Genmar riser fitment

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Tyz, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Tyz

Tyz New Member

United Kingdom
    hi all,
    I've just purchased a set of Genmar bar risers for my Gen 5 VFR800 to add a bit more comfort for a touring trip i have planned in a few months. The instructions state that some owners drop their forks by 10mm. Having searched the topic some do this for improved steering (5mm seems more common for stability trade off?) but others were also concerned about the lack of 'clamping' force applied on the fork leg with riser in place? I don't need racer light steering, I'm more concerned with safety and comfort. Being a complete novice to this modification I would welcome any advice from owners who have added risers and their experiences please.
    Thanks in advance

2. Norse

Norse New Member

Denmark
    I have the same type of risers on my Gen5. Been riding with them most of last year.
    No need to worry about clamping force. As long as the bars are far enough on the fork, that the clamping bolt is not above it, it will be solid.
    Even picked up the bike after finding it on its side in a car park, lifting only by the bars and zero movement in the bars.

How far (if at all) you drop the fork, is really down to personal preference. As long as you are zero and the commonly accepted maximum, you will be fine. The risers won't affect the geometry of the bike after all. Only your position on it.

3. Tyz

Tyz New Member

United Kingdom
    Thanks For the reply Norse, much appreciated. I'll be fitting them at the weekend. How the do you find them from the standard fitment?

4. Norse

Norse New Member

Denmark
    I really like them. They give just enough lift to make the riding position more comfortable for long rides, but not so much that you can't get your chin on the tank.

I have been thinking about removing them. Mostly for looks and a slightly sportier feel. But then again, I don't really need them. I'm perfectly comfortable without them and honestly, the tank/knee grips do much more for comfort. At least for me. Those are the single best upgrade I did to my bike.

5. Tyz

Tyz New Member

United Kingdom
    I just fitted the risers now. There is play in the riser itself and it does not locate securely when torqued. Pretty sure this isn't correct but followed instructions included. Any suggestions?

6. Norse

Norse New Member

Denmark
    I don't know what the problem could be. As mentioned, mine are a different brand, but same style and they fit perfectly. Very snug when loosely fitted and absolutely no play when torqued to spec.

Tyz likes this.
  7. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Did you by chance get the wrong set for 43mm forks instead of 41?

8. Tyz

Tyz New Member

United Kingdom
    No definitely 41mm. The play is with the spacer moving in the notch on both sides as the handlebar isn't securing it properly (hope that makes sense?)