How to give your VFR a lobotomy, or front head removal made easy...

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by douglasthecook, Aug 8, 2009.

1. douglasthecook

douglasthecook New Member

United States
    Map
    Ok, so twice now my VFR has spit out the #2 spark plug in protest. I don't know why she acts this way, I treat her right, give her plenty of love in the way of upgrades, keep her clean, and say nice things to her, and about her. I really don't know why she treats me this way. Well I finally got frustrated with her naughty behavior and decided to pull her head and set her straight!!! I followed the Clymers manual for the most part, but it doesn't cover everything, and has you do some un-necessary things. First off, it is wise to drain the coolant, you don't need to drain the oil however. Also you do not need to remove the valve lifters and shims, or the 8mm camshaft gear case bolt. You do need to remove the front header down tubes, as well as the coolant port on the top/back of the cylinder head. You can also leave the engine in the frame for the lobotomy/head removal if you chose.

So for those of you that are going to say..."this thread is worthless w/o pics", well my wife is back in the States and has the camera, plus if you want pics, look in the manual, it has pics!!! If you don't have one, I strongly suggest you get one, so there!!!

Anyway after pulling her head I did see that the #2 spark plug threads were indeed stripped. I'm going to go to my local trustworthy machine shop and see if Herr Kroschel can install the required heli-coil for me. Over-all this wasn't a bad procedure, other than that dang radiator getting in the way...it took me 3 hours to do from start to finish. I also need to order the required gaskets and a new fuel petcock which has been leaking on me for the past 5 or so weeks...dang VFR's and their needs...

Now I'm gonna go shower, go into Speicher get a Kebop and relax for the rest of the evening, knowing that there isn't anything else that I can do until Monday...job well done!!!

2. deepdish

deepdish Banned

purgatory.........................................
    are you talking to yourself???:rolleyes:not sure why i want to look through the manual, but I am glad you got it going in the right direction make sure you use soap, i am off to take a dump now............:wacko::scubalong::bandito::bandito: