Hot rear wheel and hub

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by gav-saunders, Jul 22, 2014.

1. gav-saunders

gav-saunders New Member

Map
    Hi, I have not been riding long so am still learning:disturbed:

I had the thermostat renewed (stuck open) on my 2003 vtec and adjusted the chain at the weekend.

I have just been out and rode about 50 miles with the bike feeling a little odd, I can only explain it as feeling a bit twitchy at the back.

When I got back I felt the wheels, discs and rear hub. The discs and front wheel felt cool but the rear wheel and hub where quite hot.

Is this normal with the bike? could the chain be too tight or do I need to be thinking about bearings? The chain feels ok and doesn't 'bottom out', I can't feel any sideways movement in the wheel either when it is on the centre stand

Appreciate any help, it felt a little unnerving today.

Thanks

2. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    the ride feeling you're describing sounds like tire pressure issue. However a hot hub is never a good thing. maybe time to tear it down and have a look.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Ya. Sounds like a soft tire. But I don't see that causing hot hub. How tight did you adjust that chain? There should only be about 3/4" of slack. I can see a tight chain possibly causing that issue.

4. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    What exactly do you mean by "doesn't 'bottom out'"? Do you mean you can't push it up to touch the lower part of the swing arm?

5. NormK

NormK New Member

Remember go over a bump, swing arm comes up and tightens the chain, it can give a snappy feel

6. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Does your bike roll easily whilst in neutral? If not your rear brake might be dragging.

If what you observe is a condition that did not exist before the dealer service. Take the bike back and have a chat with the service manager or best the mechanic who worked on the bike.

Having a PDF of the shop manual is a good idea too. Many are available free.

7. 2006 Interceptor

2006 Interceptor New Member

I say double check the chain. If too tight, it'll out unnecessary strain on the transmission every time your suspension compresses in addition to the heat.

Good luck

8. gav-saunders

gav-saunders New Member

Map
    Thanks everyone, still struggling with this one

The tyre pressure is correct and the chain seems OK as in it has around 3/4" of free play.

What I meant by 'doesn't bottom out' is that it doesn't seem to be getting too tight over bumps, giving the snatchy feel

All disks are cool after a run so i don't think it's the brakes dragging, does the hub normally get hot - as in hotter than the rear tyre after a ride?

Thanks for the replies

9. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    3/4 is a bit tight, I believe the chain slack should be 1" to 1 3/8"
    Chain slack.jpg
    The hub can be warm from the engine heat. Is it hot that you cannot touch? :noidea:

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Do you have a centre stand? Service stand? If so, get the rear wheel off the ground and see how it spins. Chain should have some slack, too loose is better than too tight btw. Any funny sounds? I have seen tyres eat chain guards before.

Disks get hot, end of story, especially if your using them, fact that your front binders were cool to the touch and the rear rhat otor/hub assembly was hot is strange. You could have a siezed piston that is not retracting or something else. Only way to find out is to get the rear wheel of the ground. That my two cents, good luck.

11. Badbilly

United States
    Take the bloody thing back to the dealer.

Or you could try some frame sliders and Slick 50 mixed with Vaselene. (The universal motorcycle cure all)

12. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    BB dont scare another one away.....go to the corner..time out

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

13. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    Is the hub hotter than the rim? Possible wheel bearing?

14. Badbilly

United States
    So when did you start signing the checks, get elected hall monitor or subscribe to the Dr. Spock leaflet on bad children?

The guy has a legit question. He says he is a new rider. He says the bike was serviced by a dealer for an unrelated reason (sort of) A thermostat replacement and though not clear, maybe a chain adjustment. Assuming this hot hub problem only started after the dealer service and assuming that the dealer is aware the guy is a new rider, IMO, if he messes aboot with the bike the dealer will be able to present the case that the guy is at fault and the dealer is as pure as new snow in the Arctic. Aside from maybe some penguin shit..

I also doubt our UK friend is a pussy and will run and hide from BB. Ya have to remember these Brits are the dudes from "The Charge of the Light Brigade" and maybe even related to James Bond.

Bottom line dude, what do you think he should do? I know!! Explain the joke..or I can explain it then you can try it.

15. gav-saunders

gav-saunders New Member

Map
    Thanks everyone.

After clearing the dealers air lock, I found the bearing's were damaged, replaced them and bike is running great.

Thanks for your replies.

16. Badbilly

United States
    Always good to find your bearings..;)

17. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Glad you got it fix :thumb:
    Wonder how the bearing fail so soon :noidea:

18. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I have heard they never go bad, I have an entire replacement set up though. No plans on using them for my "Mach-1" or my "Mach 2" since you have to get medieval with them and use a press which presents a problem as I dont own one, but have access to one. Old adage, "if it aint broke, don't fix it" applies still.

Do time oots still work? I used to hate hall moniters and used to run in the other direction. This is when we used to play with Lincoln Logs and had black-white televisions.

19. Badbilly

United States
    They do work to a certain degree. I prefer parachute cord and duct tape as a medium. Hall monitors are snitches. No TV and we played with rocks and bugs.

Sidebar: I taught school for a year once.. Middle school. The halls between bells are a shining example of chaos gone bad.. but only when the Principal was walking the halls. It was like Moses and the Red Sea..

The little dudes were terrified. The Principal was a great guy, smart and funny and was an ex student at the school. We asked him how the hell he had them so under control.. Two things.. He was an ex US Army Psy-Ops Officer and he never spoke to them unless one was in his office.