Frame Sliders for 6th Generation VFR

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Robert Gonzales, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Robert Gonzales

Robert Gonzales New Member

United States
    Map
    I just had a tip over while practicing slow u-turns in my carport!! My 2004 VFR is a heavy bike and it slowly went down after it went a little over to the right and I couln't hold it up. Fortunately, I neither my hard bags or the fairing were hurt, just a little scratched and easily fixed. It made me think it may happen again (perhaps going faster) and whether any other VFR owners had tried frame sliders and if they work well.

I would appreciate any suggestions and advice, but not on my practice habits! :)

2. Camp

Camp New Member

United States
    Map
    I got T-rex bolt on, no fairing cutting sliders for my 6th gen and love them. Does make fairing removal a little finiky but the look great and the fairing doesn't touch ground in a tip. I've read that they can fail in higher speed crashes but in that scenario you've already got other issues.

3. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    39 pages to show why fitting tip-over protection makes sense..

https://vfrworld.com/threads/you-dropped-it-how-many-time.44298/

As you will see, I have tested my R&G Sliders and I can confirm they have really helped minimise damage to the bike as well as cosmetic damage to stuff like fairings and luggage - so they have proved to be probably the best value for money extra on my bike.

Unlike the T-rex version which is a no-cut design, the R&G Sliders and bar ends are designed to provide heavy duty protection against a lot more than just a bike tipping over so are a popular choice by riders planning to take their bike on a track day, or enjoy an enthusiastic lap or six around the TT Course.

The downside is R&G kits is not cheap and the sliders do entail drilling holes through the fairing so that the standard engine/frame bolt can be replaced with an extra long version to mount the slider bobbin. Unlike the stock bolt the R&G replacement is made of a special grade of ductile stainless steel to ensure that in the event of the bike sliding down the road at speed the metal bolt is able to bend (but not snap off) and as a result will adsorb a lot of the initial impact energy, and minimising stresses transferred to the engine and bike frame. Yes they are not cheap but you get what you pay for and they are actually very easy to fit.

One often overlooked benefit of sliders is that in the event of a tip-over they will keep the bike clear of the ground, and help prevent your leg being trapped below a quarter tonne of motorbike which may not go well. Finally if you have not already done it - make sure the mounts/clamp bolts for your levers and mirrors are not over tightened - they should be just tight enough to keep the lever/mirror in place during normal riding but able to swing harmlessly out the way if the bike falls over rather than snapping off.

Have fun

SkiMad

4. FelipeT

FelipeT New Member

United States
    Map
    I, too, had an "incident" earlier this year. I'm considering getting sliders as well, but does anyone have experience with sliders (particularly the T-Rex) and the factory hard bags? Will the sliders actually do anything with the luggage installed, or will the boxes touch the ground first?

5. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Short answer is regardless of your frame slider choice if you have panniers fitted then they will touch down first. I certainly have some grazes on mine but the sliders do a good job of keeping vital stuff from getting snagged or snapping off, so once it is back upright you can at least still ride home. Obviously they can only go so far in offering protection and all bets are off if you slam the bike into a wall or hit a truck.

FelipeT likes this.
  6. FelipeT

FelipeT New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks!
    How did you know I had a slide from avoiding hitting a truck? LOL!
    My main concern was that the boxes and the nose of the bike would hit, and the sliders would never touch. My side box is still intact, just "textured" now, but the nose of the bike by the turn signal is cracked. I can live with the damage to the panniers, but I'd rather avoid as much damage to the bike itself, if possible.
    I've looked at the R&G, but I'm not sure they're available anymore. I was also looking at these, which someone brought up in another thread:
    https://recraftmoto.com/motorcycle-protection/engine-guard/crash-bars-for-honda-vfr-800-2002-2013/

7. Diving Pete

Diving Pete Member

United Kingdom
    Map