Honda to make a new road going v4

Discussion in 'VFR in the News' started by Thumbs, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

Nah that's the REAL one, we are talking about a road/homologation model based on the RCV's engine, probably different frame etc.

Many have said no, but they don't realise that the VFR800, engine was derived from the RC45's. The crank cases are interchangable once the VFR's swingarm pivot is ground off. The internals are changed slightly, with cheaper steel rods & lengthened stroke, plus the heads had PAIR system added, other than that the heads & head parts are interchangable, but VFR cams has less duration and overlap as they are modified to work best in the 50-75% Rev range.

So Honda has reworked there exotic into everyday in the past. So maybe this RVF1000 will come about, but don't expect change from 30K+ which is still cheap compared t the RCV213S ;(

2. ridnout

ridnout New Member

United States
    Skipped from page one to this end. I would definitely hope one would come available, although I think it's a tease.

Anyway, Japanese manufacturers aren't the only copycats. The RX-7 was based upon the performance of a 944 (even a book about it, 2nd gen I believe produced by Mazda). Get this, the first Porsche Boxster was based upon the Mazda MX-6! Some German technology watch group including Mercedes and Porsche even hailed the 2.5L KLZE (KLDE) and it's 1.8L variant the smoothest small displacement V-6 on the planet giving Mazda an award. Both vehicles are so similar in fact, that they have the same coefficient of drag, frontal area, 2.5L 6-cylinder engines, and the same gear ratios plus similar styling! The only thing is that the Boxster sports a mid-engine setup with less potential under the hood because of those liners used (and bad reliability to boot). It took gobs of money to mod to get similar performance from a modded KLZE; however, the MX-6 is plagued with front wheel drive (as Cadillac found out at about 260 to 280HP). On a side note, it did not prevent it from capturing the several SCCA solo championships every year of its production.

Just saying.

3. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Honda hasn't built anything cool for at least 10 years. Fug em.

The best bikes are coming from Europe and GB now days.

4. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Huh? What? Nope. Surely you're talking about Porsche being inspired by the *MX-5* to design the Boxster...

Of course, the MX-5 was based on the MG Midget/Lotus Elan etc. And, Porsche built the 550 Spyder--a true progenitor of the Boxster--in the '50s.

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    "The RX-7 was based upon the performance of a 944."

Now there's a stretch or somebody did an engine swap while nobody was looking..

Probably some wankelwagger.

6. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Rick Moranis invented the Wankel engine. Ask Steve Martin. lol
    Know that one?

7. Badbilly

United States
    No Sir! Missed that one.. Is lil gator Moranis in disguise? I am one wild and crazy guy..;)

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    It was from the comedy they did together, My Blue Heaven. Steve Martin (a mobster from NYC) tells his family that Moranis (FBI agent) was the inventor of the Wankel engine. Lots of funny lines in that movie.

9. Badbilly

United States
  10. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    No doubt; truly a giant step forward for car racing. I have a lot of seat-time in this '63:
    WP_20140119_003.jpg

Not quick or fast, but those aspects are the best things about it. You have to work it to keep up, so you feel like you're really doing something. You're really movin' at 80-85; and taking 40 mph corners at 55 is work. It's why I'm gravitating toward vintage stuff.

11. Badbilly

United States
    I had a 55 Speedster. Won it playing poker. Lots of fun in a crosswind.. Right! Another of those cars that "I" never should have sold..Swapped that one out for a Cad-Allard. Had a Cad flathead innit.

Early street type Porsches were not that fast. The racecars were.. The newer street types go like hell..

My dream car is a 56 MB Gullwing. I would even take one without the matching luggage if only Bill Gates would take up my cause..;)

12. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    Jesus H, you had an Allard? Truly awesome. *Very* valulable now--like Speedsters! There was 6-7 Allards at last year's Monterey Classic Reunion; and someone is making killer reproductions now.
    1200px-1951_Allard_J2_Knebworth_OldtimerFest_August_2010.jpg

When I was around 4-5, my dad had a Roadster--I remember it, too.
    127cf8f7cea1a57c45a04ef8daf8acb0.jpg

Finally, a 300SL race car I shot at Laguna Seca last year:
    20160820_083815.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  13. GatorGreg

GatorGreg Honda Fanboy/LitiGator

United States
    Map
    You don't think this is cool?

[​IMG]

Or if that's too expensive, how about one of these?

[​IMG]

And if that's still too expensive - how about this for only $7,000 or whatever they're going for now :glee:

[video=youtube;x8VII4MlBpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8VII4MlBpw[/video]

14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    GG I know your a Honda fan boy but they have been sitting on their laurels for a long time.

15. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    Have you seen this? I won't spoil this one by saying who wins :witless:

[video=youtube;SJFszDt8ouo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJFszDt8ouo[/video]

16. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Yes I have seen it. They finally have decent electronics. Big giant Red moves very slow these days. When and if they ever come out with a V4 at a reasonable cost then were talking.

17. ksoholm

ksoholm New Member

United States
    There's no question Honda's focus during the last 15 years has been on profitable people movers over innovative, ground-breaking machines. This follows Honda automotive and especially Toyota during the last 15-20 years, too. Nothing but blah, well-put together people movers. This is good business; better to sell 3 million simple scooters than 20,000 labor-intensive sportbikes.

Honda was on a tear during the '80s and '90s: CB1100R & F; VF750F and progeny, which exploded the sport bike scene; VFR750F, which created the modern sport-tourer; CBR600 and CBR1000 Hurricanes, both ground-breaking; NT650 Hawk, which presaged light sporty twins by a decade; CBR900RR, which shattered the liter-bike superbike class; the wild NR750; and the 5th Gen VFR800, which was the last, truly great, sport-tourer before class bloat and too much power set in (see Kawasaki Concourse, BMW K1600GT, et al), and the class's eventual death by ADV.

Nothing earth-shattering since.

18. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Top to bottom...

Unattainable

Re hashed 12 year old design

Re hashed 15 year old design, heavier, more electronic crap, no more capable than a good 99 model.

Like l said, the coolest stuff is coming out of Europe, right now.

19. GatorGreg

United States
    Map
    And yet MCN included the '17 VFR in a brand new comparo (see my new thread on same) against the latest new "cool" machine from Europe, the Ducati SuperSport, and held it's own! And the '17 1000RR just BEAT the BMW, Aprilia, and Ducati (not to mention the Yamaha, Kawi and Suzuki too) in another brand new comparo I posted just above! And whether you can attain it or not, the RC213V-S is arguably the "coolest" street-legal motorcycle EVER MADE!!!

And by the way, I think you place far too much emphasis on being "cool", what about factors such as reliability, fuel efficiency, handling, power, ergonomics, etc, etc, etc.?

I think you owe Big Red a big apology :glee:

20. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Pretty spot on.
    Magazines will blow smoke up any of the bike manufactures ass, advertising pays the bills. I do find not quite the same bias with some of the European mags though. Just bought a few at the book store, expensive but good writing sometimes.