Hardest technique to master?

Discussion in 'New Riders' started by misti, Nov 7, 2013.

1. FootballGuy

FootballGuy New Member

Remembering to fasten my helmet strap. I just hate it when I get home and go to undo it and it's already undone. Whew! Hardest thing? Not running into the car ahead of me that just stopped while I was eyeballing some some hottie. That can be fatal attraction. Keeping your head in the game is a challenge. I have a code, a mental checklist before I suit up. Am I in a hurry, am I disturbed, distracted, angry, tired or otherwise not focused? I do this everytime without fail. The absolute hardest thing EVER, not running from the cops when getting pulled over. It would just be soooo easy. Had a scanner when I was younger. Police were chasing a rider on the hiway. He started to say "I hit..." then caught himself and said "He's down". Scary, very scary. Another tough one is not to look at the road surface in the corner and look at the vanishing point instead. I always freak over man hole cover, gravel, painted lines and concrete lumps spilled by cement trucks. In case there is someone that isn't familiar with the vanishing point Google it, no just kidding. It's the point in a curve where the center line meets the shoulder of the road. It's the farthest you can see ahead in a curve. It is used as a reference point to regulate speed, the purpose being to travel at a maximum speed that would still allow you to completely stop before reaching the vanishing point. If I am traveling at a speed that prohibits my being able to fully stop before the vanishing point than I am risking death. It's a practise and developed discipliine. That's my two bits. Like my friend Barry says all the time, "Keep the rubber side down".

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

Who she makes hard would have to be on a case by case basis including recusals.

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    +1what FBG said

4. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    As a new rider, understanding countersteering, if you don't understand the concept and the physics involved, you are going to get in big trouble when your mind takes over and you do what you think is right! Been there, done that.

5. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    My thinking for survival on the streets is to have dirt bike experience so when you do get in trouble and have to counter steer..its comes natural to do it

6. jugornot

jugornot New Member

United States
    Map
    The skill I have the hardest time perfecting is avoiding the cages that invade my lane. I did a truly marvelous job for many years, but when one points their car at a point 5 foot in front of my bike,which is traveling at 50 mph, I just haven't mastered the tactic that lets you avoid that freaking VW.

... And no I don't think you can practice that at a track day.

7. nih

nih New Member

Map
    As newer rider id say high speed corners, judging angle, line, speed and not freaking if you feel you are to fast, took course last summer that sucked but guy said 'bike will do more than you ever will" i keep that in mind as confidence, just dont be a pussy and lean the bike around the corner.

8. MPH Racing

MPH Racing New Member

Canada
    Map
    Think the hardest thing for me to learn was not leaning the bike so far over that I scrapped the pegs and kicked my foot off. I used to buy a few sets of sacrifical acorn nuts for the peg ends every summer.

9. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    It's all difficult. Every aspect. That's what makes it fun!

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Ya I just play the what if game and just ALWAYS expect a nimrod move.....always have a finher or two on the front brake and a finger on the steble horn....

11. rvmiller

rvmiller New Member

United States
    Map
    For me it is: Cornering/ speed adjustment while in the curve. I commute to work and on the curves that I know, I take them 10-20 mph faster on my bike than I do in my car. I push myself to "go fast" on them- That makes the Ride for me. The curves that I don't know, I typically play it safe and go within my limits of what I can see down the road. I "look where I want to go" - that was some of the best advice I was ever given

Ride Red!

12. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map

I'm talking about how the grip from the tires change over time, even within a session. You have to adjust on the fly.

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The same could be said when a bunch of alligators cross the track. Or porcupines or those bigass snakes y'all have down there.

14. misti

misti New Member

Map
    Dirt experiences is great to have not only for added practice with counter-steering and quick turning but also for getting more comfortable with the bike sliding around. Having that experience with the bike moving around underneath you will make it less likely that you will freak out if you encounter a slide while riding a street bike.

This is a tough one for sure, judging entry and corner speed and not freaking out if you are entering in too fast (or you perceive you are entering in too fast) Besides trusting your bike to be able to handle it, how else can you improve your ability to sense your speed? What things can you practice with your visual skills that might help this?

Good one, I had a hard time changing my body position at first, I was totally crossed up and scraping hard parts constantly. What wast the biggest change you made that helped you not lean the bike over as far, and why is leaning the bike over less important? :)

15. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Marriage with children

Nothing else even comes close

16. misti

misti New Member

Map
    Ha! I totally 100% agree, especially when both mom and dad are used to care free, high speed living without a care in the world ;)

17. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    More on counter-steering from the master, Keith Code:
    Dangerous Misconceptions

Now if you want to look a little further into this, what you will see is this: riders who still labor under the misconception that they body steer are devoting themselves to a system that can do a great deal of actual harm. Firstly, it is seriously misguided to add an additional series of actions to the steering process. When it is quick, critical steering that is needed to avoid something, that lag I have observed so many times in street riders, could cost you your hide.

Adding 2/10ths to 5/10ths of a second, or more, to the steering procedure at 60 mph means that you have just gone another 18 to 44 feet, or more, down the road before you started to avoid that muffler lying in your path. Kids, don't try this at home.

The way things are going there will be warning labels on motorcycles in the not too distant future.

WARNING: THIS VEHICLE COUNTERSTEERS. IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND COUNTERSTEERING DO NOT RIDE. SEEK THE HELP OF A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL Riding Coach.

To read complete article go to: http://www.superbikeschool.com/machinery/no-bs-machine.php

18. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    I have never personally met a rider who said he/she didn't believe in countersteering. I have met "pushers" and "pullers" though.

19. danny_tb

danny_tb New Member

I have marriage without children, and it's already hard enough to get out for a ride... Seems like my riding life will be over when children enter the scene... :(

20. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    To keep your sanity you have to make time!