HPS Crash Guards

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by VifferChic, Apr 9, 2003.

1. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

Has anyone else tried the HPS Crash Guard that Karl recommended from VFRworld's modification section?  I emailed Giles (as suggested by Karl) to get the current price on the guard and it was approximately $250 with a third of it being the S & H cost.  I wouldn't mind spending that kind of money if I knew it was really worth it.  Karl seems to think so.  

Here is the link that will take you to the review.   http://www.vfrworld.com/reviews/hps.html

Anyone have any feedback?

2. Greatbrit

Greatbrit New Member

3. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
  4. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
  5. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

Hey Rumblefish,

Thanks for the web site to check out. I read the reviews and, again, different views. However, there are more "goods" than "bads" so what the heck. I did email the guy about prices and they have gone up dramatically since the review given by Dave on VFRworld a while back. Imagine that! I think it will cost around $250 - $275 to buy the crash guards and have them shipped here with a 1/3 of the price being S&H.

6. Rumblefish

Rumblefish New Member

Map
    Yep,
    I e-mailed Graham at HPS and got the same answer you did. Seems a bit pricy, but then again not as much as having to replace all the plastic and everything else on one side.
    I read the one guy's post who had these on his "green VFR" during a 65mph slide and he seems very happy with their performance.
    Time to start saving some money:)
    RF

p.s. I tried to remove the duplicate post I made..oops...but I can't seem to do it.

7. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

I'm with you. I'd like to see the pics of the "green VFR". The guy seems pleased and said it saved his bike from being written off. I think the posts said that he was the on with the pics...pretty sure he was the one. And as far as the price, I guess it does beat replacing a lot of plastic or even total loss of the bike. Time to save! :p

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I've had the HPS sliders on my '99 VFR 800 for several months. Nice / trick bit of engineering / fabrication, but expensive and heavy. I got caught out in a freak snow storm and took not one but 4-5 spills from 35 mph or less in 2-3 inches of snow. Note to self: park it and walk home. The sliders worked with out a scratch to the body work but took 1/2 inch off the left slider, I always fall left, and the left Y2K mirror was scratched as well the left pass. foot peg bracket, and yes eventually the shift lever bent so I couldn't shift. I rode the bike home, slowly, dirt track style. Upon inspection, the slider bracket (plated mild steel) had pushed into the left radiator, but after straightening, rad. flush and pressure test I was out riding in a day or so. Yes they saved the body parts. Replacement sliders are not readily found stateside, but HPS has them for lots of $$$$. One drawback is you have to mod. the rad. overflow tank or use a smaller one. With effort it'll fit but kicks the left body panel out an inch or so. I'd also look at the CSC Moko sliders which may be better mounted but not located, you also have to cut holes in the body work, and yes mod. the overflow tank. Although they were not scratched I think bar end sliders are a good idea having fallen on other bikes. The VFR is also my bike for rainy track days so sliders are an absolute must. The VFR is still the best all round bike bar none.

Cheers!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I put them on my 1998 and like them. I had some of my friends lower the bike to see what hits first. On both sides the plastics hit way before the frame slider. These will not save your plastics at all! But it will save alot of other stuff. I am thinking of making a spacer piece to bring them out more so they save the plastics.

10. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

Mike,

Thanks for that piece of information. I am also looking for something that will not only save my bike in a major off but will also save my plastics in a simple drop. Is that too much to ask for? :-/

Let me know if you make some spacers for the HPS guards. I'd be curious to know how it works for you. I've also been throwing around the idea of getting the R&G frame sliders. Do you know if these will protect plastics since they protrude much farther?

11. afterburn

afterburn New Member

Map
    Vifferchick: retracktable trainer wheels on each side? ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't worry too much if it's to save the tupperware from an accidental 0mph drop. The tupperware is flexible and unless it goes down with a bang, which is unlikely at 0mph, the worst that's probably gonna happen is the platic fasteners go bye-bye and you have a little scratch or two; no cracks.

12. VifferChic

VifferChic New Member

You're probably right, AB. I guess I'm just a little protective of my P&J...don't want it to have any scratches..I guess they add character, right? 8)