How many older guys ride VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rexbaum, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Chicky

Chicky New Member

United States
    Map
    Huh, this thread has been around a while and I can't believe I haven't posted on it... unless I did, but forgot due to Alzheimers!! LOL!!

Well, I will be 44 tomorrow... it is a "ladies bike" as much as it is a "gentlemen's bike". Too bad none of you single guys are in Vegas... I'm sure we could have a good ole time on our VFRs!!

As for it being an "old person's bike". I regularly ride with some of the sportbike contingent here in Vegas... and in a group of 20 or more "crotch rockets", I'm usually 3rd or 4th with the rest no where in sight. I've let a few of these guys in their 20s and early 30s ride my bike, after I got to know them and see what kind of riders they are. There hasn't been one that hasn't gotten off the VFR without a huge smile on his face. They all say it's wayyyyyy different than they expected. I've gotten comments on the great balance, the ease of turning, the power... all of which surprises and impresses these guys... oh, and of course they say how much more comfortable it is than their bike.... :)

A couple years back, I rode with a group (including my boyfriend at the time) up to Utah for the weekend. I was pretty tired at the end of the day, but some of the guys wanted to go for an evening ride. I suggested my ex-bf take me on the back of my bike since he took his passenger pegs off his ZX-6. Two-up we were way ahead of the "young" guys on the 600s and 700s. We were both hanging off the seat in the turns (we've both done track days).

So, whoever says we're too old or the VFR is an "old person's bike", tell 'em to go shove it. They can't comment on anything unless they've experienced it.

2. byter22000

byter22000 New Member

46 here and still feel young :biggrin:

I just find the vfr allows me to cruise or go sport when I feel like it.

3. CharlesW

CharlesW New Member

And tomorrow is now today.
    Happy Birthday!:smile:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  4. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    Just wanted to add that I ride with a lot of guys that ride more aggressive sportbikes than the VFR. Yes, they are older than me. The group I ride with have GSX-R's, ZX-10's, Busa's, CBR's, R1's, R6's, Buel's... just about anything you can think of that would be considered a "young person's ride" they ride. I mostly ride the 954 these days.

5. JHG57

JHG57 New Member

Add another young 53er to the list.

6. wrestler

wrestler New Member

United States
    Map
    Here Here!!!!!!

7. zimstwenty

zimstwenty New Member

Forty two

Just added the 1999 VFR to the arsenal. 2002 KTM EXC300 for the rainy/cold days, and the 1982 Gpz1100 for when I want to ride straight lines really fast.

My first bike was a 1976 Goldwing GL1000 (bought it when I was 15, fixed it up, and sold it for a profit when I found the Gpz). Looks like I'm getting younger as the years go by....

8. Hitandrun

Hitandrun New Member

Who you callin' old !!?? 58 is the new 30.

9. Jimbo 48

Jimbo 48 New Member

I'm 62 and still enjoying my 02 vfr

10. gxrjocati

gxrjocati New Member

Map
    i ride and trackday a gxr 1000 and 1198s , i race a sv650 and i just started rebuilding my original 84 vf750 which also saw the racetrack back in the day , nifty at fifty

11. AussieLuke

AussieLuke New Member

Map
    hey there,
    you can use me as a bad example. 58 this year and just bought one at xmas.LOL

12. Deucegurl

Deucegurl New Member

How about a new "old timer"? Im picking up my first VFR on Friday and cant wait. Its an 07 RWB! Im 46 and my current ride is an 07 Street Glide. Hope its ok that an older gal highjacked your older guy thread. :redface:

13. Twitchy at times

Twitchy at times New Member

Map
    47 this June...not really feeling older yet. What is older? What signs should I look for? lol

14. splitpin

splitpin New Member

Im 49, and the VFR is my 1st bike in 15+ years......
    I gave up when I had kids, and now their older bikes are back!

15. pgafuture

pgafuture New Member

United States
    I'm 32, riding a 90 VFR as my second machine. 1st was a 94 CB 1000. LOVE my VFR, it's the greatest purchase I've made. Bike is only 11 years older than me.

16. jetdoc

jetdoc New Member

I am 60, riding an 07 vfr, I bought new in 09. I love it, previous bikes include, 02 750 nighthawk, loved it, should have kept it, 04 SV1000S, loved it, just couldn't stay on it anymore than about an hour, it killed my back! 07 M109R, ok bike, too many problems Suzuki wouldn't own up to, and I found out I wasn't a cruiser guy! The VFR is the perfect bike for me! I also have a 2000 Kawasaki W650, which is a very cool fun bike! I love it too! Much different to the vfr, but like a 650 Bonneville that doesn't real down or leak oil! I push both bikes pretty hard. I love to go fast! Tell your Wife, that so far I can keep up with the bike!
    Cheers
    John

17. rexmo1

rexmo1 New Member

Map
    I am 48 and after a 20 year break I just bought a nearly new '04, only 4200 miles!! Can't wait to start racking up the miles...

18. jetdoc

jetdoc New Member

I took a 12 year break after riding since I was 15 or so. That's when I bought the nighthawk in 02! I think you will love the vfr! They are a very good combination bike.

19. VFRGeek

VFRGeek New Member

Map
    Add another stubborn old fart in his 50's. I'm 56, been riding since I was a teenager, lost track of how many bikes I have owned - in my younger days I kept a street bike and a dirt bike, alternated replacing them once I got one paid off. Plan to keep riding as long as I can get a leg over the bike. Funny, I had to get to this age to appreciate the VFR - I am thoroughly smitten and expect this will be my ride for quite a while. Luckily I am married to a lady who understands that bikes keep me sane!

-VFRGeek

20. naphza

naphza New Member

Does your wife ride w you? I'm guessing not. My wife is petrified of bikes so I get to ride solo, which is my preference anyway. She too is very understanding of my need to ride to keep sane. You're still a youngster, I"m 64. Keep rubber side down.