Gawd awful noise

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by 34468 Randy, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Lgn001

Lgn001 Member

United States
    Map
    I'm glad it worked out OK, Randy. I couldn't download the video at the job I just finished (corporate blocking), and my dial-up connection at home just takes wayyyy too long. Besides, everybody else said pretty much the same sort of things I would of had to offer. Cheers!

2. crewwolfy

crewwolfy New Member

United States
    Map
    I did notice you were rolling the wheel backward; could that have anything to do with it? Or did you check in the same manner when you returned from the trip? Or was it doing this in both directions?

3. a90s2cs

a90s2cs New Member

When you shift gears without the motor running sometimes the gears don't engage like they should. I wasn't thinking it was a "false neutral, just a weird neutral, happens to my 450ex all the time... I put it gear when I park it and when I roll it backwards out of the garage it will make that sound until it click into first then back into neutral. I really don't think its anything to worry about.

4. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Wolfy,

Yes I did roll it both ways when I took it out the other day and the noise was gone.

Personally I think it was the chain being too tight and it was placing undue tension on the gears inside. Only the slight chance it may have been a false neatral. But it really did sound like two gears knocking against each other. Like I had mentioned, the rate of the knock was directly proportional to the RPMs that I spun the wheel.