Help me decide!

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by Boatdetective, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boatdetective

Boatdetective New Member

Hello there- I'm new here and am trying to see if a new gen VFR is right for me. I've had a number of Guzzis (currently own a 1200 sport). I also have a like new Aprilia Shiver. Both are great bikes. The Guzzi is more relaxed on the highway and the Shiver is more nimble around town. I'd like to see if one bike would do both. At the same time- a little more wind protection on the highway would be nice. I'm really looking for a sport tourer that will not be as massive as, say, an FJR1300.

I've always had great respect for Big Red and have been drawn to the VFR. The new model is a real looker and seems pleasantly slim. The ergos may be a bit too "committed" for me- but I assume you all have figured out some bar options that relax things a bit. I do like to lean forward on the highway- but live in a congested area so must deal with some stop and go traffic. Oh yeah- I also want something with good suspension. I'd rather trade horsepower for excellent compliance and handling.

What are the long term thoughts on the new gen VFR? The left overs seem to be very attractively priced. Is this a sign that they are not living up to the reputation? Is Honda backing up the model- or is it going to be pulled?

Thank you for your candid replies!

Jonathan

2. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Most of the deals I have seen have been for the standard model. I bought a slightly used Deluxe in Dec 14 and have put over 10k miles on it myself. I had a 2003 gen 6 before, and find a world of improvement in all aspects. I put Motopumps thinner risers on and got a set of Knight Design lowering pegs. Being ancient and 6' , stock pegs were a little too aggresive for me. All around great bike.

3. 01ragtop

01ragtop Member

United States
    Map
    I have a cruiser and a zx7r as well as the VFR. The VFR is more comfortable than either one in terms of the riding position. The seat is just okay for me, but many seem to like it. Stock tires suck, so don't judge handling on those. Suspension isn't great, but isn't horrible either. I plan to replace the shock and have forks revalved and sprung at the same time I do the first valve check which is only 5000 mIles away now. Overall, I love this bike and I've used it for daily commuting duty, road trips, and surprising the sport bikes in the twisties.

4. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Awe.. welcome to the world of VFR nut cases ;) JK

Your question could actually be self answered by taking one for a spin, every bike has it's achilles heel. but the new vfr seems so far to be pretty damn good, less personal touches. Is there a bike right off the shelve that works perfect for whom ? Hell no. but this one is damn close IMO. Like VFRs of the past, this one is a great do everything machine.
    I took one for a spin thinking ok Honda, maybe this time around you got it right. well they almost did, big step this time in the right direction, thing is/was the price. Not sure what version of a test market study they did, Opps! and they felt it. So to save there asses they dropped the prices to what they should have been in the first place.
    My ride around told me this version is so Acura vs. Honda, it's more about the little details. Engine is so refine hard to tell it's even working, no Vtec weirdness what so ever. They got rid of those god for saking linked brakes too. Yes the suspension was up graded too (deluxe model) , IMO it could have gone a couple more steps up, but at least it's in the right direction. and from what I know even the electrical gremlins seem to have disappeared.
    My concern at the time which was right after they came out, was for me knowing what the VFR is about and where it's been, the biggest competition was with its own 5th gen. for those that where in the know. Again for the money at the time was a huge deal.
    All things being, I did ponder the purchase for quite awhile, then I ended up with a gem of a 5th gen. But had these VFRs been priced as they are today, more than likely I would have pulled the trigger.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  5. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Regarding the attractive prices, one of my favorite quotes sums it up: "It's strange that a motorcycle praised so highly is simultaneously known to be such niche bike that even the most ardent devotee isn't willing to buy one unless they can get it for a deep cut under it's "book" value."

I do a 50/50 mix of city and freeway riding. The bike works great for me. Take the front sprocket -1 or the rear +2 and you can reduce the excessive clutch use at the stoplights.

I think you have a good feel for the bikes and you are right in that the VFR would work great for you.

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    WTF is excessive clutch use?

My favorite quote of the last minute or two is:

"Lusus cum pecunia mutua sumpta tibi ludendus est."

One of the few I really dig that was not made up by some old Chinese guy.

7. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    Well, I just flatout love my 6th gen, and the 8th gen is basically the same bike with incremental improvements. I'd suggest going for it, these bikes are just unbeatable in terms of versatility and reliability.

8. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    dafuq? Care to elaborate on that? You can rev match clutchless to downshift if you really want regardless of the number of sprocket teeth.

Maybe you want a Hondamatic instead?

9. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    Think he is on about the sequence of going up a few gear in between sets of lights as opposed to say one, if you alter the gearing.

10. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    The VFR is already geared tall. 1st is good to like 85 or something before redline. You don't want to shift, buy a scooter.

11. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    That explanation doesn't make sense. If you gear short as he says to, you're decreasing the amount of time you can stay in any given gear before you need to upshift. Any given speed will have a higher RPM.

Only thing I can figure is in stop and go where you might be feathering the clutch. you could leave in engaged in first, but then I wouldn't want my VFR going 2 mph at 4K RPM in summer heat so.... and if it's truly stop and go I'm going to be clicking to N regardless.

12. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    V4toTour,

Sport bike gearing is a sizable compromise that allows us to tool around town or go 140 mph. You have the ability to change your sprockets easily in order to modify that compromise to your liking! Going down -1 teeth in the front sprocket has generated an ideal clutch engagement for me off the line. The need to be in the friction zone has practically disappeared. What a fantastic response this has in the city, and you should try it some time if you have never tried it. Warning, if you do like to go very fast, this is going to once again, compromise the high end.

Note, this never adds "more power" to the bike, although that is a common myth. Changing sprockets simply moves the RPM of the engine to a different speed range.

Note that efficiency (miles per gallon) is a function of throttle position and time. So if you do a lot of city riding then getting the RPMs up fast off the line can actually improve efficiency vs. a lot more time spent slipping the clutch.

I never shift clutchless. This wears the dogs on the tranny gears. While many like it, this method lost the risk analysis battle with me.

I am unfamiliar with a "Hondamatic" but am familiar with the dual clutches in the VFR1200. No, I cannot see riding one of those. That sounds like a downright awful experience.

13. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    With all due respect this comment makes no sense. My proposal of shorter gearing requires more shifting in the city than the stock gearing.

The original poster mentioned he is looking for a machine that is a great balance around town and on the freeway. My shorter gearing suggestion is an extremely common one to provide an improvement in that area.

I am somewhat surprised that you have never heard of this. But that's okay, we're all here to provide suggestions for each other.

14. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    you just repeated everything ad nauseam. So, basically you're still grabbing for the clutch the same amount of times when coming to a crawl at stoplights. The need to be in the friction zone? Yes, to a point shorter gearing will get the bike rolling with less clutch slip needed, but your supposed time spent issue was a probably from a lack of effective throttle control.

edit: I also see you admitted your method will actually cause MORE clutch use around town.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  15. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I know having read it back :distracted:. Then neither did the post I was referring to.:smug:

gearing -1 +2 will increase revs in 1st gear by 700 revs at 30mph and by 500 in 2nd this is using the crossrunner gearing as vfr not available.

Will disagree about the clutchless shifts causing excess wear tho.

16. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    With all due respect, if you do not understand being in the friction zone less off the line with shorter gearing, then there is nothing anyone here can say to help you understand. You'll just have to get on a motorcycle and figure it out for yourself.

17. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    see my revised above post before you made your reply.

18. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Clutchless upshifting is super easy and will feel seamless when done right.

19. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    I clearly read it. You said "...more clutch use."

I am not talking about the number of shifts. There is less time in the friction zone off the line with shorter gearing. There is more time in the friction zone off the line with taller gearing. That is the concept. Do you understand the concept?

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    A 100 peso note says Knight bought his bike (if it even exists) with the "ideal" gearing and another 100 says he got burned on the initial buy and he ain't much of a rider to boot. The dude is a paper shuffler.

Might be fun to poll to see if anyone short of SOW would want to go riding with the dude or even spend ten minutes with him. Then again it could prove in just minutes there is a friction zone..