Gen 5 rear Ohlins remote preload adjuster not working ?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by John451, Mar 8, 2015.

1. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    My Ohlins rear shock ( HO-801 ) with remote preload appears not to working, a mate suggested to check / refill the oil level for the remote preloads piston.

Has anyone had this issue or know how to check or refill the Preload adjuster ?

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

A friend of mine had to relocate the preload ring on his Ohlins, as he didn't have enough range of motion with the adjuster. The adjuster was working but just didn't allow him to dial in less preload. Are you positive that the adjuster does nothing or that there just isn't enough range with it? He mentioned that he was able to do this himself by the way.

3. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    The preload adjuster moves one thread or .040". Why do you want to refill? It would have to leak out and if that's that case it needs a rebuild. You have to take the spring off to get the adjuster off or adjust the preload rings. Do you have the correct spring for the bike and your weight? If you don't you may not "really" feel/see a change in ride height with the hydralic adjuster.

4. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    It appears as if the oil leaked or seeped out so believe it may require a rebuild or maybe new seals, reading similar on the interweb it appears some people have swapped to a heavier oil which has worked for them for several months until a rebuild is possible.

I believe the spring is correct for my weight and haven't noticed it as an issue when riding unladen recently or day rides however was checking it out reading my bike for a 4 day road trip next week worked out it wasn't functioning, unfortunately I'm normally carrying the kitchen sink on road trips so am in a bit of a dilemma.

5. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Thanks for your input, seems I was a bit premature had a mate adjust the preload and could see the preload gap still there and it was definitely increasing as e wound it up, it looks like there may be a little seal seepage as it is wound up a fair way to get the sag right compared to what it was and what how far it is wound up on his 954 Ohlins we used to sanity check against but at least it's doing its job for now and the pre load gap on the shock was still there and appears to be static, still might look at getting it rebuilt but ok for now.

6. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    I just had mine rebuilt, was $90 US at a local Ohlins authorized service shop. Seems to need it about every 3 years or so.

7. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map
    Ohlins states for street riding every 20000 miles it needs at least the oil changed. Equals a rebuild basically.

8. Terry Smith

Terry Smith Member

New Zealand
    Map
    I had the same issue with an Ohlins on my RF900. I think you are right, there's a tiny weep past the seal and that is all you need to lose the preload on the spring over time. There's a hex-head bung in the side of the adjuster that can be removed, and I refilled mine with fork oil. You might need to check that the master piston (the one that the adjusting knob bears on) is properly retracted when the knob is wound out, as I think it can sit too far into the cylinder after you've lost oil, so you don't end up refilling the whole volume that you should, and then the slave cylinder won't move as far as it should when the knob is wound in.