Wanted Help, Need 86 VFR 750 Starter Clutch - its discontinued

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by vfrMatt86, Aug 5, 2021.

1. vfrMatt86

vfrMatt86 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I had intermittent starter issues which lead me to investigate my starter clutch, which was cracked in 2 places.

I'm looking for a starter clutch part no. 28120-ML7-000 which has 2 pulse triggers 180deg from each other.

If anyone has one that isn't damaged I'd very much like to get my bike back on the road.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  2. Brian Rodgers

Brian Rodgers New Member

United States
    Map
    First thought: maybe a V45 or V65 clutch would work?
    Second thought: machine a new one at the local machine shop.

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    First thought: No

Second thought: If the pieces come apart nicely to use the new machined part and re-assemble, you can likely then use the next Gen machined guts at a FRACTION of the cost.

vfrMatt: please do some destructive exploration after your bike is up and running again and let's see how this thing is held together for the next 10 people.

4. vfrMatt86

vfrMatt86 New Member

Canada
    Map
    Already done.

The starter clutch is comprised of 2 pieces. The inner piece which is a cast center hub.... and that's the piece that cracks.

Secondly, the outer piece is just a piece of sheet metal that's been pressed around the inner hub. The inner hub has a slight bevel to it on it's outer edge and the sheet metal is pressed around said bevel to create a sort of lip to encapsulate it.

That's the only thing holding the two pieces together.

The starter clutch from a 87-97 VFR 750 has the same center hub and can be harvested if you could find some way to remove the outer steel carrier and then get it wrapped around the new center hub.

You could pry it out and then peen it back. Or you could cut the steel carrier and then re-weld it.

The difference between the 86 starter clutch and the 87-97 starter clutches is the timing pulse trigger tabs. The 86 is analog and only has two.. 180deg from each other while the 87-97 are more advanced and the starter clutch outer carrier has many more pulse trigger tabs. Running that outer carrier in the 86 causes a no-run situation where the bike just back fires as the firing order isn't correct.

So all the solutions that I came up with were...

1. Buy a readily available 87-97 starter clutch then remove center hub and find someway to get the 86 analog steel carrier wrapped around it securely and hope it holds.

2. Weld the cracks in your existing broken 86 starter clutch and hope it holds.

3. Find someway to upgrade the electric hardware in the 86 away from the analog system. So... pulse triggers sensors, wiring, ecu, maybe more? I dunno :shrug:

4. Fall upon the mercy of the community in hopes that some kind soul will separate themselves from their parts stash.

5. Buy a parts bike in hopes the starter clutch isn't broken in it.

6. Shave down the 87-97 starter pulse trigger tabs and then weld two in the positions of the 86 starter clutch.......and hope it holds.

Machining a new center hub piece would not be cost effective imho as it can be sourced for approx $200USD

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  5. vfrMatt86

vfrMatt86 New Member

Canada
    Map