Fuel filter on 5th Gen.

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Colin McDonald, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Colin McDonald

Colin McDonald New Member

United States
    I will be doing a valve inspection(as opposed to an adjustment, I hope...) this weekend, and thought it would be a good time to replace the in-tank fuel filter. After postponing the service because the filter was "On Order" for 3 weeks, I did some poking around, and it looks like Honda has discontinued the filter, Part #16900-MBG-003. This seems to be the filter for my '98, but the 2001 has a slightly different filter,(xxxxx-xxx-013) the difference being that for my bike the filter is a canister with a short, straight pipe at each end, and the hose loops 180. For the 2001(and apparently '02+) the pipe exiting the filter loops instead. The rubber hose for the '01 filter, which I assume omits the loop, was not available in a timely fashion, so I quickly ordered the 013 filter to get it in time for this weekend. My question is, is there any reason to not cut the loop off my hose and use this filter? Also, the base gasket for the fuel pump assembly, I ordered a new one, but is it installed dry, or with a gasket dressing?

2. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I would think you could cut the loop off , as for the gasket the service manual says dry.