Fixin' Flats and Roadside Assistance

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by ILVFR75, Jul 7, 2008.

1. ILVFR75

ILVFR75 New Member

Good afternoon all,
    I had my first flat (rear tire) this weekend and it happened in the middle of nowhere. The handling on the bike quickly turned to sh*t. I was without any patch/plug kit and miles from anything considered "civilization". I luckily parked across the street from a tiny little bar and met a guy inside who offered to plug the tire for me for $5. Fortunately the plug held just fine for the remaining 90 miles home. Two questions for y'all.
    1. What sort of patch/plug kit to you guys/gals carry with you?
    2. Do you use any sort of roadside assistance, ie. AAA, Progressive, etc?

thx all,
    Jeff

2. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

You need to immediately get a HRCA membership for $35 a year that covers roadside assistance. you really can't beat it.

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    IMO, nobody should be without a roadside inflation patch/plug kit, especially if you ride in remote areas. You just never know where and when it is gonna happen, and IF You will have cell phone coverage where it happened at. It happened to me in the middle of the desert, with no cell coverage! So, here is what I used, and it saved my arse a lot of walking. Yes, I bought the one for ATV's but the only real difference is a larger CO2 cartridge and stuff for the MC one. I have 4 CO2 catridges in my kit. I added one more.

Genuine Innovations - #1 in CO2 Inflators - Motorsports Products

[​IMG]

4. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Good Idea adding a 5th cartridge, I have a hi Volume MTB mini hand pump under my seat as well.

5. ILVFR75

ILVFR75 New Member

Thanks Derstuka!! That kit looks nice and compact, yet still comprehensive. Good stuff.

6. malcster

malcster New Member

Map
    My last flat was a <200mile mich pp,A slash that could'nt be plugged,luckily I was in town,gas station air let me know...air in, air out.Always ridden' with a plug kit,like the idea of the mini-pump as there is only so much air in cartridges(save the the last bullet for yourself?).Have'nt done it, but the AAA(not AA)extended program could be worth the money out in the big country.Peace and Ripp

7. AKmik

AKmik New Member

derstuka,

That is a nice little kit there, I may have to grab one. How many of those co2 cartriges does it take to fill up a rear tire ?

Very nice little kit.

Thanks for the link.

Mike

8. porcupine73

porcupine73 New Member

United States
    Map
    For AAA I believe if you have the '+ RV' plan they will cover motorcycles as well. However with a good plug kit you could probably easily have the tire plugged (if it is the pluggable type damage) and be either on your way or at a tire shop in less time than it takes AAA providers to respond in my experience.

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Stuke,

Your experienced and valued opinion please. Storage room on the 6th gen is at a premium under the seat. I have a repair kit and two 60 gram Co2 cartridges. If all I was interested is nursing it to the nearest service station or air supply at a responsible pace, are the two cartridges enough?

I remain your most obedient and humble servant,

Randy:puke:

10. derstuka

Map
    If I remember correctly, 4 cartridges got me up to about 28-32PSI I believe. Plenty to get me to a gas station or somewhere for help. I carry 5 - 16 gram ones now.

If I were you, I would actually get the one made for streetbikes, because it has two 45 grams cartridges, which is 90 grams total, and mine only has 80 ounces total. I can buy the 16 gram replacements more easily is the only kicker. I can get them at any bicycle shop for like a buck or two apiece.

Genuine Innovations - #1 in CO2 Inflators - Motorsports Products

[​IMG]

Yes, two 60 grams is more than enough. Like I stated above, I have 5 - 16 gram ones. I only bought the ATV one (instead of the MC one), because it is all they had at my local shop, and I wanted one right then. The motorcycle kit comes with 2 - 45 grams cartridges, so you are in the green buddy. The only thing is that if you don't plug it well the first time, and use up a cartridge, you are SOL if you only have two of them.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  11. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    OOOOOH SHEAT! I'm getting old. Typo. I have two "16" grams canisters so I guess I should get a couple more based on your reply Stuke. Thanks

12. derstuka

Map
    Yes, you should have at least 4 - 16 gram ones Randazzo!

Hey, how was the Oregon trip? I didn't know if you were on the US watch list for crazy canucks or what!

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map

It was great. PM coming your way in a few minutes

14. vire

vire New Member

Map
    I stopped into advanced auto to pick up a gauge since all I have been using is one of those stick pops out the end deals and after many adjustments and screwy readings I decided to get an accu-gage after searching here. They had a 4x4/suv model that supposedly can take a lot more abuse for $15. It reads up to 70psi and has a good amount of rubber so I picked it up and they also had atv/motorcycle tire repair kits for 50% off so I grabbed a couple at $5 each.

My pop out stick said my pressure was 36/48 but thats where my tires felt right to me. Checked them with accu-gage and I got 35/42 which made me feel a lot better. Now to find a little gun and some cartridges that will fit under the seat with the tools,repair kit and gauge as room is scarce under there.

15. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I have to agree

I have to agree with Dertuska, I don't care what is in your wallet.....But your cell phone not working. You better start walking, With the repair kits you have more chance to get to a safe area for futher repair. Just my 2cents.:ncb::ncb:

16. FrankoQ

FrankoQ New Member

Mmmmmmmm....
    I'm gonna have to get one of these kits.
    Thanks Stuka.