How far can you go on a tank of gas? I run the VFR to empty to find out...

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by Skifreak, Jul 26, 2014.

1. RoninUnderground

RoninUnderground New Member

United States
    Map
    I got 51.5mpg a few weeks ago. I forget the total miles, but it was definitely over 220.

2. Skifreak

Skifreak New Member

United States
    Map
    Impressive. My right wrist is to heavy to get mpg that good.

3. RoninUnderground

United States
    Map
    Last tank I got 44mpg so... I certainly have that issue from time to time haha. If I had to guess my average over the last few thousand miles it'd be around 46-47, and I've been doing a lot of highway/interstate travel this summer. I'm riding to California in a couple weeks with the girlfriend and camping provisions. I'm estimating we can net at least 45mpg over the trip, which for ~3800 miles should put us under $350 for round trip fuel.

4. ws6transam

ws6transam New Member

United States
    Map
    I measured my fuel mileage to Indiana University and back, which was about 800 miles round-trip, and hit 47.9 MPG. There were some 240+ mile stretches between fill-ups on that trip. SO yeah, definitely sounds plausible

5. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I would think a 2006 would be one of the best vfr on gas as far as 800 go. It's got a 5.8 gal tank, I added two teeth 45 rear now but I don't think that will really cut into my milage too much and might actually help with loaded saddlebags especially in a head wind. I had saddlebags on in a headwind and sixth gear was barely useful-just not enough torque left, so added two gears might actually help then, I don't have to shift enough. I am happy today my French tractor is working again.:smileyfb::smileyfb::smileyfb::whoo::drums::flex:

6. RoninUnderground

United States
    Map
    We made the trip, hit a little over 50mpg a few times with about 53mpg peak. I checked fuel versus googlemaps miles because my odometer is giving me an extra 2-3%. Oh and that was 2 up with ~60lbs of gear.

7. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    We rode down to Arkansas running about 70-73 all the way and I got about 52 mpg and more of the same the next day. That's running a 45 tooth rear sprocket, so I was very happy with it. I checked the calibration of the bicycle computer and it was dead on according to the mile marker signs. Coming back running slower, I got worse mileage, around 49-50, go figure.

8. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    ...you had a headwind~

9. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    You know, now that I think about it I think there really was a headwind. I actually never even considered that.

10. VIFFER RIDER

VIFFER RIDER New Member

United States
    Map
    My 6th gen went 243miles to Vegas on 1 tank...i didn't die but im sure i didn't have much left. The 6th gen does however have slightly more gas at 5.8 Gal then a 5th gen.

11. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I bet I could get 250 miles out of a tank-but what fun would that be-the bike could do it but I couldn't ride that far without stopping any way-I am setting up a VFR 800 snow bike-I think its all ready all most there-just the tires is stopping it but not for long I only need a rear tire for winter riding-I probley get a new front too, I could a good list so far heated side panels and lower heat and heated grips ,ST wind screen, 45 rear sprocket 520 chain-adding speedo healer-just got that-scotts damper,. VFR 800 snow bike-oh 05-40 Castrol-I show you wimps up and BB too.

12. Aimbot9000

Aimbot9000 New Member

United States
    Map
    Get over yourself you're not the only one who rides in the winter or even snow and ice, you are however the only one here who can't reliably make it out of the driveway without crashing.

Back to the thread, I just got back from a 3k mile trip to Canada and was getting 46-48mpg most of the time with 2 hard saddlebags.

13. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    I regularly get over 200 miles per tank on my mostly stock 5th gen. I usually fill up around 210. I have gone over 220, but was very aware of where the next gas station was.

14. Markvfr800

Markvfr800 New Member

wow thats interesting, Did my sums recently on my 98, heavy riding mainly a 40mile round trip to work, the idle speed is a little high, slip on exhaust and pair mod on the bike------- I got 42.7 mpg, using 16.60 litres to cover 156 miles,, I find the guage on my bike goes from two bars to flashing one bar fairly quickly, looking into the tank it looks empty and I fill it up with 16/17 litres so I guess im not seeing all the fuel thats in there! I cant imagine id get the bike past 200 miles

15. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Bringing this one back ...

On my 4th fill of the year and averaging 36mpg. I can't help myself .... my right hand has tourettes.

Been riding around mostly with both my hard sided panniers and trunk, that and the extreme wind we've been having certainly hasn't helped either.

16. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    I got 308 miles on a tank run dry about 2 years ago, which equates to @ 56 mpg. Haven't done that well since. Fuelly says I get an average of 40.6 miles to gallon (average since I bought the bike 2 years ago) and it's directly related to how much I exercise the right wrist.

obviously, in the beginning I was being much more frugal....

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    That's it.. I'm dumping all my bikes and getting a scooter so I can do mileage arithmetic instead of having fun.

18. vfrfly

vfrfly New Member

I have not tried to push range on a tank yet. So far the longest ride between fill ups was just 337 kms of 2up, mostly hwy....and it took 17.4 liters to fill it up. If the tank size really is 21.5 liters, and lets be optomistic and assume 21 are useable. We still could have gone a long ways yet, and it was new, and as i said 2 up. If i am riding alone and now it has some more break in time i feel confident i could get 400 kms of hwy riding on a tank......but i always like to think ahead and know i can stop for gas between 250 and 350. If unsure of that in more remote areas i often i ride, i will gladly stop and top it off even if i know i have only used say 1/3 of the tank.

19. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    I logged 585 km's today driving to Grand Forks, ND to take in a bike show.

I logged a low of 31.7 MPG and a high of 42.7 MPG ... go into and with the wind. :)

20. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Breaking wind is important and fun.