How many older guys ride VFR?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by rexbaum, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Sledrider

Sledrider New Member

Now this may seem to be some funny stuff at face value but trust me, it's serious. I have been very fortunate in that my wife has put up with bikes, a flat bottom open class drag boat (17.5' Cole winged T4) and things being a bit insane..lol However, it has been my experience in the last half century that women get on a kick about this stuff and all hell breaks loose. Yeah, this to the point it's either them or the bike, toy, whatever. So, I have witnessed the toys sold or her/him packin...lol I'm 60, married 41 of that and have no issues. I own 2 sportbikes and a Harley. The average age of the XX owner? 52... I have a friend (54) and she rides a 2003 Yamaha FZ1 so age and gender aren't a big deal. Your wife just needs to be educated because she is way wrong..... Good luck... You can show her that a 60 year old guy is riding these...............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

Mel Brooks: the 2000 year old man pt. 1 - YouTube

3. markcarolinemc

markcarolinemc New Member

Solon-20120722-00178.jpg

50 and countin' ... :cool:

4. MUMZ16

MUMZ16 New Member

i,m 46 and i make pop-tart for kelloggs i love hondas will never sell my 800vfr i just got a 1982 nighthawk 750 to cafe it and my wife love the my bikes

5. captmikejd

captmikejd New Member

United States
    Usually Florida when I am actually in the US
    Sledrider,
    If it is still in the crate, tell her she is right and ship it to me! I am looking for one for my wife. Is it RWB? She used to ride a Shadow to my VFR and ST. But I took her to the CA Superbike School for her anniversary. After two days on BMW S1000R's she didn't want to go back to the Shadow anymore. Now she rides both my 07 Anniversary VFR and the ST.
    So I could ship the Shadow back to you and your wife would be happier too!
    Just kidding, prover her wrong.

6. 1SWTVFR

1SWTVFR New Member

Just got mine. I'm 49.

7. lmbo

lmbo New Member

old skool old school old fart , old , lol NOT

8. lmbo

lmbo New Member

750 750 750 , 800 ,800 800vt , 750 carb the best, old skool .

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    047_47 vfrbstside eee wb.jpg f9d2.jpg fs_6984.jpg WB_29 whHsiCL4.jpg

69 in 2 months. You kids ride safe, hear ?? Quit lookin at your phone, quit makin so much noise, and stay off my lawn !

If i can't hold up a 750, i've got the 250 miniceptor to ride.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  10. Badbilly

United States
    Now that at least some of the geriatric sharing is over, is anyone riding a VFR older than they are?.

11. agilefalcon

agilefalcon New Member

I'm 49 but turn 50 in 8 days. I rode a beautiful VF1000F 1984-1989. I've had lots of bikes since then but none of them had the magic or the fit and finish of that bike. So, today I traded in my 2007 Suzuki SV1000S and came out of the store with a shiny new VFR1200 - blue is my color so I took the 2012 off the floor.

I had actually been looking at various bikes for the past 18mths with an eye toward doing more long distance riding. BMW, Ducati being the obvious choices so I test rode most of what they have; such as, Multistrada, GS1200, K1300S etc. If I had the money, there would have been one of each in my garage!

I kept coming back to the VFR and a test ride that I had on it (thanks DFW Honda). To see this bike in person is quite different from seeing it in a photo; it's like me - not so photogenic, but in real life - the proportions, the sculpting shows that the designer put soul into the look. Then of course, the engine....

I'm not sure how minor niggles become so amplified to the point that they detract from the bike: Probably from the effort to craft attention getting editorials amongst a sea of bike reviews. Regardless of the reason, let me say that without the excessive hyperbole, that the VFR12000 is superb. It is smooth, it is powerful, the handling - even with my fat ass on it (I'm a muscular 270lbs) is light years ahead of my recently departed SV1000S; it sits tight on the road, absorbs even minor niggles that generally don't displace less articulated suspensions, yet the bike feels cruise missile stable - truly, hard to explain, but the feedback is one of quiet power; a wolf in sheep's clothing.

The press has spoken about the weight of the bike - the 2012 is 591, with all liquids and a full tank of fuel. My 1990 ZX-10 weighed 600lbs without the fuel and the center of mass was a lot higher too. Many of the bikes in this class are within 50lbs of each other and it's quite hard to determine for many of them what that weight includes or doesn't. Let me just say that coming off my 412lb SV1000S to this bike, the weight is inconsequential. The difference I feel is a reflection in the suspension and steering geometries - not in the weight, not in any negative way.

My favorite thing thus far - the fantastic brakes. The linked brakes concept wasn't something that felt like a bonus or advantage to the bike, but they work, and work well. They are powerful and progressive. They have an initial bite like any good sporting brake, but not in an uncontrolled way such as on the Aprilia where the Brembo can throw you over the bar on a dry day, or lose your front end on a typical Texas, well oiled parkway. No, they did it just right. I could keep my left leg on the ground for balance in heavy traffic (stop and go) and just tap the rear break with my foot to bring positive (and yes, balanced) braking to the bike. It's been a while since I felt the rear brake pedal actually doing real braking.

The shaft drive won't tell you that it's there at all. Only in one instance while in the aforementioned stop and go traffic did it notify me of its presence. I was in second gear, very low rpm and I noticed some drive-line snatch. I should have been in first, but you know how it is in nasty traffic. Notching into first gear solved that and the motor was happier for it too. Other than that, you wouldn't know you were on a shaft driven bike.

Yeah, I'm pleased with it. Some have written here that the VFR1200F is not a real VFR. Initially, I was inclined to side with that statement having ridden the VF1000F (in Candy Red) for so many years while in the military and then into college. But, I've changed my mind now that I've sat in the saddle for a few hours. It is a true VFR, the next generation VFR.

Honda would serve all of us well to bring out a MotoGP inspired V4, that's what a lot of us thought this VFR would be; but in all truthfulness, while I would love this to occur, I'm not sure that my neck and back could take an aggressive riding posture for the length of time that I'm planning on riding. If you look back at bikes such as the "old" VF1000F or even the ZX-10, their riding positions were much more upright than even the VFR1200F. I've looked at all my old photos of my early bikes, and this is the case with all of them. So, unless the upcoming V4 sport bike (if true and not yet another rumor), I probably wouldn't be getting one for that reason. There is certainly room in the market for one, and if I had the money, I'd put one in my garage.

No bike is perfect, but I think in all fairness, the VFR1200F is one awesome bike. The more I look at it, the more I ride it, the more I realize that Honda gave us a superb piece of engineering that all of us here could enjoy. Thank you Honda!

12. Badbilly

United States
    A. Harley's are perfect. Ask any Harley service manager or mechanic in a Harleydood botique.

Other than that, well said Sir.

13. V4play

V4play New Member

DSCF2734.jpg DSCF2736.jpg
    I'm 57 and LOVE my '91

14. warpedrotor

warpedrotor New Member

Map
    46. Yep.....

15. splitfin

splitfin New Member

im 57 years old, and my son and i regularly hit the roads . his only compaint with my age is that i tend to outride him(guess since ive been riding since before he was born). As long as you can twist the throttle and apply the brake head out there and enjoy life.

16. vtechinterceptor

vtechinterceptor New Member

What's old! I am 42 and don't ever plan on selling my 2004 vfr! I just added Leo Vince exhaust power commander and o2 eliminators and K&N air intake! Looking for suggestions on what to add next?

17. VFRMAN44

VFRMAN44 New Member

I think i'm probably thee Youngest guy in this forum... Hahah 20 here.

18. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    20? WTF man. I now have TWO kids older than you.

Good on ya, kid. 'Bout time some of you youngsters showed some brains and bought a VFR.

19. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
    I was the first to post up back in 09 when this thread started. Well, I'm 58 now and still ride a VFR - thought it is now a 86 VFR700 as the 07 VFR800 went so a Goldwing could take it's place as the two up ride for me and my wife. Hard to argue with her when (being 20 years younger than me :tongue:) she says, "we need a comfy seat bike". But I am still unwilling to give up having a VFR.

20. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    your a pup Matt-------and a dam good beginner-------best I've seen yet---cheers:focus: