Frame getting hot on short trips.

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by Jack000, Nov 15, 2023.

1. Jack000

Jack000 New Member

Cambodia
    I have a question. My bike was recently working on by a local mechanic that I trust... mostly. She overheated and it turned out there was a radiator problem and I had to have a replacement pump. Since then, the needle on the gauge sits right about where it should be. But, the frame gets hot, even just taking her a couple of miles, this bike gets so hot that the frame is unpleasant to touch.
    I've had V-twins before and they also get extremely hot. I'm guessing this is normal from the amount of heat-shielding and threads about cracking plastics but can a Gen-4 owner confirm that getting hot to the touch on short trips is normal?
    Many thanks.

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Where? Near / above the right foot peg?

3. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    the frame is almost a heat sink, try this, if you think the frame is hot, try touching your regulator, then report back.

I had a crazy neighbor/friend in NJ, he had a mobile welding business and he used to take me with him on jobs. He was a certified pipe fitter/welder, very talented, but like I said before, bat shit crazy. His standard saying after he laid a bead (weld) was, "That is a hot weld, would'nt wana put my dick on that." It was funny when he said it, may have lost some of its humour over the years. Peace

4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    No, i think thats real funny vulgar working guy humor from florida right there.

1366025631_sept132020001.JPG.ebcffc991b2fdb6135708b7f5167d13a.JPG

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
    ridervfr likes this.