Friend in Calgary with 1985 VF1000F in need of assistance

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by zoom-zoom, Aug 3, 2013.

1. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey to all out their in VFR land. I have a friend named Doug in Calgary who is having some issues getting a 1985 VF1000F running. He has owned the bike for over 8 years (I think or maybe more) and from the sounds of it the carbs are plugged with old fuel. The VF in question is my old bike, which I gave to him as a gift, but he has not had the opportunity to ride it very much in the last few years so it sat stored in his garage.

He used to go out and start it to let it run for a bit every few months to prevent the fuel from gelling in the carbs but I think he forgot to add stabilizer to the fuel and drain the floats the last time he used it. Doug assumed the carbs were varnished and have old fuel gumming them up so he removed them to clean them but now he is a little, well, in over his head from the sounds of it and was wondering if I could help him with the problem. I have no experience with changing or cleaning carbs and was wondering if there is anyone from the forum in Calgary who might be willing and able to give him a hand getting the bike running. Doug has owned many bikes in the past but has been away from biking, if you will, for about 15 or more years and has lots of experience with doing mechanical work to his own vehicles but the carb thing, according to him is just a little bit too daunting.

Normally I would suggest that Doug logs on to the site himself and asks for assistance from the vast membership here, but he would be the first to admit that if there are few things he finds problematic to deal with, but his lack of skills with a computer are one of them. Plus which I think he a bit embarrased to ask for help.

If anyone out there in Calgary (or the surrounding area) might be willing to possibly give him a hand getting the old girl running again or could help point him the right direction, I'm sure he would be eternally grateful. Doug has been a friend for over 30 years and I could not ask for a better person as a friend so he is certainly good people.

If you can help, please shoot me a PM and I will try to get Doug in touch with you.

Thanks for the help

Bill

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  2. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Is it invisible ink?:rolleyes:
    Zoom zooom might want to change the font color

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Left click...hold...drag across message and whalla. There it is. His font is like our Canada Pension. Subliminal.

4. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    I copied and pasted the text from VFRD. I can see the text on my screen, but you guys can't on yours? Changed the font on the post so it should be visible.

5. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Many of us use the dark background so black or gray fonts don't show up well at all.

6. Scubalong

United States
    I have to copy to word to be able to read. I try to highlight them but it is still black :tongue:

7. Scubalong

United States
    Sorry I cannot help your friend :) free bump

8. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    I use the light mode when I am signed in so that I can read the forums better. For me it is easier to see than the dark format and as a result I could not see that when the forum is in dark mode the type that I copied was black on a black background. Duh OOPS. My bad. I changed the text color to blue so I'll see if that worked.

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    PM sent......