Fuel Stabilizer (yea or nay?)

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Joel Brown, Feb 25, 2019.

1. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    So pretty much the same conclusions for my VFR living at 3,000 feet plus in the Alps.. It is still snowing here at the moment, but already plenty of trips are planned around Europe this summer and in June next year a gang of us will be heading across Denmark and onto the Colorline ferry to a meet in Norway and a run up to the Artic circle. These bikes are amazing if you take care of them.

SkiMad

Joel Brown likes this.
  2. Norse

Norse New Member

Denmark
    Sounds like a good plan. Although June can be a bit iffy in the weather department in Denmark. Let me know if you need any help or pointer from a local.

And should you feel like a trip up here this year as well, I highly recommend "Thy Træf " the second week of August. Best biker event in Denmark for the past 40 years.

Joel Brown likes this.
  3. JIMLARCH

JIMLARCH New Member

Canada
    Map
    I’d add one thing. I always drain the carbs for winter. On my 1995 Vfr750 it’s a slight hassle reaching the drain screws with a long screwdriver, but worth it. I use stabilizer, but the fuel in the tank I drain, and put in my car. Hence fresh gas and charged battery, bike starts right up.

I use the same method for a bike I run rarely. Ethanol free gas, with stabilizer. Drain, put in car, replace with fresh gas and stabilizer. Starts every time.

The only downside to draining carbs is the float bowl rubber seal on one of the carbs may dry out from age. This happened on one of my carbs every year for about 3 years. After a few minutes carb seal would swell and no further problems. Last winter I replaced the seals, but that’s another story.

4. Expvet

Expvet New Member

United States
    Map
    For the 5 to 6 months I store the bike I fill up with high octane, add Seafoam, ride it till the tank is half full. top it up and add Stabil. No rust or clogging problems ever. Untreated ethanol gas that sits for months is asking for trouble. The ethanol eventually settles to the bottom and will begin to gel and clog injectors. And yes, short warm ups risk leaving internal condensation that will begin to cause rust problems.
    FYI, oil change before storage is a must. The acids that build up in the oil from blow by will eat metal like crazy