How many older guys ride VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rexbaum, Nov 22, 2009.

1. dadsvfr

dadsvfr New Member

not so sure about vfr`s are not an old mans bike....my Dad just turned 77 and figured he was too old to ride and gave me his bike....at least he didn`t buy a Harley lol ....

2. Spiritron70

Spiritron70 New Member

Canada
    I'm 42 and I've been riding a vfr for 18 years and will probably never sell my '97, (finally found a 3rd gen rear wheel). She's not the only one who thinks this since where I live it seems after 30 you either ride a Harley, Wing or Beemer. I too am curious to see how many older guys ride VFR's. Just my two cents.

3. dogman

dogman New Member

Australia
    Map
    I am 64 and have had an 07 RWB since new. Last year I bought an HRC RWB CBR1000rr to keep it company.
    Youre never too old, IMO.

4. tiki01

tiki01 New Member

United States
    Map
    I'm 43 here AND the VFR750 I got around two months ago is my first bike ever so I can honestly say that it is the best bike I ever had! The thought has crossed my mind that I was making a big mistake and too old to be starting up this hobby but you guys prove that I got lots of good riding years ahead of me! Thank you.

5. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    Make no mistake tiki. No such thing as too old to start riding.

Jose

6. wshski

wshski New Member

United States
    I'm 61 years young and am enjoying my VFR 1200. Just put over 570 miles on it Sunday riding the mountains of Va & NC. Very nice day.

7. VFRPI

VFRPI New Member

46, have owned 750 Shadows to VTX 1800. Currently have an 06 Street Glide and purchased a 98 VFR last month. Riding depends on mood and destination. What's really cool is my wife now rides with me, as she has adopted the VFR as her very own (first street bike but she's a natural). We've been married 26 years and it gets better all the time! (Does that sound gay?) So, instead of leaving her, leave with her!

8. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map

9. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    The reason the ages very is because it takes everybody a different amount of time to get this smart!

10. ftl900

ftl900 New Member

Map
    I had the Top Gun model Ninja 900 for 10 years, then a Kawasaki ZRX1100 for 5 years, and now at 58 years old, I just bought a 2000 VFR800, and I'm loving it!

11. DrMacDaddy

DrMacDaddy New Member

United States
    Map
    I just turned 51, and 3 weeks ago was lucky enough to buy my very first VFR750F. It took me almost 4 years to find one in fantastic shape, and within 2-1/2 hours driving distance from my home. So, after handing over the cash and getting the title, keys, manual and helmet.....I had a nice ride all the way back to the Kansas City, KS, area. What a sweet ride,.....and the breakaway power was stunning. What a beautifully engineered bike. This bike will be by my side for countless years to come. It'd take an army to pry it from my hands. Ride on,....fellow Viffers,....ride on.

12. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    I think we need to clarify what is meant by "older guys".
    My opinion is that "older guys" would have to be over 75 or 80. Can't see the definition of "older" falling below that sort of number.

13. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    We still need to know if you are the lovechild of George Lucas then perhaps a definition will come about.

14. dougk35

dougk35 New Member

So I'm at my bike starting to put my gear on when a guy comes up and looks at my CBR600rr, (VFR at home resting) then looks at me, looks at the CBR, looks at me and asks how old I am. I tell him I'm 62, and he shakes his head. He tells me he can't believe a guy my age is still riding sport bikes and I should be on a cruiser. He then says he is now optimistic about geting older. Kinda made me feel good.

15. actungbaby

actungbaby New Member

am 49 next year so dont worry i feel confident as riding my vfr 750 better than when i was in my 20s
    Think age is just a number its your brain and turning a throttle isint that diffcult.
    I think getting back into bikes is best thing i done , my mother inlaw asked when was selling the bike
    I just thought yeah right (no way) i persoanlly think my vfr is better than dam anit depression tablets i was talking
    hehe

16. DrMacDaddy

DrMacDaddy New Member

United States
    Map
    I mentioned above that I'm 51, and have had my VFR (1st VFR) for about 3 weeks. On the day I bought the bike and pulled into my hometown, I filled the tank for a night cruise later in the evening. Sun is down....moon is up...my bike is started and warming up. My '93 is pearl white with black accents everywhere. I'm wearing white leather coat with black accents...white & black riding gloves....black riding jeans....black boots with white trim....and topped off with my black Nolan helmet with flip-up visor. After riding for an hour, I pull into the same gas station as earlier in the day. I pull up alongside a car with 2 twenty-something girls inside. When I shut off my bike,....I hear the car's driver say "Wow, that is one sexy bike....and you look damn good sitting on top of it". I just smiled back at her, and mentioned that I just got it...and loved riding it. With a smile back that I'm still grinning over, she said "Man,...I'd love it if you took me for a good ride tonight. When were finished....we can take your motorcycle out for a run". Not convinced my wife would be supportive of that, I thanked her and said maybe another time. That's the power of the VFR. It not only rides like a champion,...but it looks damn sexy while doing it. Does life get any better then this? :)

17. thx1138

thx1138 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Well my son is called Luke.

18. friedleyjr

friedleyjr New Member

I am 31 been on my vfr since 08. (TO ANSWER THE ORIGINAL QUESTION)

I think Tinkerin was just kidding, however I could be wrong............:potstir:

Older People (40+ as a rlue of thumb)(sh!t i am almost there) are able to ride anything they wish.

For all age groups the VFR is a perfect bike... fast(check) comfortable(check) affordable(check) Room on the back for the WIFEY(CHECK)(keeps her happy-keepsme riding)....... Sounds like the perfect bike to me

I work on HD's on my days off and the only thing I am certain about them is that they are for people wiith more money then I have. Every part on a Harley makes me giggle when I quote them a price.

"I will own this bike until I die. if not longer" --- ME:crazy:

19. gtofield

gtofield New Member

Im 51, this '06 VFR is the first bike I've owned. I rode a 2000 Kawi 750 for a couple of months, long enough to convince me that starting with a smaller bike would grow weary. Im getting pretty comfy with the VFR, and learning/turning some wrenches along the way. My only concession will be going back to the quieter stock pipes I think! Anyway, good feedback on this string, confirmation of my decision to go with this bike!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  20. PETE G

PETE G New Member

France
    Map
    I'm 60 and love my yellow 99Fix. If I ever try any other bike my wife tells me she won't be happy on anything else and that I must keep it. It's a hard life eh!