How is your V-tech Transition?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Molsan, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Craig Wagner

Craig Wagner New Member

United States
    Map
    Agreed. Before I bought the bike I was worried about how I'd heard the transition was "abrupt." It's noticeable, but no more so than when my old YZF600R would hit about 7k and suddenly there'd be a bit of a power surge.

2. whenindoubt01

whenindoubt01 New Member

If my throttle is fully open and I'm coming up on the transition, yes its like a powerband on a dirt bike (which I personally love). When I'm hitting the twisty's my rpm is never lower than 7,500 to pull out of the corners with the torque I like.

3. Nungboy

Nungboy New Member

Map
    Mine is strong enough of a transition to be noticeable and fun but smooth enought not to be a problem. Lag? No lag at all.
    4 valves...no waiting.

4. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

I would love to do a track day with you wesley...you are buying right? you did say you would TAKE me to the track anyday, just want to make sure i'm reading that right.......gear your bike down one tooth and i would hazard a guess that it would suit your style. sorry to hear your bike is such a difficult beast.

5. Buckwheat

Buckwheat New Member

I watched Wesley J's youtube video (nice ride on a great road, BTW) and his transition is more pronounced than my '03. I only have my VFR for a little over a month and certainly haven't pushed the envelope too hard yet as I have been bikeless for about 10 yrs now.

I thought this comment from above sums up my VTEC transition pretty well.
    "I said this before,but if I were deaf, the dreaded V-TEC engagement would be much less dramatic, as it is mostly noise and the power curve ramps up smoothly and with silky forward thrust..."

So far the bike has been wonderful aside from the flat spot and clunky transmission. The latter being somewhat better now that I switched to 10W-40 instead of 10W-30 oil.

6. whenindoubt01

whenindoubt01 New Member

Sale it then. Be the exception of others!

7. Jessiah1

Jessiah1 New Member

LOL, there is nothing beastly about a VFR. Giving my 06 ZX10 gas in the turn even to half throttal makes the VTEC engagement seem like a cute little fart of power :biggrin:

8. whenindoubt01

whenindoubt01 New Member

That video shows he, her was a beginner wtf. LOL Never hit 11,500 in any places on the road. What a joke! I could do that drunk. But why? LOL boring. The power is 6700 rpm and above, its just that simple. I can't wait to go out and dog a bike that was meant for 6700 and above.
    LOL

9. whenindoubt01

whenindoubt01 New Member

Apples and oranges?

10. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

oh no, it is on now.........:vader:

11. whenindoubt01

whenindoubt01 New Member

How about the ZX14? BTW! I rode with a buddy who has one. He was impressed with the little VFR BTW. It's not what your on, its what you can handle while your on it. CAN YOU SAY LONG RUN??? I will give you 8 hours to try.

12. junktionfet

junktionfet New Member

Wes, how many miles are on your bike? Has it ever had a valve adjustment or service work performed? I suspect that perhaps mis-adjusted valves could produce an uncomfortable rift in the 8 valve and 16 valve powerbands. I don't know, I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Also, how is your suspension set up? The lack of adjustments on the front end (aside from preload) and limited adjustments for the back make the VFR a tricky bike to set up (IMO) for best handling. If it's too loose one way or another, it's bound to affect how stable she feels when VTEC is changing modes in the middle of a turn.

13. whenindoubt01

whenindoubt01 New Member

I think it would be interesting to know how many people here has road over some amount of time a dirt bike with a power band? Just seems like a few from what I have read.
    I know when its there and I want it when I make it there, no surprise to me, just total control of a engine that wants to breath. SIMPLE.

14. whenindoubt01

whenindoubt01 New Member

I call the latest VFR the oldmans sportbike BTW, and luv it.

15. tbone

tbone New Member

I just picked up an 02 with 2k miles on it and I can definatly feel the difference. Mine has a set of Mig pipes and that's all (I think). I believe the older the 6th Gen the more your going to feel it since the rpm's are higher when it kicks in. I've had my back tire break loose when it kicks in while in 1st gear and leaned over. To me if feels like a two stroke powerband and I love it.

That's my .02.

16. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Let's keep this factual. Let's talk about our own experiences on our own bikes and not speculate about others' experiences on their bikes, OK?

On my bike, custom tuning made a huge difference in smoothness. I have a 2004 with a BMC filter, pair valve block, PCIII with O2 eliminators and a Leo Vince exhaust. The dyno run with the Dynojet Staintune map I had been using showed a drop in power right before transition (about 6400 RPM), accentuating the VTEC "kick" at 6800 RPM. Not so good. So I took the bike to a tuning shop. Voila! The dyno chart with my custom map shows a perfectly flat air/fuel ratio all the way to redline and a slight increase in power from 6800 up. Very smooth now.

How many of you guys who don't like the transition have had the bike modded like mine and custom tuned?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008