Gotta hang up the helmet.

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by H3nry, May 6, 2018.

1. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Sorry to hear about your dilemma. My wife's father and brother both had issues with dizzy spells as they got older
    and had to quit riding. I've heard of guys going to trikes, both types, or sidecars even. The Spyder looks like a viable
    alternative, but really is hard to say. It's a bummer any way you look at it.

2. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Low blood sugar ?? Eat more cake.

3. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    It’s s never fun giving up something that is so much a part of you. Has something changed, like a pinched nerve? New medication? The FIL is going through the same thing, and CBD oil on the soles of his feet at bed time oddly relieves him.

4. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    H3nry, I can only echo what others have said. All the best as you find another great way to recreate.

5. H3nry

H3nry New Member

United States
    Map
    In answer to sfdownhill's private note:

8110 miles right now. Not many miles for her age. I bought it from the original owner with 3500 miles on it about 3 years ago. He had parked it for several years, so I went thru everything of course. Changed all fluids and worked on the brakes, replaced thermostat, fixed the burnt stator / regulator wiring (glad I didn't fly out and ride it home; It wouldn't have made it.) Lately, I haven't ridden it for a year or so. I also had a 750 Magna, a Suzuki VX800, and A GSXR 1100 which split riding time. I've sold the other bikes. This is hardest to let go.

Mods:
    Heavy duty MOSFET regulator twice the size of the OEM part, mounted on the left passenger foot peg strut where it gets lots of air. Battery wiring redone. The ground block / diagnostic thing was removed and all the wires soldered, shrink wrapped, and a heavy additional wire to frame ground installed.

The dealer install of the exhaust was sloppy. For instance the ECU was hot-glued to the plastic bodywork. Since the back fender has to go, everything back of the tank changes. I remounted the ECU to the subframe, made a metal "fender" between the side rails, made a battery box to take a common 12 AH battery which you can buy at any Walmart, fixed up a way to unlatch the seat, and lots of minor details which Wolf Racing doesn't concern themselves with for track use. It's worth it. Visible mounting hardware for the license plate is tiny and stainless steel. The exhaust note is perfect. That V4 is plainly audible any time throttle is applied, but quiet enough at highway speed to blend with the wind and the cam gears. Best sounding bike ever, and I've owned many.

LED headlights. Brighter and a little more spill to the right and up onto road signs. Nobody flashes their lights at me, so I assume spill to the left is about the same as OEM. LED tail light bulbs.

Voltmeter.

Turned the stock fan around so it blows outward. Helps in slow rush hour traffic where the fan used to sort of cancel air flow due to forward motion. Added a pair of small computer fans on the right side. No room for a larger fan, but these help in slow traffic and 100F temps. In general I'd say side radiators are a bad idea.

Flapper valve removed. PAIR removed. The 3000 RPM stumbles are gone. The catalyst and O2 sensors are still there, and I like a self-tuning closed loop fuel system.

I'm sure there's other stuff which slips my mind at the moment.

Tires - I have track day tires from the GSXR with all the meat still on them except at the extreme edges. They go on the street bikes. No chicken strips. At safety inspection time, somebody always remarks about the front tire feathered to the edge on the Magna, and of course I don't think the cruiser leans that far anyway. ;-)