Fork service ?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by glory racing, Jul 2, 2013.

1. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    I am out oftown for the weekend so I cannot tell yuou which page in the service manual gives the figure....but it is in there. Perhaps in the specs in the front of the manual. I'll look it up lMonday

2. lshark

lshark New Member

3. Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave New Member

Found it. It was under "General" specifications, rather than "Front wheel/suspension/steering" specifications, and it does indeed say 108mm (4.25") for front axle travel. Based on all the other info given here from Jamie, from the Honda press kit info, and from the Honda website, I'm guessing it's a typo in the manual. Plus, that would be a pretty short travel, so I'll assume the 120mm figure to be the correct one.

4. lshark

lshark New Member

i hope they proof read the section called Engine and Frame Torque Values !!!

5. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe it is 108 like the manual states, perhaps 120, maybe the 2010's have leftover VFR800 internals and the 2012+ have new. Who knows at this point. We probably can't find/contact anyone from Honda for an explanation and unquestionable correct answer. Besides, the difference is less than 1/2 inch and if it is 108...if it was good enough for the VFR 800's for all those years we should be able to make it work on the 1200. For me it just reiterates 2 points; that there are not many that have actual hands on knowledge of the VFR 1200 forks and that humans do make mistakes...so check your/their work.

The point I was trying to make when this question arose was simply that suggested sag #'s are all over the board by many knowledgeable and experienced people. (just read 5 articles by reputable experts and you will get 5 different answers) And, that if you ride a bit on the spirited side you may want to consider evaluating a bit less sag on
    your ride.

However, it seems one of the few things that all the experts do agree on is that all rides/riders are different and you should start your suspension evaluation/adjustments by setting/documenting sag and going from there.

6. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    I understand how the manual showing an apparent error could cause confusion, but I honestly think you are over analyzing things. Here are some thoughts:

- 120mm of fork travel is better than 109mm. That is one of the problems with the VFR800 but you can't really (easily) change it.
    - The VFR1200 forks are very well understood, no need to be concerned about a "learning curve".
    - The parts do not interchange in any way with the 800's. Plus Honda does not use "leftover" parts. The design is the same at the beginning of a model year as the end.

7. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    In the first paragraph I was just making lite and poking fun at Honda with the 800 comments. And although it is good we identified a question and possible error with the manual, at this point there is no need to stress over it. However, there may be merit to the idea that suit wearing bean counter Japanese executives can make some weird decisions. (neutering of 1st and 2nd gear, 4.9 gallon tank, etc) WTH!

Regarding the 'hands on' experience with 1200 forks...my research/experience shows that to be spot on at this point in time. There are still not a lot of 'out of the box' offerings for the 1200.

It all worked out as I did get the 1.2's installed and am liking the result so far. It just took more effort and time than it should have and I would have preferred.

Thanx again for everyone's comments and help in my 'hands on' experience!

8. lshark

lshark New Member

so, i've put on 1000 miles since the Ohlins 1.1 fork springs went in..like i said i'm happy with the improvement...it felt a little stiff over sharp bumps so i reduced preload about half a turn from default (preload was at max w/ stock springs ) and they're now smooth over all types of road
    this morning i checked free sag and it was 27 mm....i'm buyin' it...(couldn't do rider sag alone)

9. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    Glad its working and thanx for posting the info.

Check that rider sag when you can. What I do is just put a small tape measure in the saddlebag and whenever I am at a ride (or wherever) where there are at least two others, I ask if they will help. It only takes a few minutes and they always actually enjoy doing it. Usually the participants have never done it so they are curious to see how it is done.

10. lshark

lshark New Member

that's a good idea but i think that i'm going to call the forks good until i can address the rear shock issue....i'm at max preload and it's still rather "plush"...if a stiffer spring does what they did for the front it will be a great start....i like Jamie's idea of re-valving and re-springing the stock shock

11. randt

randt New Member

Anyone know the fork oil level for the 2012 VFR1200?

12. Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave New Member

My manual says 160mm.

13. randt

randt New Member

Thanks!!!

14. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    I use volume - 425ml

This is not the same as stock by the way.

15. mark641

mark641 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Hooray! Someone who knows what they are talking about. I talk valving, oil & Spring rates & all I get back is blank looks. It really is worth understanding the whole picture to wisely spend your hard earned AND get decent results.

16. mark641

mark641 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map

17. mark641

mark641 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Measuring the air gap is way more accurate

18. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Is this your SOP? I am not doubting you, but would like to understand why you use more than twice the stock. Does this hold true for other forks/models?