Help with a motor measurement please..

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by ccrunner, Dec 4, 2017.

1. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    I'm hoping you guys can give me the height of the engine in inches?

Specifically, from the bottom of the oil pan to the top of the airbox.. I know it's tough to be accurate on this with the tank and plastics on, but even a ballpark with a tapemeasure would be helpful and much appreciated..

thanks

-ccrunner

2. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    Anybody able to do this? I'm thinking it's about 25"(?)- could you run a tape down the side of your bike and eyeball it and see if I'm ballpark close?

thanks-

ccrunner

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Surely someone here has a fifth gen they can run out and take a measurement for what I assume is a 5th Gen for ccrunner to help him out with whatever he is doing. ccrunner. You didn't specifically say what gen your bike is but as it is posted in the 5th gen forums, I made the assumption that is what it was. What are you doing of you don't mind sharing?

4. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I have a 5 Gen motor that is out of the bike so I can get that measurement but probably not until Saturday. I'll not have access to it until I get back.

34468 Randy likes this.
  5. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    I appreciate the help guys.. I'm definitely working with a fifth gen.. I'm hoping the tape says 26" or less on total height..

I'm planning my next BEC (bike engine car) build.. I'm looking to source a 50's microcar, and stuff a 5th gen motor under the hood/cowl.. I'm in process of getting measurements and donor parts (incidentally I'm still looking for a 5th gen engine/harness with all ancillaries- hoping to find a wrecked bike)..

I've gone this 5th gen/microcar route in the past with some success; this time I'm sourcing a different car type entirely, and seeking a higher HP-to-weight ratio, while sticking with the vfr800 (non v-tec) gear driven platform.. as you guys know, this motor is a little sweetie... plenty of hp, not peaky, a long, flat, fat torque curve, and a song that makes me giggle like a little girl..

thanks again-

ccrunner

OOTV likes this.
  6. Darth Vader

Darth Vader New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    I've got my bike in bits for some winter maintenance so it's a quite accurate 26 inches from sump to Airbox.

OOTV likes this.
  7. ccrunner

ccrunner New Member

United States
    Thank you Darth for taking the time to get me this much needed info-- super helpful!

thanks guys-

--ccrunner