Garmin Zumo GPS thread.

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by jasonsmith, Nov 3, 2009.

Tags:
?

What do you have?

1. Zumo 550

30 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. Zumo 660

10 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. Older Zumo

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Want to get a Zumo.

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Just a heads up to 660 users, firmware 3.80 is available as of right now. Here's the official list so we can keep it handy.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  2. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    As long as you have that ram ball on there Dave the possibilities are endless. Looks like a good quality setup. Gotta love those Ram bits though. I have the extra bar mount installed as a spare right now, maybe for a satellite radio or a cup holder... :thumbsup:

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I need the longer arm to bring it close enough for me to read!

4. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    New Zumo 665 with XM

For those who have Zumo shopping in their future, here's another option.

5. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    So.....after so much harrassment from JS. I had to do something. I couldn't take his shit and abuse anymore. And the wife won't let me drink enough to deal with the pressures of my life that way. So today, at 1645 hrs on this First day of February in the year of our Lord 2010, from the district of Chilliwack, county of New Westmonster, Province of British Columbia in this Crown Dominion of Canada, I ordered the Garmin Zumo 660. Now we are really brothers. Cept he is so ucking fugley. Is there buttons or something on this thang JS?

How do I change my vote? Am am no longer a wannabe. I am now one of the elete

6. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Rock n Roll man, at least we have something in common now :tongue:

7. Spike

Spike New Member

It is disable-able, I have it disabled on mine, never ever get the alerts. Can't remember how without playing around with it, as I disabled it when I first got it 2 years ago.

8. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I saw this asked earlier but wondered if there was an update yet. Have you tried bluetooth yet? Basically here's what I want to know, can you hook an iphone to this thing and listen to the tunes on it either from itunes, or pandora (or whatever preferred web radio), and the phone will let you know if message, call, etc. or do you have to load music onto the gps using the expansion slot or whatever...

also, how well can you go through the options with gloves on?

And how well can you see it in daylight?

9. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    I have used the bluetooth Reg, you can not listen to music from your phone on the Zumo or to a headset connected to the Zumo. You can load music onto the Zumo via the microSD card (16g max) and listen to music from there while it's connected via a bluetooth or wired headset. Your iPhone can also be connected at the same time which you can receive incoming calls and make outgoing calls. BTW the iPhone is reported as being the most stable phone with the 660 from what I can tell so far, that's what I use as well. The Zumo will send directions, send music and operate a phone all at the same time. If a call comes in it will fade out the music, same with voice prompts. Like any other bluetooth device sometime it may drop a signal but for the most part it works great.

The 660 has large on screen buttons which work very well with gloves on. One hard button top that is an on/off as well as a quick press to get to volume/brightness. The screen is very bright which can be seen just fine in the sun.

10. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    If your into satellite radio then the Zumo 665 may be what you want. It is the same as the 660 ($200 more) but has XM capability.

11. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    ZUMO 220 Announced

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=65210

Differences from the Zumo 660

[​IMG]

12. lelievre down under

lelievre down under New Member

Hi I'm new the the forum - Sydney Australia . Bought a sweet balck VFR 2006 model with only 7000 kms on it and want to fit my GPS
    Garmin 276C - I have all the mounting gear but don;t want to mount to the bars if it can be avoided. The RAM site has a "plug" attachment that fits intot he nut on the steering head / triple clamp. Is that what some of you have used?
    Am interested in how well it works and also specific part numnber if you have it. Are there any simple places to hard wire into or do you need to trace back from the battery under the tank
    Any i
    nstall tips would be welcomed

thanks
    Andy

13. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Hi Andy, welcome to VFR World. Have you seen the posts at the beginning of this thread? They have a really good solution that most of US VFR owners are using. You can use the stem plug if you wish, I guess it boils down to if you like you GPS to move around or stay in one place. I don't like it on the bars because it moves about, but it is much much easier so see which makes it safer.

I routed mine straight to the battery, there are many places that have power up front but I don't like to splice into stuff as motorcycle electrics really aren't that good. The less you fiddle with the better in that respect. Check out the first page of this thread half way down you'll see the mounting device with a P/N that works great.

14. cheyanne9

cheyanne9 New Member

Has anyone been able to locate "motorcycle shops" with the Garmin units?

You would think since the Zumo line is made for bikes that it would be a search option.

Or am I not looking in the correct places.

I using the Zumo 550.

[​IMG]

15. Spike

Spike New Member

There is a download showing BMW shops, but I think BMW America created it.

and the poll for this thread confuses me it says 650, 550 or older Zumo. Uhh, wasn't there only one other Zumo, the 450? I realize there are newer ones now, but when the thread was created there were just the 3 I beleive, and the 450 and 550 came out at the same time. Or did I miss a previous generation?

16. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    There was also the Zumo 400 which was sold exclusively in Europe, it was a slightly more affordable option of the 550. Oh and I almost forgot about the Zumo 500, I'll let you check the dates of manufacture to see if they're actually older or not though.

17. Arno71

Arno71 New Member

Netherlands
    Map
    Zumo550 on clipons & Spiegler highbar

I use a Zumo550 on my 6th Gen.

First some pics the way I installed it with the regular clip ons.
    Reason to place it on the clip ons. short handmovement for onscreen adjustments, no issues with tankbag blocking the view and all other display's are readable.
    The unit is powerd by a cable linked via the ignition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After installing a Spiegler LSL superbike highbar I had to find anothe location resulting in the pictures below.
    I used the same powercable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Sometimes I don't understand. I Zumo what you guys are talking about. :pound: Jasonsmith is going to guarantee mine is properly installed without drilling holes in the oil pan or something. Mine has arrived and is sitting on my work bench waiting for these Olympic Games to be over so I can finally go home and ride again.

19. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Try " GPSOZ - for all your GPS requirements. " for GPS parts in Oz.

For my Zumo 550 I just used a ram ball mount that has the same width between the holes as the tank bolts and just popped down to the Repco auto shop for the longer hex bolts, to run the wires to the battery just bought the smallest black flexible conduit to run them in that I could find and routed it on the left side between frame and below the tank line...

[​IMG]

I also recommend a locking nob as it makes it a little harder to remove the mount, it foiled some tea leaves down Batemans Bay once long enough for me to pop my head back out of a cafe to see them in the act and yell at them, I had the Zumo in pocket but the were fiddling with the mount.
    [​IMG]

GPSOZ - for all your GPS requirements.

RAM - mount anything to anything

20. RangerSV650

RangerSV650 New Member

the Zumo is Huge! But I am sure it is worth it.. I am mounting a 60CSX I guess I am just a minimalist.