helmets in the panniers

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by wannabfast, Jan 25, 2017.

1. amoreira88

amoreira88 New Member

United States
    Map
    Just ordered Honda top case today. Did not expect to pay that much. But it's what I want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Only if the helmet is made of leather

3. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    For the money and the size I would like to justify the cost of OEM hard bags because I think it completes the bike. But, I have not been able to at $899 for the saddle bags and another $300 for the tail bag. For over $1300 I like personally to have soft bags. That includes tank, saddle and tail bags. In my opinion it gives you greater flexibility for me and those of us that ride in generally lighter weather and commuting. Soft luggage allows you to be able to add camping packs with tent, sleeping bag, etc. all wrapped up in water proof outer bags. But seriously I REALLY want the OEM set, but again the price is way to high for me and the spacing in my garage will not allow me to do so. To each their own.

4. Corrugated

Corrugated New Member

Canada
    Just an update on this situation for me (as my old Shoei RF1100 sized large, had expired). I am now trying a new RF1200 medium and it appears I can get this helmet to fit in the bags (LH anyways). :)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  5. Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy

Dead Eye Dick AKA Carpy New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I have the OEM setup on my 06. I prefer to have hard cases as I can leave them secured to the bike with my gear inside them if I am away from the bike. If I had soft luggage I think I would be constantly concerned about the safety of my stuff whilst the bike is out of sight or I would have to unclip the soft bags and take them with me.

I have the factory fit inner bags inside the hard cases so the cases stay attached and I just remove the inner bags full of gear when I stop for the night.

Luckily my helmet fits in my side case, if it didn't I would just juggle my things between the top and side cases to allow me to put my lid in the top case.

D.E.D.

6. Economist

Economist New Member

United States
    Map
    The Honda tail hard case really costs about $1,000 once you figure in the costs of the required luggage rails, the required adapter plate, and the lock hardware. I would really like one, but a thousand dollars is a bitter pill to swallow.

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    One solution is to move to one of the states that do not require wearing of crash helmets. This from a Harley forum.