Fuel Tank Replacement Question

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by zoom-zoom, Jul 3, 2013.

1. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    I had a customer come in to my shop today to see if I could repair a dent in the side of his fuel tank. Unfortunately I was unable to repair the dent due to it's severity, location and the fact that the tank will require painting. Since I do Paintless Dent Repair for a living, my suggestion to the owner was to either have the tank repaired and painted (he already had one quote of $750), or to try and find a used tank that is in better or near perfect condition off either eBay, VFRW, VFRD, or Craiglist, etc.

My question to the members of this forum would be what year tanks will fit this particular bike. The tank in question is off a 2002 VFR800 w/ABS (not sure if that matters or not) and it is Pure Red as opposed to the darker metallic red found on some of the 6th gen bikes. From the research I have done, it would appear that the Honda Part Number for this particular tank (17500-MCW-D00ZC (type 3 WL)) is the same for years 2002-2004 but changes slightly for 2005 and up. Does anyone know whether the tank from any other 6th gen years would fit as well, or are there other differences between model years (other than color) that might negate the use of another year tank for this bike.

The owner of the bike is not a member of this forum (as a matter of fact, he had never heard of VFR World, tsk, tsk, tsk) and I mentioned that I would try and find out some information for him. Being a fellow VFR owner and motorcyclist I thought I would do whatever I could to help him get his bike back on the road again.

Any help from the board is greatly appreciated.

2. nearfreezing

nearfreezing New Member

United States
    Map
    Contact poniesatemybagel, who is parting out an Italian Red '03.

3. zoom-zoom

zoom-zoom Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks man. I forwarded the link to the classified section to the owner of the bike in question and I mentioned to email poniesatemybagel as well, in case he had any questions.

4. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I believe 02 to 04 red are the same italian red Colour
    +1 to the info above :thumbsup: