Greetings from Ohio

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Scotto, May 29, 2015.

1. Scotto

Scotto New Member

United States
    Hello, I'm Scott from the Cleveland area, and I'm new to this forum. I just purchased a '99 VFR with 8100 original miles on it (8300, now). I'm 57 years old, 5'7'' 150 lbs and a military veteran (enlisted USMC scum, US Army officer). This is what I've owned in my 39 years of riding:

1975 Honda CB360T
    1975 Honda XL100
    1975 Kawasaki 175 F7
    1977 Yamaha RD400D
    1975 BMW R600
    1982 BMWR650
    1994 Kawasaki ZX1100
    1997 Ducati 900 Supersport
    2003 Honda 919
    2004 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Roadster
    2007 Harley Davidson 883 Low
    2002 Yamaha XV650 VStar Silverado
    1999 Honda VFR800Fi
    1981 Suzuki GS 550

The stable currently consists of the RD400D (in pristine condition, it now serves as an art piece), the 650 Yamaha, and of course the Viffer.

I rode the Honda about 200 miles yesterday. It has Heli bars, Avon Storm 2 Ultra tyres, Speigler clutch and brake lines, the front forks have been disassembled and deburred/revalved and resprung with Race Tech Fork springs and new seals, and an aftermarket Zero Gravity windscreen.

After I finish my coffee and put in some time with the GF this morning, I'm going to UPS to pick up my Two Brothers M2 can (aluminum, I'm somewhat on a budget). On the way is a Power Commander and K&N air filter.

I don't like thrashing machines, so my self imposed redline was 6500 RPM. That's plenty because I found myself going 95mph in a 55mph zone.

My initial impressions of the Honda: It handles almost as well as the Ducati, only it is more forgiving. I love the gear whine. The water temp fluctuation is a little disconcerting, but I'll get past it if it is normal. The Heli bars must help with the riding position. I think I could iron butt this machine. It's plenty of bike for me, but I'd love to have a 1200. It seems like a very complex machine, but I have the mechanical skills and experience to do anything to the mill, including a rebuild. I have a service manual which will come in handy. I was thinking about this bike, and it's ability/complexity. I think it's like an Indy car sawed in half.

If I had not found this machine on Craigslist, I would have bought a new one, although I would have HATED a monthly payment. The new VFR on the showroom is what convinced me to buy the used one on Craigslist. I fell in love with the bike on the showroom floor, and was lucky enough to get the bike on Craigslist. It was only listed for a few days, and I was lucky.

That is all. Thanks for reading, and thanks for all the future help.

Regards,

Scott

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  2. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Welcome to the forum. You need to know that we are very fond of photographs of alledged VFRs here. Post'm up quick before you get the usual lashing.

The VFR is a fine machine for us old foggers. I know I have ridden a couple Iron Butts on mine without the helli risers, so if I can with all the injury issues from the past I have, I am sure someone who has lived your lifestyle for many years will/can too.

Mine is about 190,000 km (118,000 miles) young now. All the miles were put on by myself, or I was riding the bike right next to it at the time. You will be fine.

3. Scotto

Scotto New Member

United States
    I'll post pics as soon as I can figure out to accomplish that.