Gen 6 VFR = Poor handling?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Rainbow7, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

Aaaaannnnddd here's my new shock:

[​IMG]

Changing the shocks over was piss easy, thanks to this thread.

I only went for a quick ride on it and it seems a lot more plush than the OEM shock. I'll try and get a good ride in tomorrow and report back.

My front forks go in for a rebuild next week.

2. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't buy a VFR shock that didn't have a remote preload adjuster. Too damn hard to make future adjustments.

3. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

According to the experts at Maxton, since I neither carry a pillion passenger nor do track days, I will never require a preload adjuster. I did enquire about it (as it is an available option from Maxton) but they told me I simply won't need it in my case.

The shock arrives already set for your weight and your bike, so no adjustments are necessary right from the start.

4. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map

[​IMG]

5. 577nitroexpress

577nitroexpress New Member

United States
    Twin clicker from fox works awesome also old cbr600f3

6. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

UPDATE: I don't think the above post was correct. - Maxton quoted me with VAT but it seems that VAT is not applicable outside the EU so I don't think they actually charged me for it.

7. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    One thing to note re Forks is that unless you do track days or only ride billiard table smooth roads is not to go too stiff on the oil, valving or springs but I assume the suspension guy will ask you how want it biased.

Just changing my fork oil every 20K with Motrex " Racing " fully Synthetic 7.5w has made a big difference, had tried 10w once for 12,000kms but found it didn't work as well for me over the crappy things we call City streets and Country back roads. Mind I'm jealous on the rear shock, mines still standard Honda ( although refreshed 15k ago ) and after swapping Gen 5 VFRs with a mates with Ohlins understand how much smoother a good rear shock works.

8. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

Yeah, he knows what I need. Also, QLD roads are much better than the roads around Sydney, especially that goat track called the Royal National Park.

9. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Good suggestion, have fitted the Rosso 2's and find they are very good as Sporty road tyres with precise Linear Turn in nearly as good a feel as the Q2s in the warm dry tight long distance twisties with up 28C ( 82f ) temps but are way better than the Q2s in cold wet freezing conditions with snow and sleet like I struck from Khancoban on the way up to Kiandra day 3 of a 4 day 1200 mile Alpine ride last week. Conditions that'd frighten me silly on the Q2s I'd had 2 years ago.

10. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

OK, I have sorted out the VAT mystery. My initial post was correct: the total cost including UPS shipping was £490. I consider that to be excellent value.

11. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Good for you! Looks like a vast improvement.

Me, I am always tinkering with my shock for the ride ahead. I must be OCD, but I am always persuaded that the perfect setting is only one click away.

12. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Stumbled on this thread and was surprised by the poor handling of the OP. I'm new to the VFR, have had an 09 for 3 months now and even with the crap stock tires I find it to be very nimble in stock form. I will run it at the track eventually and see how it really feels (with some decent tires on it). I have a CBR 1000rr track bike with Ohlins forks with SBK valving and a Ohlins rear shock all sorted out to my weight and riding ability (A on most tracks) so I will have a decent perspective of the stock VFR. But my VFR will probably stay more or less stock suspension as I'm not going to track her regularly. I spent way to much money and time sorting out my track bike to do this to a sport tourer.

13. JamieDaugherty

JamieDaugherty New Member

United States
    Map
    I must admit that I'm really surprised at your comments. With your experiences with the CBR I would expect you to pick out the shortcomings of the stock VFR suspension pretty quickly. It's pretty basic: not enough low speed damping and too much (excessive, really) high speed damping. Getting the suspension sorted out on the VFR turns it into a completely new bike.

14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    No doubt that a dialed in vfr is much better, I was just saying right out of the box it is a very nice machine. I had a YZF 600 back in 03(Thundercat) and it was quite good out of the gate too. I will have the suspension adj and all the mods with a good dyno tune hopefull by the end of spring. I have been reading a lot on the varrious fourms and starting to get a good idea of things I want done. Just starting to look at the suspension threads.
    I think I will have this bike a long time.