First Timer Oil Change-6th Gen (Ran into some minor issues)

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by ILuvtheMountains, May 11, 2011.

1. TOTSFUMI

TOTSFUMI New Member

hmm..

Maybe he had to remove the engine to get to the filter..? ha ha..

2. ILuvtheMountains

ILuvtheMountains New Member

Map
    Good advice and well said

If there is one thing I have never seen, its an oil filter falling off. But if there is something I see every time, its me having to try and wrench off some oil filter that someone else put on too tight. WHY? (rhetorical question, no need to answer)

I agree, thats why we''re all here after all.

3. donald branscom

donald branscom New Member

Map
    Yes I agree with your plan about having cheap screwdrivers in the
    house but those seem to go missing too, but i think boys should have their own toolbox.
    Also kids need their own room where they feel safe and have control over
    their space. Parent need to knock on the door before entering,etc.,.

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    What are you now? What the hell happened? You got life changing set of surgeries or something?

5. ILuvtheMountains

ILuvtheMountains New Member

Map
    Oh my Randy, Oh my this is no good at all for our friend spike. Let us pray for him...

6. Spike

Spike New Member

No they don't, anymore then they would drift anywhere else. Screwdriver set in the kitchen? second drawer of the desk. I find I lose it much less, actually never now. I don't have to go out to the garage, get the screwdriver, fix the toy, then put the screwdriver down as I play with the toy with the child. Instead the drawer is right there, I put it back. I don't leave it by the door to go out to the garage, plus the ones in the garage are over my workbench, the ones in the kitchen are in a tool roll. The one in the living room, is a replacable tip kind of screwdriver, with the tips in the handle, most toys use a #1 or #2 phillips, some use a #0. I can use it, replace the batteries, put it right back in the drawer, toy is fixed quicker, child is happier, screwdriver goes back to it's home more often, because even if I am trying to do something else, the drawer is right there. Don't have to put on shoes, don't have to get cold or hot, don't have to squeeze by cars/bikes. Much better.

If you have to find drawer, they you will likely have to find which tool box or drawer. I don't have that issue at all.

While some of my toolboxes have locks, built in ones, I have no idea where the keys even are and don't use them -- ever. When I have to lock things away from my family, I have other problems than worrying about a screwdriver. I do have things out of reach of my kids, for safety reasons, and my son is remarkably good about staying away from the danger areas. Even telling my dad once "Uhh, no body but daddy is supposed to touch the stuff on those shelves " when he went to grab something. And promptly coming in to tell my wife what happened, and myself when I came home later.

My wife never touches my tools, she knows better, she has no amount of "handiness" in her, none at all. She would rather wait for me, rahter than hurt herself or make the problem worse.

All our important papers, are either in our safe or in our safe deposit box -- both of which my wife has full access to if she needs to. Everything in the safe is scanned, and a copy in the safe deposit box in case the house were destroyed or not accessable. There is also a package adressed to her, with a copy at my sister's since if my wife and I go, my sister get's the kids and everything else, that has all the account numbers, usual balances kept, copies of life insurance policies, all the information even for the house (gas company, etc.) so that either of them could step into it as easily as possible.

My house is on fire, and I have time to get anything? In rough order, depending on time I have is how far I get down the list. I get out the Kids first and secured, then wife, dog, office computer external hard drive (pictures), laptop (lots of stuff), old photo albums. Everything else can be replaced, that is why I have insurance; it would still suck, but I would have everything that is really important and can't be replaced. I am always amazed when there is a natural disaster or something and people are evacuating, and you seem some idiot struglling with getting his flat screen in the car on the news, of loading in clothing. I could give a crap about my TVs or my clothes, even my Polk speakers aren't worth what my family is, or what the ireplaceable pictures are. Get out and get out early is my motto if I even encounter that situation. Save what is on the list above - if I can, everything else can be replaced, even if it will take years and years to do so. And I am not taking any extra time to save something I can buy again, and risking anything important. Really, anything past the dog is gravy. My tools, much as I love them, won't even get a consideration. If they melt in a fire, that will suck, but don't care.

Most of the drawers of my tool chests are in fact labled, so even if I am dead, they can find the rivet gun to secure my coffin lid if they need be. ;-)
    My neighbor appreciates that even now, when he needs something and I am not home. ;-)

7. Spike

Spike New Member

hate truely cheap tools, the screwdriver set in the kitchen is Craftsmen, the one in the livingroom is Irwin

my boy just turned 6, he was 5 when I gave him my old tool box and a few tools, got him some others this past Christmas some Home Depot Husky brand stuff as they were having a sale on some kits before the holiday. I don't expect any of it will last till he is 20. It will get lost or broken, or left out in the rain...

But he is waaayyy ahead of me, all I had growing up was a butter knife and a rusty set of pliers (which I still have) that was all the tools in my house growing up. For most of the time anyway.

8. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Spike,

You are one insanely organized dude. Will you marry me?

I save my computer ahead of the dog cause I have all my VFRW friend's contact info on this. Cept of course if the wife is around. Then I guess I gotta save the mutt.

Actually, a lot of what you have done in preparation is not far off what I have. Maybe I am not quite as defined as you. But you know what. With the experiences I have, the reasoning I can do (believe this or not), I am quite capable of surviving a long tome with my family if shit were to hit the fan. And I will also be there to help others, so long as they don't infringe on my family. Nothing more important than family.

Somehow this thread has gone from how to change your oil to how to survive disasters. Only of VFRW. And maybe Oprha.

9. Big3

Big3 New Member

the rubber things with the nut is called a wellnut <---- they are cheap at Lowe's (size =10-32 Rubber Well Nut)

the push clips on the bottom of the fairing are 6mm dia. <- --- again Lowe's you will find 1/4" instead just run a 1/4" drill bit through the holes next time the bike is apart.

HTH

10. Recalcitrance

Recalcitrance New Member

Hi there. I just did an oil change on my VFR this weekend. Hope this helps.

Topic: Step-by-Step with Photos - Reading, Riding, and RPM

Step-By-Step with photos, parts numbers, and tool measures.

I forgot to mention the speed nuts in the front fairing. Be careful with those. When putting the screws back in the front fairing, don't push too hard or else the speed nuts will pop out and they're a pain to get back in.

Good luck!

-Yuki-