Garmin Zumo GPS thread.

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by jasonsmith, Nov 3, 2009.

Tags:
?

What do you have?

1. Zumo 550

30 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. Zumo 660

10 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. Older Zumo

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Want to get a Zumo.

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Okay, I was messing around again and here is the result. This is for those using Topo maps and/or those who live in mountainous areas and/or those who want their topo maps appear routable... In reality though it doesn't make the topo maps routable, but in turn shows the non routable topo data beneath the NT map.

In short I made my Topo Maps transparent. I used my backup Windoze machine and set the maps to transparent using a downloaded program and re-loaded them back onto the Zumo. Being transparent they are able to be loaded on top of the regular NT maps getting the benefits from both maps. The only drawback so far is that the map load time on the Zumo is slightly longer. I can't see it being an issue when riding though unless your going mach 3 or something. There may also be too much info on the screen for some but maps is my "thing" so I'm good with it.

Here are some screenshots, they look busy but keep in mind they're zoomed out a bit.

Regular Garmin NT Map ONLY / Topo ONLY / Both, NT with Transparent Topo overlayed.

[​IMG] Regular Garmin NT Map ONLY

[​IMG] Topo ONLY

[​IMG] Both, NT with Transparent Topo overlayed

HWY 20 Washington, the difference in this example is insane, way more rivers, creeks and therefor bridges etc

[​IMG] Regular Garmin NT Map ONLY

[​IMG] Topo ONLY

[​IMG] Both, NT with Transparent Topo overlayed

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  2. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    DELETED... Double Post, don't know what it is but I've had issues posting lately...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  3. BonusVFR

BonusVFR New Member

I do not use the Topo as much on the street as there is too much clutter for me. You can also load up a route on the CN and then go to the Topo and it should show up. Just turn off recalc unless you are on the routable Garmin stuff.

Here is a non routable Topo with a route ....NO CN needed. Just switch the mapsets after the Route is loaded.
    [​IMG]

Even the Topos do not show how beautiful RT 20 really is. One of my fav VFR roads.
    [​IMG]

Looking back down the from the basic same place as your Topo....you can see my tracks up the hill to the overlook. Zumo is great for punching in great finds on tour...like this overlook. Download when you get home. You can also barely see the icons for campsites from a campsite POI I loaded.
    [​IMG]

What a ride - RT 20 Cascade Highway!!!!
    [​IMG]

4. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Come with us, were doing it again in July. A very nice road indeed. Hoping to get a bunch of screenshots corresponding with pictures this time around.

5. BonusVFR

BonusVFR New Member

Love to but going to Alaska in June/July on a POS KLR....I do want to go back though BAD!

My favorite BC Zumo shot .......the High speed Ferry!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The North Cascades Highway is even bitchin to ride without those little TV screens to look at. There are even roadsigns for the scenic views and everything.

7. BonusVFR

BonusVFR New Member

Yea those signs are great.......found the Diablo overlook that way. Wished I had not missed other signs but I was enjoying the road so much. Tough to do it all.

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Nice pictures

9. Badbilly

United States
    Anybody planning on riding the North Cascades Higway should check beforehand to see if it's open. That can be as late as July in some years. Info on same at the Washington State Department of Transportation website. wsdot.

Coming from the South, 20 can be accessed a couple of ways.

10. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    hwy opened early this yr, yes April .unusually low snow pack this yr, so its good to go

11. Badbilly

United States
    That which opens can close. Case in point. A reversal in global warming and about 40 miles of highway in the boonies shuts down. Best IMO, on that stretch of road, to check. It also can slam shut early October. This could ruin a pefectly good lunch at The Ducks Breath in Winthrop.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/northcascades

Looks like from this, at least for a couple of hours this month a good crash helmet would be a good idea too.

For those doing the loop, a radar dectector is a good idea. In summer state smokies haul in guys from other locales. The head smokie is a" revenoor." The folks in Olympia love him. His first year, stops increased as I recall, 125% . Get nailed and you go to court in that county unless you specifically request on the spot that you be tried in your own venue. The prosecutors in some of the smaller counties (Chelan for one) will reschedule hearings knowing full well the passes are snowed shut. Making most attempts to have your day in court just another tough shit buddy deal..

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  12. BonusVFR

BonusVFR New Member

Never did get good chow in Winthrop. Tell me more about Ducks....is that the same as "Duck Brand" or another place?

13. Badbilly

United States
    LOL..I should have brushed up on the bad Ducks Breath.. Ducks Brand it is. Best spot in town to eat IMO. The other joints seem to be mostly tourist traps. Killer breakfasts too.

There is a restaurant in Twisp that is owned by a chef. Brews his own suds. Great food. Fuzzy on the name..

My club does an annual overnighter over 20 in October. We call it "Freezing your (ass or gas) on the pass." depends on who is telling the story. The ride is roughly in it's 25th year.

Highway 20 in the pass
    Smokin Nortons haulin ass.

ect..

14. BonusVFR

BonusVFR New Member

I will hit Duck next time as I for sure as hell had the tourist trap crap when we stopped in Winthrop ...thanks for the tip.

A road and trip not to be missed.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  15. Badbilly

United States
    Touristy food seems to come with the territory in some of those "designer" towns. Another to be careful of is Leavenworth. All that German oom-pa-pa stuff would have mein uncle Klaus shitting bricks. The 347 stoplights don't do much for the appetite either.

Oh well, the chow at Disney digs is crap too..

Ducks Brand can be a little slow service wise on the weekends. We used to call ahead for reservations to secure the deck.

16. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    Im not much for touristy food in those towns, but i do look fwd to school house brew pub in winthrop great food can sit by the river and sample some great micro brew, worth the trip just for that. i found thats the only place worth eating at in winthrop. owner is also a bike enthusiast.

17. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    ya, we did have a great time there didn't we.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Badbilly

United States
    You dudes know of course that drinking American beer is grounds for not letting you back into Canada.

There are likely some other good places to eat in both "designer" towns. Just hard to find for us touristas who pretty much stick to the main drags and where the ads point.

19. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Winthrop has lightning too. I don't like that bit the beer was good.

20. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Js for posting those pictures looking fwd to our rd trip in july , already craving that great in house IPA.

if you guys ever go through Edison hit up the small cafe on the corner has a big pie on their sign used to be a gas station in the 50's cant remember name . thats definitely not a touristy town cant be more than afew hundred residents.they make the best damn American breakfast hands down!