Good God!!! Hit by a cager today.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by JBzRed07, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Davidvfr

Davidvfr New Member

Map
    Don't think it is limited to the U.S.!!

:mad:

To the original poster: glad you're ok, all the best in getting the insurance side sorted.

:vader:

2. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

Update:

Update: My bike is NOT Totaled.

Consensus; no way the bike is totaled. The section of the bike that absorbed the initial impact was the rear passenger foot peg bracket and then part of the tail-pipe. The frame itself is perfect! Most of the damage is cosmetic. With that being said, if there is a blemish anywhere on the bike, then that part will be replaced. So basically, all the plastics will be changed out as well as the gear shifter, right-side muffler cover, rear-passenger foot peg bracket, clutch lever and the dash panel cover.

Am I ok with this? Absolutely!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  3. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

good to hear!

4. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

Thank you sir! Man, I woke up this morning, the weather was perfect, and since I couldn't ride today I just decided to go visit her at the Honda dealership. When I got there, they were already beginning to prep her for repairs. I can't wait to get her back! :ncb:

5. CdnVffer

CdnVffer New Member

"VFFER DOWN WE'VE GOT A VFFER DOWN!" Glad to hear your ok I was taken out last summer by a Cabbie Cager so I know the feeling! These cagers just don't pay attention we had a woman in her late 80's lose control of her car in a Walmart lot this past year, and ran into a bus stop shelter killing 2 people! Good to hear your ok and thankfully the bike can be repaired!

Cheers....

6. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Driving Examinations on a regular basis should be mandatory after 65. What have you got to fear? Loosing you licence to drive? If that happens, I have less to fear.

I have told my wife that if the time comes that my driving begins to scare her (more than it does now) then even though I will likely get mad at her, I am telling her now to report me to the Supt. Motor Vehicles. She may save my life in doing so.

There does come a time in life that we must rely on others to do the driving for us. We do reach the point that we have done our part.

7. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

Thanks Cdn. I hope you're doing well after that 'Hit By A Khamikaze Cager' experience of yours also.

There was a similar experience here at a neighborhood pharmacy, where an elderly woman wedged a man between her car and a Ford Crown Victoria. Firefighters were already in the parking lot; and by the time they ran over to help the man, the lady's foot was still on the accelerator with the tires spinning. The poor fellow died later at the hospital.

8. btay67

btay67 New Member

Map
    Glad to hear you'll be getting your bike back. Hopefully you'll be up to par when she is finally ready...

9. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

:sportbikesmile:

10. ralph66

ralph66 New Member

Map
    Glad your ok, ive had some close calls but never got hit, be careful man
    :rambo:

11. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    what a bummer, but i'm glad you're ok.

12. MiddleAgeCrazy

MiddleAgeCrazy New Member

Map
    Get a lawyer. I hate lawyers, they are the scumbags of the earth. They'll get you twice as much from this guy's insurance but you'll wind up giving him 1/3. Don't sign off until bike is 100% and you are too. I would guess you are going to suffer some psychological damage too, if not now for sure in the future. Can you put a price on that?

Anyone here old enough to remember those old bumper stickers?

THINK SEE MOTORCYCLES

13. JBzRed07

JBzRed07 New Member

Thanks for the support everyone! I believe I've learned a valuable lesson from all of this; and that is, if cager-pilots think they can use their vehicles to intimidate a motorcyclist, and get away with it, they will do it.

14. MiddleAgeCrazy

MiddleAgeCrazy New Member

Map
    I knew an old Harley riding fellow that got hit by a cage. The gas caps came loose from the fat bob tanks and spilled the gasoline on him that ignited on his leather jacket. This made the nylon lining melt and adhere to his skin all the while he was on fire.

He spent several weeks in a burn unit.

He told me once " When I start riding again I'M going to carry a pistol."

To which I said " Why are you going to open fire on the driver?"

He paused for a long moment and said " No, I'll shoot myself before I go through that kind of pain again... "

By the way I was hit by a cager that ran a yield sign once in Carmel, California. He went through the sign and I went clear off the road to avoid him. As he turned he hit my left foot and foot peg. Cutting my foot open. I almost rode on as I hate the cops and AM loathe to get involved. But when I realized he tore off my left foot peg I said to myself " Hey that's not cool Muther F***er!!!" I hadn't realized until I looked in the mirror but my foot and peg tore the bumper cover off his Honda car.

No lawyer but when I got my cash off his insurance Co. it worked out about $1,000 a stitch. Some of this I spent at an old time local dealer on my 87 VFR, that was $3850 out the door before tax.

15. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Friday at 5:15pm (still very light out) I was in the cage waiting at an intersection (facing East) for my green left turn arrow. No one else near the intersection. The light turned red for the regular flow and my green arrow came on. A car coming the from West caught my attention and something told me she was unaware of the presence of the entire intersection so I waited...sure enough she blew through the red light at 30 mph. She wasn't on the phone or doing anything else...just lost in thought. Coulda been toast! Stay aware, kids!