Garmin Zumo GPS thread.

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by jasonsmith, Nov 3, 2009.

Tags:
?

What do you have?

1. Zumo 550

30 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. Zumo 660

10 vote(s)
    16.9%
  3. Older Zumo

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Want to get a Zumo.

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. BonusVFR

BonusVFR New Member

Here are three RAM ball options for a 5th or 6th gen.

[​IMG]

1. RAM mount on the front tank mounts...my preferred Zumo Mount location

2. Zumo mount on the left bar...this mount comes with the Zumo kit. I have a long arm mounted there for a camera.

3. Angle job in the middle on the clip ons.

Note the RAM balls on top of the resorvoirs touch at full lock.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  2. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    ^^ Wow Bonus, you have balls all over the place... :tape:

I have the tank bolt mount as my primary and I mounted the provided one to my brake res just in case. Gotta love those ram bits, you can do anything you can think up.

3. BonusVFR

BonusVFR New Member

It gets worse.......

Here is my current rig for touring.....minus the big tank bag. This setup (Two more balls/dumbbells plus one short and one med arm) allows more adjusting and gives me more socket room in the stem powerlet.

[​IMG]

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Went over the Golden Ears Bridge today. I think that woman on the Zumo was having a stress attacK. She was ready to jump outta there and slap me up the side of the head. She needs a valium or to smoke a fat doobie or something. I thought that I had all the updates but I guess not. I love those topos though. How accurate are they if you carry this thing out in the bush?

5. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    I'm working on getting a copy of the free Canada topo as we type, gonna need to convert it for my mac though... :( I'll let ya know Randy, apparently it's quite good. Garmin doesn't make a super high detail version for Canada though like it does for the US, I have no idea how that is.

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    OMG! I feel like a piker! I just popped for a Tom-Tom for $120.00 It's waterproof in a ziplock and I am considering using duct tape to attach it to my faceshield so I can just blow off all this scenery shit that is so unnecessary.

I might change my mind and get one of those Zumas if they ever have a subroutine for cumulative road kill and a way to tell me that I am about to run up the ass of a moose around the next corner.

7. joner7777

joner7777 New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I have a 550 and use a blutooth flip helmet and you are right! any speed over 40 and i can`t hear any calls from the phone or intructions from gps voice and mp3 is a waste of time.
    Problem is ,i have a autocom set up but could not position the earpices properly in my old helmet and again over 40 was useless.
    Maybe if i get another new helmet(good one) and experiment with earpices?

8. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Bonus, Where do you go to get the topo map? I have to get with you to see your set up........

9. cheyanne9

cheyanne9 New Member

Piker.. PIKER - after reading these posts, I don't think I have made to the entry gate of pikerville.

I have a Zumo 550 and now I am searching for the topo option (running North America NT 2010.40 map softwareware)

The topo option (is that the firmware) - is this someting that is included in the updated firmware or am I missing something.

/piker at the tehno gate

10. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Ah it's all good man, you have something that is working and have lots of beer money left over. There are many options available and best one is the one that works for you. I say wait till ya find someone who has one and play with it and see if it's worth spending the money on or if you will even use the features available. Even if yours isn't as rugged and it breaks in a year you can still by 4-5 for cost of one of these.

It's just a different map set. Instead of running your 2010.40 your going to run a given set of Topographical maps. Better for hiking and off road as the normal maps don't show dirt, elevation etc. I think the 550 can handle tracks so really all you need is the maps. If you want maps that are routable you need to get one of the Garmin maps. If your just following terrain I would install a free one.

11. BonusVFR

BonusVFR New Member

I use an external amp on the VFR. I do not use it on my other bikes.

Here is the remote setup on the tank bag. Works with helmet speakers up to warp drive. If you use earbuds an amp is not necessary. Moving your speakers around in the helmet helps too.

[​IMG]

12. BonusVFR

BonusVFR New Member

I have the latest routine to identify road kill................works every time.
    [​IMG]

Here is the high technology I use.................this stuff is just out so you may not be able to get them in your area. It helps to be a mature rider too. There are some disadvantages too of course............but it happens to everybody I am told.
    [​IMG]

13. BonusVFR

BonusVFR New Member

Seem to be a few questions about Topo.

1. The Zumo can handle both City Nav and Topo. The Topo maps are stored on the SD card and have nothing to do with firmware. You can show either the Topo or the City Nav.
    2. The Topos are not necessarily more accurate than the City Nav maps. There are dirt roads in City Nav. You can route on all City Nav roads unlike some Topos.
    3. Just because there is a dirt road in a Topo does not mean that it is accurate. As an example in Dec, I was on a dirt ride out to an abandoned mine in AZ. There was no road in City Nav maps. Third party topo had a road but the map did not follow the actual road all the time...including big errors.
    4. Topos are useful for dirt riding but even with City Nav, Topo and a good map you may still be clueless. But it all helps!

As I posted earlier the best source I have for free Topos is gpsfiledepot.com If you start using Topos off road you will eventually have to learn how to use tracks as well. You must also change operating modes on the Zumo.

Here is an example of what can go wrong with reliance on Topos and or City Nav for off road work.

Here are my tracks and the route I had planned. Plus you can see the spider web or possible alternatives not on any map. I know I get confused but you can see how you might miss a trail.
    [​IMG]

14. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map

Billy...behave turd!

15. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Got my Zumo 660 today, Busy set up and try to get to know my new toy :)

16. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Any questions just ask Scuba, it's important that you get the most out of it. Don't forget to log into Garmin and update all the firmware and software. You get one free map update within 60 days of first turning it on. I think there should be a new map update coming out in short while if ya wanted to wait. The current is 2010.40 soon to be 2010.50. For a $100 bucks or so you can get a lifetime map subscription for one device only if you wanted to go that route.

17. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey Bonus....

What topo maps are ya using? I just installed the huge (3.5g) Ibycus Canada topo which is insanely detailed onto my mac (BaseCamp). For some reason though its all squished and constrained and isn't showing properly on the computer. Not sure why that's happening. It looks fine (normal) with Mapsource on my windows machine. I needed to install it on the windows machine first so I could convert it for use on the mac. I'm using the WA map from filedepot which works great. Looking for a decent Canada or BC map that looks the same. I don't need a routable topo map as we wit the Zumo's can just use tracks so don't wanna spend the money for a Garmin one. The Ibycus Canada map is by far one of the best out there with vegetation and all. I just wish it would draw properly in BaseCamp.

18. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Member

Canada
    Map
    For those who might be purchasing a headset in the near future the Scala Rider G4 is out. It's not cheap but so far the reviews are good. It has a one mile intercom range with the built in flip up antenna and has FM radio capability as well. One of the biggest features is the ability to upgrade the firmware from home which any of the others close to it's price range including mine and Randy's brand new XBi2's cannot do. :frown:

Review - Scala Rider G4 Intercom - webBikeWorld

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  19. BonusVFR

BonusVFR New Member

I use the California and AZ Topo from FileDepot. No sweat both work great on the Zumo and in Mapsource. I also have the West 24K Topo from Garmin which is what I am currently using for off road work in CA. I have messed with BaseCamp a little but all routing on and off road has been with mapsource.

Are you using the Topos for off road work?

When you are on the road, one thing you can do to workaround the non routable Topos with the Zumo is build a route on City Nav and then switch mapsets to the Topo ....the route will show up. Providing of course the roads are in the Mapset. Make sure you turn off reccalc though!!!!

With track conversions it is best to check them out especially if they are off road to make sure they match up well. You want to eliminate false starts, turnarounds etc which happen off road. I have never had a problem with street conversions. Sometimes if it is a confusing off road section I just follow my own tracks back out.

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    I wonder if any of these have a recipe book for recycling roadkill.? I am interested in moose ass fricasee with capers.

OK.. Serious .. Too much tech shit that requires attention including Ipods, intercoms, radios and GPS gizmos on a bike even at the posted speed limit that all the "mature" riders ride at all times, distract. We have been down the cellphone road already.

I guess some of you dudes need to see what happens when the rider hits the road instead of the rubber. I submit that Drewl has some pix and experiences he could show that might offer a little insight. All it takes is the smallest fraction of a second to fuck up and the rest to die because some button needed pushing or somebody thought that how far away the nearest piss stop was, was more important than paying attention to a 3,000 lb car flipping a U turn just around the next blind corner.

Also whenever I see what might be a little too much info on anything not asked for or about. I sniff a sales pitch..

Same shit happens in cars all the time. Are bikes excluded, and just because somebody owns or rides a bike does that make them good at it? I don't think so.

Am I being disagreeable here, and not entertaining? Awww.. I should be running for office..