Guy flys off road video

Discussion in 'USA - West' started by RVFR, Mar 29, 2017.

1. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  2. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    ⊙.⊙ Lucky guy! °.•

3. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I did not really see the reason other than rider error and speed. I think that I saw his legs go down on the pavement with a healthy feeling of "Oh Fuck" with the rear brakes hit hard. He must have hit the rear in a panic and could not steer into the corner is my guess. That is always my fear. I always have to work on this first reaction. I need another riding course and practice since I have not been riding for 3 yrs until last year, and have not been really testing myself. That is why I want to see more group rides for myself to inforce knowledge learned, but needed revisiting and commentary. Knowing your limits is the key as we all know. I think this guy did not know his. and as link said "Lucky man".

4. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    To add to this, is I feel bad that the guy won't be invited to another group ride. And will have to pay a lot for the helicopter ride. I did not see the reason of the CHP to just pull him out conventionally with a broken arm. If he would have life threating injuries sure. To be sadistic, I love the quote of his riding buddy that I give kudos to for going down was that when the techs asked "Is his bike down there? Buddy saying "No it's in the Tree!". I would hate to be the group that had to extract the bike up a tree!

5. sfdownhill

sfdownhill New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks like the twisty section of Mulholland Highway just up the hill from the Rock Store. Malibu canyon area.

6. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Holy Angels! At least I see I could fly off a cliff and potentially survive.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    ACH here in LA, was on the news Tuesday night. If ya look on YouTube there's a ton of bike crashes up there.
    Remember back in the 80's there were soooo many bike accidents weekly, if you had to have medical evacuation by helicopter it cost you minimum 3k--- sure it's tripled by now.
    Guy was definitely lucky doin the rag doll dance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Events like this make a good case for group rides and ATGATT.

9. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Bubba, I can say that the Total Control ARC conducted by Lee Parks is one great course. I took it a few years ago because I felt that I needed to unlearn some bad habits I picked up from not practicing what I did know and learn years before. One of our members here on the forum is an instructor, Outlaws_Justice I believe is his screen name.

Anyway, look into it online, I'm sure you'll get a lot out of the course. Here's a link: http://www.totalcontroltraining.net

10. OOTV

OOTV Insider

This looks like just about any mountain road here in So Cal to be honest, without a decent road marker or well known landmark, this could actually be anywhere down here. However, if one was to look up the fire engine number, that would help to narrow it down, that is of course if one didn't hear it on the news first. As Duccmann mentioned, it appears it was Angeles Crest Highway (ACH).

It's funny, a lot of the comments for the video ask the same question, "Where was this?", "ACH?", etc., and none of them got answered.

I'm also curious as to what angles he did have when he was spinning in the air!

11. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    I'm thinking Pirelli

12. zombie

zombie New Member

Canada
    I would like to see the video (if there is one) on how to pick bikes out of a tree. I've picked apples before but never a bike...

13. Lint

Lint Member

United States
    Map
    Hahaha, right?

Not sure about the angles, but he did make a nice arc...

14. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Willie is a lucky duck.

15. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    He is more than lucky, a 'soft' landing in the tree was a much better fate than the Ford SUV a few 10th's of a second later! I was the next one around the corner after some kid passed me, and did the same thing, except he got run over by an on coming car. Some things you will never forget. Couple of corners past Newcomb's Ranch back in the 80's.

16. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    Here's another similar crash that was recently posted on my local sportbike forum. I've actually ridden with this guy a few times and really don't like him. I've seen him do some pretty stupid shit, and this isn't his first bad crash. He blamed the "fresh paint" of the dbl yellow, but he obviously was riding above his ability since he drifted over to the line in the first place. Not really saying he deserved to crash, but.....

[video=youtube;BV7k8pXhZEg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV7k8pXhZEg[/video]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  17. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    Dude never had a good line and was riding too fast for that corner and his capabilities. Paint had nothing to do with it -- though he did wash the front end at the centerline it actually looks like he was on the other side before he dropped it. You can hear him rolling off the throttle before it goes down.

If he thinks paint did that he has learned nothing from that crash.

18. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Gotta love it when the "experts" spend a couple of minutes looking at a six square inch shot on UTube and have it all figured out how and why some guy went splat on a bike at speed. Wish I could do that. I could save tons of government money being a consultant to all kinds of folks who are now doing this type work and costing us money. I may write great leader today and share this.

Then again maybe I need glasses.

Anybody that thinks that yellow paint used by many states ain't slick even when bone dry is full of shit.

Kind of a long read for the rattlecan rangers but here's how the big boys view it:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/ttsb/chemical/pdf/pth_02alkyd.pdf.

19. OOTV

OOTV Insider

From a cursory look, it did look like the painted lines was a contributing factor and having seen them down a few riders first hand I will not rule them out. Whether they did or did not play a part in the crash, why he went over the lines would be the better thing to question, rather than was it the lines or not. If the rider solely blames the lines for his crash then that's his second mistake. He needs to understand why he crossed them and then work from there.

I'm sure all of us can admit to going over the lines for one reason or another. Perhaps a decreasing radius turn, target fixation, a last minute change of line due to something in the road, perhaps trying to catch that last few minutes of Oprah on the mobile phone and just missing the apex. Whatever the reason is, if I happen to find myself about to cross over, I ease off the brakes, try to decrease my lean angle until I cross them and then lean back into the turn to get back over them, at hopefully a slight lean angle. Obviously each situation requires different actions but braking and/or throttle when on the lines is something I try and avoid.

20. MooseMoose

MooseMoose New Member

United States
    Once again you don't read or comprehend the point and then go off and be a fucking asshole. Nobody said paint isn't slick. You just made that up so you could respond in a fucking asshole trolling manner.

Just to be clear, you are a fucking asshole. Leave me the fuck alone, fucking asshole.

Accidents are generally a long series of events. Any one of which can be broken to prevent it from happening. This guy never should have been at the paint line. He never should have been riding that line, or at that speed, on that street.

But you know that and are willfully ignoring all of it so you can be an asshole. So go fuck yourself sideways, asshole.