Honda boss says new V4 will be ‘a new breed of bike' - VFR1200ST or Super DN-01 ?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by John451, Jun 20, 2009.

1. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Totally awesome, I can only imagine how things would be if we stayed stuck in 2001. Technolgy is the modern natural selection. Evolve or get left behind. The new V4 should be very interesting.

2. vfrcapn

vfrcapn Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds like one bike being released now, probably not replacing the VFR, which will stay as is.

"The bike is different to the concept shown for the first time at Milan in 2009 but the link between them is very clear to see.”

So something along the sportbike line, not touring. Electronic shift, throttle and/or brake by wire, ABS, variable intake length and valve activation. Anything else? Fine by me but don't make it a 1200.

3. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

"CLUTCH-CHALLENGED" - DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Stay in your cage and stay away from me!!!!!

4. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

Sounds like it's going to be sport-TOURING bike with electro-gizmos all over. Seems to me like it'll be similar to the FJR and BMW's in creature comforts and gizmos.

I just hope to high hell they stay away from automatics....BLAH!!!

As soon as you take physical shifting away from the driver the soul of the bike begins to disappear if you ask me.

Could start up a thread on what people think about the use of paddle-style shifters in high end cars these days... What's better ...technology or nostalgia?

5. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I wouldn't miss out on riding with my friends just because they drive a *gasp* automatic. :crazy:

6. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

If there is a physical inability or handicap to using the clutch then, it's cool.

But if you can't handle the mental operation of the clutch how the hell can you deal with any other mental complications of riding a motorcycle and dealing with everyday traffic and obstacles??!!??!!??!!??!!???????

7. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    The woman is an excellent rider. She is a safe rider and pilots her bike just fine. I would ride with her anywhere.

And what's up with all this clutch snobbery?

8. jev.

jev. over there

United States
    I wonder how many of us think about the clutch after getting used to it. I NEVER think about how I'm using the clutch or how better to do it. After a little experience it becomes automatic to clutch anything you ride/drive. I do not equate a good rider on their ability to use a clutch. I've ridden the FJR-AE and I do not think my riding ability was lowered by not using the clutch. Just like I don't think I'm a better driver because I can drive both auto and manual cars, I don't think being able to ride both types of bikes makes me any better either. In fact, you could argue that riding an automatic bike lets you concentrate more on your riding skills because it offers one less distraction for new riders. That being said, I like the DN-01 and if money were not a problem for me, I probably would consider buying one. And to get back on topic, I can not wait to see what Honda is going to reveal and am expecting great things to come in their V4 development.

9. xeipher

xeipher New Member

I wonder how many on this forum use cars with automatic shifting. Don't understand the DN-01 bashing. Each to his own.

10. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

1) I'll believe this new V4 exists when I can actually see a real live one.

2) The DN-01 is a joke. Period. End of Story. If this is Honda's future, then I am ashamed to say I'm a Honda enthusiast at this point.

3) I agree with the Soundmaster. If you can't get the hang of dealing with a clutch, you probably should take up a safer hobby. I mean seriously, "she's a safe rider and pilots her bike just fine", but can't figure out how to coordinate her 2 hands with her 2 feet? I'm not buying it.

4) Our GTI is a manual. My wife refused to even sit in, let alone test drive the automatic. My F-150 is an automatic simply because not a single OEM makes a 1/2 ton V8 truck with a manual. I am actively searching for a 01 or 02 Dodge 2500 CTD with the manual. The search is not going well as it would be easier to find a conservative at an Obama pool party.

KC-10 FE out...
    :plane: :usa2:

11. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Mines a manual out of my last 6 cars only 1 was an auto.

After peak oil hits hard could see a future DN-01 desendant being electric only and used to get you in and out of the City quietly and efficiently for people who want a comfortable easy to ride and park form of personal transport. Those who are attracted to Scooters and small cars as a form of cheep transport might well be tempted to change to that future electric DN-01 but as I like the sharp tactile feel of my motorcycle and see each trip for fun or to work as a mini adventure. Unfortunately a dummed down 2 wheeled transport like the DN-01 would not likely fill my need with that kind of joy.

12. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

Amen!!!! Go tell it on the mountain! Mega, Former Special Forces Sniper DITTOS! :thumbsup:,, shit, I think you you woke the voices....

13. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

Ha, my buddy just sold his 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD manual in Black a couple months ago to upgrade to a 3500. Maybe it's a NJ thing? Nah, manuals are hard to find this day especially ones that aren't fleet vehicles.

As far as owning a car with a manual transmission...I don't. However, my old work truck had a 13 speed Eaton in it. :thumbsup: Double clutchin like a mofo lol.

14. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    That's why I had a Dakota.:biggrin:
    Short bed regular cab, the truck barely weighed 3000 lbs.
    but, it had a 5.2 liter v8 and a 5 speed!
    The first three gears could easily be put up in smoke:eek:

15. xeipher

xeipher New Member

I was trying to say don't hate/bash the rider. Whatever be ones shortcoming, if they cant coordinate the two levers and the two foot pedals they cant.

Most members in this forum love their bikes. Be it Gen 1 to 6. Most would not trade it for the world. Such being the case companies like Honda need to pull in new customers. For those who want to step up from a scooter, looks like the DN-01 fits the bill almost. Except for the damn price tag, that is where things go nuts 15K+

Looks to me that motorcycle companies are doing their very best to make their bikes as safe as possible. Linked brakes, ABS, air bags (Goldwings) and now automatics. I guess they want to dispel the notion that motorcycles are dangerous or less dangerous than before. Get more public into the community. Not sure though what sort of mayhem will ensue with oversimplification of riding.

16. soundmaster31

soundmaster31 New Member

You sure it wasn't the 5.9L R/T ???

17. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    yep im possitive. i put almost 100 thosand miles on that beast, with no problems. it was a 94' (before the R/T) 318 c.u 5.2 liter v8, MPI multi port injection.
    besides you couldnt get a 5 speed with te 5.9. only slush boxes...:frown:
    the 360 cu engine was only slight bump in bore & stroke.
    there was no upgraded heads/cams, throttle bodies or anything.
    basically about the same horsepower just more torque... and i didnt need anymore of that lol.

18. John451

John451 Member

Australia
  19. Fazer1Sniper

Fazer1Sniper New Member

John451, I excited & scared to death at the same time..... it like prom nite all over again.

20. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Say goodbye to the best lighting in the game... We're going from four headlights, down to two, like everyone else? wtf?