1986 VFR700FII

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Captain 80s, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Just got my friend's carbs apart. His fuel o-rings were all cracked, almost crumbling. Ticking time bomb.

2. A.J.B.

A.J.B. New Member

Canada
    Map
    can't wait to dig into mine then :/

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Another conversion done.
    [​IMG]

sixdog likes this.
  4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Carbs are completely rebuilt, documented and bench synched. All new o-rings.
    [​IMG]

Next up is doing all the coolant pipe seals / o-rings before installing carbs. I have them all, just need to roll the 1000R off and this up.

Cyberob and sixdog like this.
  5. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Cooling system o-rings all replaced. Rebuilt carbs re-installed.
    [​IMG]

Need to button up the intake system. Next the calipers will get dis-assembled and gone through as they are sticking a little bit. Should just need a clean up of the pistons and seals. Installing a 1987 shock (10mm longer) to compensate for the 1988 17" VFR rear wheel along with a CBR600F front 17" wheel. It might get a Fox Twin Clicker I have, haven't decided yet.

6. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

The all white VFR's were always the most majestic......just went through the whole caliper thing myself, haven't posted any pics yet. Hopefully, yours are in MUCH better shape than what I encountered. Keep up the great work.

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    [​IMG]

17" CBR600 Hurricane Front wheel painted. New bearings on the way. Rear Euro VFR 17" is almost done being prepped. I sprayed the lips after doing the CBR wheel but have a little more blending to do. Should have it done later this week. Tonite would be a perfect night for some painting (mid 70s in Seattle!!!), but a better plan sounds like a trip down in the valley for a snack and refreshment this afternoon.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
    Tom Smithhisler likes this.
  8. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Wheel is looking clean. Getting a little schooling on the various mods you can do to the 1k's, by repurposing bits from other machines. Painting can wait, good weather in March is worth the sacrifice in your neck of the woods.

9. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I took my opportunity last night. I am so close to getting the 700FII wrapped up. Nothing ridiculous mods wise, just a period correct "what if" for a beautiful classic white 86 VFR. It needed tires anyway so why not go 17" even if they are not wide radials.

10. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    [​IMG]

Sprayed the 1988 VFR 17" rear wheel last night. Wanted to get that done before the next weather system comes in tonite. Came out pretty nice. I probably should have just stripped the edges as I had to spend a fair amount of time blending out chips. But It's done. I also got all 3 calipers off last night to go thru. Don't expect anything major as they look really good, but they were sticking slightly so it is time.

11. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    And that's what I did. Stopped in a little town called Duvall on the Snoqulamie River.
    [​IMG]

Ewwww... look at those wheels. That's embarrassing. And the dude on the right walking down the sidewalk is just about say fairly loud, "Love me a Viffer!" Then he got closer and was fairly perplexed. Explained to him that he was right but it is a fairly custom one.

12. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
  13. straycat

straycat Member

United States
    Map
    looks nice and warm where you guys are, im still neck deep in snow, im still months away from riding :( pic was taken this week

IMG_3917.jpg

14. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The RC26 is gonna get another set of wheels painted matte black. The F2 rims are a BITCH to keep clean. I love the white when they are clean, but damn. Plus the Galfer pads I chose for the front are making a mess! I like them, but it's ridiculous. Might have to swap in some different pads.

15. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    Understood....I got tired of Saturday wheel clean up........ :)

16. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    [​IMG]

Everything actually looks pretty good. Some gunk rings on the pistons. Will take the seals out for inspection / replacement and give everything a bath. Should be easy.

34468 Randy likes this.
  17. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I so miss my bench. I ripped it out when I started the rehab of my shop but that process has stalled. I am wanting to rebuild my calipers if I don't get a new bike. Well pull them apart and look at them at least. They have never been apart since new some 135 K miles or so ago. I best get the bench done first or I am going to loose all sorts or parts.

18. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Something you don't see everyday, Comstar on a 86 VFR. Using it so I could remove the rear wheel and pull the disc and cush and still have a roller. Now I can turn it around and work on the front wheel.

[​IMG]

19. sixdog

sixdog Member

United States
    Map
    I like the look...I love those Kerker tips. I had some at one time and sold them....wish I still had them.

20. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Lookin' really good, Cap! I had an issue with organic pads, EBC Blacks, on the rear of my '06....they lasted about two weeks before they found the dumpster. Was doing an experiment to see how less grippy pads would effect the link braking. The only effect I managed to achieve was making a mess.....

I don't care how much you have to clean them, white wheels look the best, IMO. Went with the black on the RVF.....not sure if they will stay that way. I do have an extra set of ceramic bearings and SKF seals, should I decide to do it. Just saw a restored set of those comstars on an NSR400 project bike at Restocycle..always liked those wheels for some reason.