Highways across southern KS

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by RRJV, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    We have considered moving from NE Ohio to eastern Kansas. I am only getting scraps of information here, but I detect, dirt roads and high heat. I appreciate any more detail you would like to throw in on how Kansas affects you as a motorcyclist.

2. bruteforce

bruteforce New Member

Basically, Kansas is a really boring ride. All roads here a straight and flat. That's why others are saying to get through it as quickly as possible.

3. LookingHard

LookingHard New Member

United States

V4toTour,

You are correct that it will not help plan a long distance trip but I was pointing it out as a way to search for good roads in a given area. Perhaps I should have
    mentioned that.

LookingHard

4. RRJV

RRJV New Member

United States
    Map
    I haven't ever had so much fun on a bike, minus the ride home...My buddy's shadow ran low on oil and took a dive in Flagler. Still runs, but will be tearing it apart soon.
    I had never laughed out loud while going around a corner, just because it was so fun. I think that was Wolf Pass, the first big one we hit up on the way to Durango and Silverton. Silverton was without a doubt, my favorite town. Went on to Gunnison, CO Springs, and then Morrison, Golden, and then home. Tried pikes peak and they had it shut down due to rainy weather, so we hit it up on the following day. Fantastic weather and riding. 99% of the guys we saw were on Harleys, and many, if not most were lacking of gear :( . I even saw guys riding up Pikes Peak in cut-off shirts and no helmet haha.
    I highly recommend a trip to CO on a bike. I went in a car about three weeks ago (first time out there) and had to come back on the bike. It's 110% more fun, fulfilling, and rich on a bike. We used Sena headsets, and that was a priceless investment. Ran a Prism camera, but the battery life is pretty poor, so I had it die on me before I could get any Million Dollar Highway footage. Air Hawk seat pad saved my rear, totally worth the $.
    Anyway, great trip, and I'll be back.

5. bruteforce

bruteforce New Member

Awesome information man

6. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like a great time. You really have to work at it to not enjoy riding in Colorado.

7. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like a great trip minus your friends oil problems.
    First and last time I went to Colorado was back in 85. Had such a great time on my then one year old Interceptor, remember going with a bunch of my friends buddies to a wet tshirts contest, but before was treated to white lighting. ...memory was alittle blurry after that.....but thoroughly enjoyed riding through Colorado.
    I'll be there within 5 years to retire.
    This last trip with OOTV to Laguna with the Scala cardo was awesome, not just chatting but music...made the trip

8. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

HWY160 and HWY400 are the way to go. I'm sure you've looked it will put you right into La Junta, CO and then to Pueblo, CO.
    I live in Wichita, KS.
    What everyone has said on here is true. But hey, when you have to live and ride here you have to find the beauty and fun in the little things.
    BUT...be prepared for nasty feed lot smells once you pass Pratt and head on to Dodge City and Garden City.
    Hopefully it won't be too bad if the temps are on the cooler side.
    Yes...avoid HWY50 at all costs. Really, that highway is horrible in terms of safety...especially the Newton to Emporia leg.

This was way late...my apologies. Glad you survived the trip! At least you didn't get stuck here! LOL