Fried RR/Stator wire connection.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Lint, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    So, is this a sign of the RR dying or is it just a bad connector? Bike runs fine, but I did take the cover off of the stator and I noticed that part of it is dark, part of it isn't. Bike runs great and battery stays charged.

2. rjgti

rjgti New Member

solder the connection, if ya caught it in time no issue. you can due an ohm test on the stator, but a crispy looking one may mean trouble is on its way

3. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    I'll solder the connection and test everything. Thanks

4. NormK

NormK New Member

Lint, 694 posts and you still had that connector there

5. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Yeah, well, I guess I missed the memo. I vaguely remember something about a connector. ..

I guess Honda already knew about the future failure of the RR/stator if they put a quick disconnect there instead of just wires... just sayin.

6. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Since I soldered mine it's been ok, those connectors were a big part of the problem imho.

7. NormK

NormK New Member

Connectors are put there for ease of assembly, can you imagine the assembly line soldering up the wires so we wouldn't have these problems down the track, I think not. Remember somebody makes the loom, with a connector,somebody else makes the stator, with a connector, somebody makes the rec/reg with a connector, all easy peasy when things are new, nice and shiney and just plugs together. It is only with age,weather and heat cycles through the connector that ends up causing the problems and eventually all these bikes end up getting older by the day

8. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Make sure you trim the stator wires back a bit from the connector before soldering to fresh shiny stuff. That cm or whatever near the connector, copper is probably bacon.

9. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Good idea to check that, the metal connector are pretty carbonized. I'll probably solder in a little extra wire, as there isn't very much to work with.

10. paulie

paulie New Member

I had the dreaded fried issue and ended up replacing the R/R and stator and installed a VFRness for good measure. All pretty straight forward and for me a no-brainer after seeing the state of my wiring and the stator!

11. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    That is my preferred route but I'm hoping this will get the job done. I'm going to set money aside to get those items. Right now is looking like $300 - $350 to do that.

12. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    Or you could test the stator to see if you need one. Recommend the Fh020aa R/R from www.roadstercycle.com

Lastly don't waste your bucks on a VFRness. Its just a bandaid and doesn't do a thing for the life of the stator and R/R..

13. NormK

NormK New Member

I'm guessing the VFRness has connectors on it, so there we go again, be fine till it starts to corrode again

14. paulie

paulie New Member

I am not advocating one set of equipment or another.

I had issues frying 2 batteries (yes I was being lazy) before I decided to take the bull by the horns.

Yes you can make your own easily, the thing I (stress me/myself) liked about the VFRness was the fact that it was well constructed, replaced some dodgy existing wiring and didn't rely on me being on my game soldering (yes I can solder but yes I have also had solder joints fail in the past). I wrapped my connectors in self-adhesive & waterproof tape.

I did indeed check my stator but after seeing the state of the melted connector and the fact that the R/R was shot I was pretty sure that the stator could well be shot...it was!
    In no way do I suggest that other peoples bikes will be the same...however IF your finances can deal with it the path I took I was happy with as from that point onwards I had absolutely no electrical/charging issues and I could go back to being stoked with the awesome machine that the Gen5 was...before someone stole it last week :(

15. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    all you need to do is solder the stator and R/R. there's no need for another harness..:noidea: