVY! Even cornering I can feel the weight of the bike, but at your height and weight (I'm only 5'5") you should do fine. Even moving the bike I am very careful and make sure I have clearance on all sides and do NOT rush it. If the bike starts to go, I'm not strong enough to stop it after it reaches a certain point. Just the way it is, probably the same with the big Harley's, Gold Wings, etc.

As with anything, if you outride your experience, you're going to get hurt. Keep it within comfort level (where your heart is not pounding in excitement) and you can still have a lot of fun with the bike, as you learn it's uniqueness. The brakes being linked was no big deal to me.

Have fun, wear your gear ALWAYS, drive within your comfort level and you'll do fine!

Theresa

19. bbwong

bbwong New Member

Congrats on your new bike! To get mine home, I rented a "small pickup" which was an F-150, from Enterprise for something like $80 for the day. Bought some ratcheting tie down straps and brought her home. 100 miles one way. Piece of cake.

There was no way I was going to make that the first ride. Besides the fact that I lacked the experience, I wanted a friend/mechanic/fellow rider to look the bike over first. I was reasonably confident basic maintenance was complete but I just wanted that piece of mind before I took it on a long ride.

Good luck and ride safe.

20. Buckwheat

Buckwheat New Member

Congrats Edag! :thumbsup:
    Where in PA is the bike from?

Quick question on the figure eights... Can they be done on a VFR within a 18' box? Not sure which box is standard, 18' or 24'.

Back when I got my license ('93?), I watched the guy in front of me drop his liter bike on the figure eights. I had a Kawi EX500 that I had practiced the figure eights extensively so I aced the test however the VFR certainly doesn't turn as sharp as the 'ole EX. I haven't measured out a box yet but I was thinking about trying it.

Check out this police officer. Talk about precision & control!
    YouTube - Police Motorcycle Competiton Good Solo Run